this is the part where Phoenixsong makes an art thread

Discussion in 'The Studio' started by Phoenixsong, Feb 9, 2011.

1. DancinBee

DancinBee Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Pyroo
    I love all of your artwork phoenixsong. Do you use a tablet?

2. Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong Is okay. Obby is often used as punishment.

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    Thank you! But no, I draw/ink with pencil/pen and color with a mouse. I do own a tablet, but it's old, doesn't play very nicely with my computer anymore and the pen is incredibly uncomfortable for me to hold long enough to actually practice with it and get good at it. >>; I'd like to be able to do tablet stuff as well, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Thread needs moar fakemons. Needs moar MASSIVE ART DUMP of fakemons.

[​IMG]
    :grass: :poison:

Mefflora, a way-way-old starter idea (yes, from before stunky and skuntank) for a sweet-smelling skunk that is no longer a starter but is still kind of cool. It has evolutions but I'm not as fond of the way they came out so I'm not posting them. Go find them yourselves if you really want to see them.

[​IMG]
    :ice: :flying:

Rakateis. It's an icepecker. Not entirely sure what else to say about it, so there you go.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    :water: - :water: :steel:

Turistar and turumaken. Also from before tirtouga/carracosta. And before the turtwig line. Don't look at me like that. >| Anyway these are ninjas that can throw themselves like shuriken and are fast and awesome, so they're different, and also who doesn't love moar testudines, mirite?

And now for stuff that's actually not on the website yet... not where you can see it, anyway. Seeeeeecretssss etc.

Here's a llama
    there's a llama
    and another little llama
    fuzzy llama
    funny llama
    llama llama duck

Llama llama
    cheesecake llama
    tablet, brick, potato, llama
    llama llama mushroom llama
    llama llama duck

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    :ice: - :ice: :fighting:

...okay so technically invicunya and heladalca are alpacas, not llamas. But heladalca is also sort of based on a "guard llama" (which is a thing that actually exists) and any excuse for the llama song, so.

[​IMG]
    :water: :poison:

Aeolagio, a relatively new last-minute swap-in based on the single most awesome sea slug in the world. Like for srs this is a real animal isn't it the best animal. It hovers upside-down (yes, it is in fact upside down and that is in fact intentional) over the water and eats tentacool and stuff and stores their poison stingers in those little dark tips. The real one does something similar with man-o-wars and bluebottles and stuff so I have no freaking idea why those guys are ballsy enough to hold them in their bare hands. Not that you could hold aeolagio in your hands anyway because it's kind of really a lot bigger than that. But. Anyway. One of my new favorites.

[​IMG]
    :water: :dark:

Khargonaut. I bet you have no idea what it evolves from and even with carvanha and sharpedo and a conspicuous empty space right next to them on my various pokédex listings you never saw this coming. Never.

The llamapacas, the slug and the sharkboat are things I've technically posted elsewhere (not like anyone actually knows I have a Tumblr, though, so I dunno if that actually counts), but because you guys are kind of cool and I've deprived you of my fakemon spam for so long you get two extra ones that are really nowhere else right now! (That you can see!) Don't you feel special now?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    :dark: - :dark:

Kiblis and ibazel. Kind of sort of loosely based on the origin of the term "scapegoat"—people believe that kiblis are bad luck so they chase them away from their homes/towns/villages/llamas and cast their bad thoughts away with them. WHEN IN ACTUALITY kiblis are probably pretty harmless! but they don't appreciate having everyone's raeg issues dumped on them so they hold a grudge and come back after they evolve and are all "payback time, come at me bro" and stuff.

I'm actually reeeally close to finishing the New Logoran pokédex, too, and I'm trying to get as much as I can done as soon as I can so there will probably actually be more in a somewhat-timely fashion! :D go meeeeee row row fight the powah actually get shit done, etc.

3. Novoni

Novoni Destroyer of Phairis

RePG:
    Profile:
    You always have the coolest ideas! I love Mefflora, it's adorable, and Khargonaut is just awesome, I love his little grin with his huge pointy teeth. Rakateis' ice goggles are also awesome, and I like how the blue feathers on his head go down to form a little scarf-thing around his neck. And Aeolagio's probably my favorite; I also really want one of those little critters in real life now. It really is like the best animal.

4. Winterbane

Winterbane Warden of the North

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    HOLY CRAP RAKATEIS. Those ice goggles are SO COOL. Also; Aeolagio is pretty damned awesome too. Hell, they're all awesome. :eek:

5. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon Pummelo Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Death punching llama. I am satisfy.

6. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    SO GUYS. Dunno if you saw my most recent status thing, but I finished all the art for the New Logoran fakemon! Some of the art is almost three years old and the age is showing so I'll be redoing them eventually, but effectively all of the fakemon actually have a completed design (and stats and stuff but this is an art thread so who cares about that right now). So while I nurse my aching hands and carpal tunnel syndrome (and maybe, just maybe, get back to work on those final projects/presentations), I figured I'd celebrate by actually updating my poor, neglected thread.

So! Firstly! A link to the full thingie (it are hueg) so you can marvel at how there are no longer any empty spaces! Whoo, progress!

...okay, so there are still seven empty spaces at the end. The art for the stuff that goes there is finished, too; I'm just being sneeeaky and not showing anyone atm. Can't just go around revealing legendaries willy-nilly, can I? especially if NL does become an R2R region because then what would I have to taunt you about plot with?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    :fire: - :fire: :psychic:

Virlich and gasvirlich. Will-o-wisps, basically. Not really sure I can think of anything else to say.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    :rock: :fire: - :rock: :fire:

Fallorite and volstarite. Not sure what to say about these, either, if only because I'm still not sure exactly what they are. Meteors with weird fiery energy life-forms inhabiting them, or... or something. Um.

[​IMG]
    :steel:

Razelodon, the giant metal murderpig. That is all.

Those five were from a little while ago. Now we also have:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    :ghost: - :ghost: / :dark: - :ghost: / :psychic:

Galorindle, which evolves into either galaraud (by level) or galoryph (with a Logos Stone). Galaraud can alter the light cast by the orb in its hand so that only it can see it, giving it enough light to burglarize your house with while still leaving you in the dark; galoryph uses its orb to search ancient ruins for... something. No one really knows exactly what it's looking for.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

'Member these guys? These are dyferal and dybelial, the stage 1 and stage 2 of New Logora's second 600-beast line (and also its fossil line). They also happen to be the oldest NL fakemon art, drawn waaay back in late 2008. They're... okay, considering these were pretty much my first attempts at Sugimori-style art. The outdated style and a few anatomical issues were bugging me, however, so I took a chainsaw pencil to them and made them prettier:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:rock: :dragon: - :rock: :dragon:

Muuuch better. Less chunky, better shading, more accurate representations of the dinosaurs/dragons they're based on, etc..

(The basic stage, dyrascal, is slightly less terrible looking in spite of being just as old; still, I'll probably redo it soon anyway, just so it matches these two.)

Dyrascal, dyferal and dybelial aren't New Logora's only ancient pokémon, though. Scientists have found fossil remains of at least three other prehistoric species; the problem is, they haven't yet been able to resurrect any living pokémon from those fossils the way they have with dyrascal fossils. (Several of them suspect it's because those pokémon weren't rock-types and so not as much viable genetic material was preserved.) While they puzzle out ways to refine their revival techniques so they work with non-rock DNA, they've asked New Logora's leading pokémon tech company to create robotic restorations of them to help figure out what they might have been like in life:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    :steel: - :steel: - :steel:

Dartizel-R, loftitan-R and halberax-R ("R" for "restoration", etc.) are the results of those restorations. It's still not clear what types the original dartizel, loftitan and halberax would have been in real life, or what sort of moves they would know, but the scientists gave the designers their best estimates and gave them a little license with the rest. Still a lot of bugs to iron out, but if you know who to ask you might be able to get yourself a robosaurmon to beta test...

And since I wasn't kidding about having around 400 (or more >>; ) more fakemon to start designing, I also figured I'd get a start on that. I've got a few brainstorming sketches here, here and here, if you'd care to see a few pre-pokemans. Oh god so many bugs I don't even.

SO MUCH ART I DON'T EVEN, YOU GUYS.

7. Joon

Joon Grief Clown

RePG:
    The meteor line is as bamf it can get.

/glomps, then burns

8. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    Was bored and having trouble focusing on doing the thousand things I am actually supposed to be doing, so I decided to spend a little time playing around with sigs. I've never really done much with this sort of thing before, so I dunno if they're actually any good—mostly I just had a whole mess of new Photoshop brushes I felt like playing with and barfed them all over the backgrounds. Eh.

First I did one for aeolagio:

[​IMG]

I can has trifecta too?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did emburst first, then verdon, then riptursa. Verdon came out the best, imo. I had other versions that used pretentious song titles instead of the names, and still others that had both the pokémon name and the song title, but you really only need to see one version (and I couldn't think of a decent song title for riptursa and the internet was down at the time and so that one is kind of meh).

And then a kiyarok as an excuse to play with some cloud brushes. Not really sure what I was doing aside from that.

[​IMG]

Part of me is kind of enjoying this and wants to try taking requests along these lines, but I probably shouldn't be giving myself any more obligations on top of everything I'm already letting slip. Maybe later after I get my freaking act together.

aaand I was going to post a few fakemon revamps but the word filter is borking my urls again and I'm too lazy to upload them anywhere else right now. Oh well.

9. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    PS, how do you THINK of these ideas? They're absolutely mind-bogglingly AMAZING. I have that sort of creativity, but sadly, I do NOT have the art skills to draw Sugimori/Pseudomori style...

Also, a question: Are Makima (#32) and Makitaku (#33) based on the itto-momen youkai? Or those generic "Asian Undead" tags you see on...well, most Asian Undead?

10. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    Thanks!

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that youkai, so any similarities are unintentional. They aren't related to death at all, actually—they're just animated makimono/kakemono (painted (hanging) scrolls).

11. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    ...I want to use that wonderful little Sea slug in my sig... O_O May I?
    ...And Emburst while I'm going through Amaya.

*I want one for a pet, too*

And I'm seriously hoping that you and the other mods decide to make these regions or you decide to make a fake game for people because dear god I want these so bad... They are beautiful and well done and OMFGThereissomeonethatcandrawbirds*drools*

12. Suzuran

Suzuran Hope will never die!

RePG:
    Profile:
    I love this, and I love you.
    there is nothing bad I can say about any of this.
    +1 rabid fangirl

13. Kitsune_XIII

RePG:
    Profile:
    ...I'm making a Dream Team of these guys if you don't mind...

Osgrave, Ibazel, Nulohm / Ramfere / Distrike, Aeolagio, Volstarite, Dybelial

14. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    You two are far too kind, really. :3 Thank you! Sure, Kitsu, you can use those banners if you like. Anyone can, I guess. I'm sure not doing anything with them right now. (And that "dream team" you made has quite a few of my personal favorites... I mean, I like all of them, I wouldn't have made them if I didn't, but I like your taste there. :D)

As for being able to actually play with these in some sort of game... I'd like to! I've been kicking something around lately, anyway, so we'll just have to see what comes of it. The comment about the region possibly being accessible here was mostly a joke, heh. Even if the admins were considering it, and if they are they haven't told me, they've got a lot of other stuff to finish up, like the rest of Amaya and Unova, before they can really throw themselves into something else.

Meant to say something a bit sooner, and maybe a bit more substantial, but I have projects to finish up and probably shouldn't even be on here right now, whoops. Just didn't want to forget about replying entirely before getting buried.

(That and I wanted to make sure the mods didn't lock this for bumping because I am actually going to post some other stuff soonish. aaaah y so neglected, thread, I promise I will stop ignoring you as soon as these projects are dooone)

15. Kitsune_XIII

RePG:
    Profile:
    Yay! Thank you.
    Designs like these are actually the reason my fake region has 3 parties of 8 Pokémon per player. Too many choices.

16. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    EDIT: since the word censor still insists on "correcting" the capitalization and diacritics in my links, today you get special infocard things from deviantART instead of the regular pictures for most of these fakes. Lucky you!

...please fix the word filter it makes my foldernames sad :(

oh god zombie thread kill it kill it kiiiiiill iiiiiit

so yeah. fakemans. Did you guys realize there was a tropical rainforest-dwelling frog in New Logora even though there are no rainforests or anything remotely similar? Because I didn't. Until yesterday. I am the most observant.

So I kicked the frog out—I'll find something to do with it later—and

[​IMG]

put a beaded lizard there instead. Much better.

Spraylet and Pandive were looking really old and ugly so I redid them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and I fixed the Faelani starters (you know, that other region I've been neglecting hardcore because I am a bad parent) so they were more consistent and less idiotic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The former "Tulisard" and "Flytragoon", with new names and new designs and their not-yet-revamped-evolution-only-presented-here-for-context-since-it's-been-a-while. Yeah. (blah blah blah grass/flying is an "awful starter typing" do I look like I give a damn no okay just checking)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember their old designs? No? Lucky you. Drawing humanshape pokémon suuuuuucks but oh well at least these aren't the Old Designs so whatever. (And they're definitely not the OLD Designs, but those will never see the light of internet thank god.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Demoted the old water starters to regular wilds (and axed the middle stage entirely because it was gross) and made shiny new gargoyley ones instead.

Oh! And there's this! A sort of... experiment I finished up today, if you will. ;)

[​IMG]

Next time probably some not-fakemans. Possibly in addition to some more not-not-fakemans, maybe. If there is a next time. Because ZOMBIE THREAD KILL IT

(why do I always update this when I'm feeling tired and stupid)

[​IMG]

uh oh what are those?!?!?!???!11!?//?!1

(here's a hint, they're me giving myself additional totally unnecessary work for a totally unnecessary stupid hobby)

17. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Not awful for a starter typing. How many Ice pogeymanz you runnin' into in a tropical region? Ok, that's what I thought.

Beautiful pictures. Got any stat spreads or did I miss those already? (Apparently I love numbers and such.)

18. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    No, I was saying that one of my regions had a tropical pokémon in it even though the region itself wasn't tropical, so that pokémon needed replacing; I didn't say the second region was tropical. :P Not a ton of ice-types in Faelan (insofar as that means anything without having finalized the pokédex or anything else), but more than there would be if it were, in fact, closer to the equator.

They do have stats and moves and all of that stuff; they're just on my fakedex's website and I'm generally too lazy to bother putting them up here/most other places I post them. Buuuut since you asked:

Thunderma: 105/90/70/45/65/50
    Osgrave (final stage of Spraylet/Pandive): 80/112/70/80/81/112
    Mandragoon: 70/105/90/110/70/90
    Asgolan: 73/75/70/107/90/120
    Guillorent: 100/80/85/115/85/70
    Dybelial (in the VS image): 90/95/80/130/110/95
    things in spoiler: breadcrumbs?

...yeah.

(Any chance you can admin-ninja away the word censor that automatically corrects "pokémon" (without the accent) to "Pokémon", if it's okay with everyone else? The censor keeps editing links, including my image links, so that they break, and I think it was agreed before that it was okay to get rid ot it? Eh.)

19. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Oh look! special based starters! We don't have none of those here. /shot by everyone

I'll see what I can do about that word filter.

20. Phoenixsong

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    welp

[​IMG]

Been meaning to make illustrations of some of my fakemans using the fake moves I made up, so

yeah

these are that. They’re not the most inspired compositions or anything, but oh, well, still lerning. So far these are all sig moves exclusive to the respective lines, non-sig stuff will be drawn later when I figure out whatever.

Lizeroon using wild shriek (-2 target SpD, +1 user SpA), telerond using fiery charm (100% acc will-o-wisp), guilgile using clear rain (synthesis for rain).

[​IMG]

This one is newer, as in "why I'm up at 5 AM today" newer. Not thrilled with the path the lightning is taking but I give uuuuuup.

Distrike using arclightning (priority icicle spear)

Also, some stuff that is not fakemon from a while ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]