UTT Migration: PokeStar Studios

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by Leon Vane, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    Bringing the Unova Think Tank out of the chat and into the forums for a very special edition!

[​IMG]

I want to be overly ambitious with this aspect of Unova. I want our version to accurately reflect the cultural icon it became in the games.

Scripts:

Since the TRPG is set ~12 years (iirc) after Black 2 and White 2, that means it's perfect for remakes to emerge, allowing us to do film the canon movies with TRPG characters. But remakes and gritty reboots are lame when we can do so much more..

I would like to have members submit movie scripts and, if accepted, be rewarded in some form. This could be in the form of TMs, OIPoints, whatever. However, to be deserving of such nice prizes, they would have to pass an initial PokeStar board of directors panel before being submitted to the admins for final approval. This board would be comprised of members voting on the quality of the script in a simple "yay or nay" fashion.

To make it fairer to those who cannot come up with incredible plots on the spot, there would be a cooldown of when someone could submit a new script after having their last one accepted.

For canon scripts, they would have to be modified slightly in order to not be word-for-word copies of how they were before (so people can't just google an appropriate response).

Some scripts could be just an exchange between mod and trainer. Other scripts could be multi-user events that rely on more than just a moderator's response to advance the story.

Acting:

Rental Pokemon are lame. I want that requirement gone.

When you act in a film, I feel it should be a reasonable amount of action updates - at least six, maybe more. Not for the entire movie; just a scene or two, and your performance during that part is prorated to act as your overall acting ability during the movie. It would also focus on action updates instead of battles, though some movies would require combo updates of both battling and action updates.

If a pokemon of yours is a star, then you'd get a boost to your final "score" that would positively impact the movie's results.

Rewards:

This is what I feel will be the most controversial.

I would like to reward pokemon that act in a movie with experience points and levels. This is mainly to benefit the Aspertia path, which lacks the room to space out grinding for Burgh before the paths meet in Castelia.

Rewards for pokemon that become stars would be given 150% exp.

I have no system devised for "if you did [x] quality, pokemon get [y] experience" yet.

Access:

PokeStar Studios is a global cultural icon whose movies are shown in theaters worldwide. Gym leaders from numerous regions have starred in their films. Therefore, I would like PokeStar Studios to be accessed globally.

Unova Aspertia Path: As soon as reaching Virbank
    Unova Nevema Path: Upon reaching Castelia City
    Foreign trainers: After attaining three badges in your current region

Conclusion:

I have a lot of ideas and almost none of them are fully fleshed out. That's why I've decided to make this a topic instead of trying to solve it in a single night with only six or seven members giving input.

2. BryanVIII

BryanVIII OI's Green Assassin

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Charmander
    Idea: For movie rating exp conversion how about a five star system with each star giving a 20% exp gain so

:star: - 20%
    :star: :star: - 40%
    :star: :star: :star: - 60%
    :star: :star: :star: :star: - 80%
    :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: - 100%

3. Novoni

Novoni Destroyer of Phairis

RePG:
    Profile:
    This sounds like it could be really neat! I think I'm just a little confused as to how it would be carried out (and this may be partly due to the fact that I've never played BW2)- would this take place within a player's adventure topic, or be a separate thing? And you mean that we'd be essentially adapting the plots of Mewtwo Strikes Back, Pokemon 2000, Pokemon 4Ever, Heroes, etc?

So if that were the case, I'm just going to provide a little example and you can tell me if I have the right idea or if I'm way off-base (which is entirely possible!). So let's say I'd have my little Unova person submit a script for a remake of Spell of the Unown- would I submit a summary, or an actual script with every line of dialogue? How long would these have to be? The entire movie? Or a brief summary of the movie with one scene's dialogue? Oh, and would the protagonist of the movie be my Unova person, who'd I guess be a bit of a narcissist in writing a movie which stars themselves?

So let's say that in my new Spell of the Unown, I'll make some changes, like both of Molly's parents are researchers and get 'abducted' by the unown and both come back as legendary Pokemon (maybe not Entei this time, something else?), and they kidnap the main character's little brother because Molly wants a brother now or something. And then maybe I'd roleplay the scene where the main character confronts Molly and she decides to use the Unown's powers to make herself older and give herself whatever Pokemon she wants, so there'd be the possibility for roleplaying through a weird crystal castle world as well as battling.

How much detail would be needed? Should I go into some details about Molly's parents' marital problems and how those are resolved at the end? Should I explore the world of the Unown more, where the parents are presumably just chilling somewhere while this happens? Or would they actually be turned into the legendary Pokemon and you see them change back at the end? I'm partially concerned for some of the newer members who might not be as familiar with roleplaying yet/not as interested yet, though I guess if you weren't interested then you just wouldn't bother with these?

Sorry for the tl;dr riddled with questions aaaaa.

4. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    Easiest way is going to break this down one at a time, so here goes. Comments in fancy color.

5. Novoni

Novoni Destroyer of Phairis

RePG:
    Profile:
    Oh I see, the games had some default movies and that's what you meant.... not the canon anime movies, heh.

So when it comes to 'acting' out the scene or whatever, would you essentially be roleplaying as actor(s) (different than your RPG character... who's the writer?), as well as the Pokemon (which would actually be your in-game Pokemon?)

And I think that an automatic 'bad ending'/failure works for a blatant, ridiculous attempt at 'strange ending,' that makes sense. Hopefully people who have actually played the games will be able to give more ideas/insight for this, unfortunately I missed out on those.

6. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    It would be your RPG character acting in the movie, and the pokemon used would be a mon or mons of theirs that they choose.

7. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    What the
    What the Pokestar Studios did in-game was that your character would be an actor in a short film; they walked on set and had to act out a small script, taking the role of one of the characters.

I think the proposition here is that we, the players, would be able to put together small scrips that a character would then be able to perform and react to. Reacting 'appropriately' during the action prompts and winning the designated fight (or performing specific actions during the designated fight) would result in a 'good' movie, while acting strangely or losing the fight would be a bad end/'strange end'.

8. Gamma

Gamma Simply Walks Into Mordor

RePG:
    Profile:
    B-b-b-b-but that could potentially derail my grandiose plans involving Ishmadal and a Lawrence Soleanna III!

Nah, just kidding. I plan to implement more positive nods to the Pokemon movies in my own RP to justify the fact I do not ever plan for Chernabog to go to Unova and play the role of Mewtwo in Pokemon: The First Movie and be an absolute boss in a Mewtwo-themed dress.

9. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    that's not even how it works

10. Gamma

Gamma Simply Walks Into Mordor

RePG:
    Profile:
    Well that blows. So much for considering having a straight protagonist wear a Mewtwo dress unironically...

11. BryanVIII

BryanVIII OI's Green Assassin

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Charmander
    Ok how about this: We do the scripts like we did the mission ideas. We have people create and submit script ideas and then choose a number of them. They have movies that range from two scenes to like seven scenes (Easily translated to updates). As for the rating, it'd be a shame if someone missed out because the way they "acted" didn't please one person so I think for something like this there should be at least three people judge them to make things as fair as possible.

12. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    A standard single action update hardly constitutes what I'd call a "scene." I do feel that there'd need to be a movie-judging panel, though.

13. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
  14. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Um, so if we are bring trainer classes back, why not just have actor be a new class? Then we can base this format on how the classes work (I just don't know if the classes were revamped or not)