The Kanto Regional Revamp Project

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Chimera

Chimera Minor Junior Private Negative First Class

RePG:
    Profile:
    All I can really say is that adding a few non-gym-focused towns/cities will make something we're planning on doing easier, and that they won't just be filler. At least, not for everyone, anyway. There is a purpose beyond "the region is too small right now."

Could definitely see Sunny Town being added in at the base of Cycling Road: breaks up a bit of the crush by spacing out Celadon and Fuchsia. Can also put one or two islands in between Fuchsia and Cinnabar, either having the Seafoam Islands between them or...something like that. Maybe put Wisteria Town on the eastern edge of the islands, and Chrysanthemum or Metallica Island on the west side, with ocean routes on the far sides of each? ...and Silver Town, putting it just before Lavender, would be a good place to put the third gym? So then:

Rock Tunnel -> Silver Town (gym) -> short route -> Lavender Town -> route -> Vermillion City (gym) -> route -> Saffron City -> route -> Celadon City (gym) -> Cycling Road -> Sunny Town -> route -> Fuchsia City (gym) -> route -> Wisteria Town -> Seafoam Islands -> Chrysanthemum/Metallica Island -> route -> Cinnabar Island (gym) (New Island access) -> route -> Terracotta Town? -> access to Viridian Gym

Or something like that. Could move the gym from Cinnabar to the island before it, so access to Cinnabar (and maybe completing a sidequest there) can be all that's needed to access the Viridian gym (since otherwise you'd basically go straight from gym town to gym town without so much as a route in between, without that artificial cramming-in of Terracotta Town there, which really does just serve to pad)?

Additionally, to keep to the Kanto in-game naming convention, if people care about that:
    Sunny Town -> Sienna Town
    Chrysanthemum Island -> Lilac Island

(Wisteria is actually a color in addition to being a flower...or at least, according to Crayola it is. Good enough for me. Silver could be changed to Thistle or something if we don't want it conflicting with Mt. Silver.)

2. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I would vote for Chrysanthemum Island instead of Metallica Island. Not really any "beachy" places in Kanto and Cinnabar is probably different now with the eruption anyways. Other than that I like that order a lot.

3. Timeblaze

Timeblaze I'm supposed to hold it by the sharp end, right?

RePG:
    Profile:
    I know I said I'd be fine with some new towns/cities, but five is a bit much. Sunny Town is a bit superficial, and I'd go with Chrysanthenum/Metallica or Terracotta, not both.

4. Chimera

RePG:
    Profile:
    If the gym is moved to Chrystanthemum, Terracotta can be cut: it was only there so we didn't suffer the dumbness of having to put a route after a gym city that has to be traveled before returning to a city the player has already been to in order to access another gym (like the Wattalia situation pre-Amaya revamp), or have one gym city followed by another without so much as a required route between the two. If the 7th gym is moved, Cinnabar can serve as the go-between point rather than Terracotta. Sunny Town works because it's one of the few towns with a set location that lies in the middle of that Vermillion-Saffron-Celadon-Fuchsia glut, which means it helps break that up a bit. The later gyms end up a bit spread out as a result, but that's not the end of the world.

5. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Yeah let's do that and we can just say the gym was never rebuilt on Cinnabar due to Blaine retiring before the construction was complete. (And then maybe a sidequest on Cinnabar with an unfinished gym that has Fire Type Pokemon on it. Also, what about the Sevii Islands?

6. Chimera

RePG:
    Profile:
    The Sevii Islands in their RPG form are a post-E4 area, I believe: more of their own entity. They don't really factor into regional progression, as they did in FR/LG when they took the role of the spacer/training area between the 7th and 8th gyms we're taking a different approach to here.

7. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Cutting into the discussion about routes n' stuff to talk about Lavender:

I'd suggest having a relatively involved sidequest (though not necessarily mandator) sidequest there, and since I'm still kind of frustrated about what they did to the Pokemon Tower, my proposal is such:

Forgotten Voices
    Mr. Fuji is dead. He's old and he passed away a few months back, to a rather tearful ceremony held in the House of Memories. However, not long after his passing, the Radio Tower began experiencing strange phenomena. Various areas across Kanto would spontaneously become 'dead zones' for a few minutes before returning to normal, but some people -- usually those turned to a specific frequency -- would instead report bursts of screaming static, or ethereal music, or voices speaking in tongues they can't understand. These incidents were rare at first, but over the last few months have become increasingly common.

There's no fault in the equipment, but the tower personnel believe that there may be hauntings afoot, and are ready to hire a spirit medium to help them exorcize the ghosts that may have taken up residence in the building-- forcibly, if necessary.

You can choose to assist the tower by helping to guide the medium and protect them while they perform the rite (a series of action updates (3-5) to reach the location, followed by a wave of attacks by various ghosts culminating into a boss fight against a Gengar. The Pokémon involves in these attacks may be from any region, but they are true ghosts and therefore uncatchable). Defeating the final ghost will have bought the medium enough time to complete the rite, expelling the ghosts from the tower. A strange side-effect of doing this, however, renders the House of Memories unvisitable; the doors have been locked, the windows barred, and a strange chill breathes from beneath the door.

But, if you decide not to do this, you may instead go to the House of Memories to pay your respects. Mr. Fuji is said to have been entombed here, but his grave can't be found on the ground floor. Instead, through a little investigation, you find a passage into the deeper catacombs of the House of Memories, and a voice calls to you from below. Follow the voice and pass through the catacomb's maze (3-5 action updates total), and you'll emerge in a hidden chamber housing the lonesome grave of Mr. Fuji. With Mr. Fuji standing nearby.

Mr. Fuji, himself a spirit, says that the souls of the dislocated Pokémon have never found peace, and beseeches you to help them before they turn violent against the personnel in the Radio Tower. The main idea the ghosts suggest is to help them in freaking out the Radio Tower personnel and 'persuading' them to return the Tower to its rightful owners. Over the course of time (5-8 action updates), either assist the ghost in their plans to evict the personnel, or persuade them that maybe they can find peace without having to destroy a center of communication. If successful, the ghosts will finally find peace, and Mr. Fuji's spirit will also be allowed to move on. If not... well, you can still try that spirit medium, I guess.

The reward you get is the same no matter which path you decide, possibly with a little something extra if you decide to help the ghosts yourself (to make up for the experience not gained). I have no idea what you'd get from this, but, uh... you'd get something.

like seriously though that radio tower is the stupidest goddamn thing in the game it makes me angry

--

I know we're not discussing Cinnibar right now, but just so I don't forget: I'd like to eliminate gyms there entirely and instead suggest another quest involving the Pokémon Mansion. I know it's technically slagged along with the rest of the island, but perhaps there's some kind of underground bunker where some interesting documents (and Pokémon?) are hiding out.

(Just for future reference.)

8. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    "we can just say the gym was never rebuilt on Cinnabar due to Blaine retiring before the construction was complete. (And then maybe a sidequest on Cinnabar with an unfinished gym that has Fire Type Pokémon on it."

9. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    ...are you taking into account that it's a branched path? You don't do both; you either opt to do the first one (couple of action updates, four fights) or the second one (purely action updates that should shake out to about the same amount of turns the first option is).

Also my numbers are perfectly arbitrary and from thin air; you can increase or decrease the encounters/requirements at will.

10. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Ooooh I read that wrong. Sorry. But I still think we should separate the two from each other.

11. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Rock Tunnel -> Silver Town (gym) -> short route (Route 8 Maybe?) -> Lavender Town -> Route 11 & 12 -> Vermillion City (gym) -> route 6 -> Saffron City -> route 7 -> Celadon City (gym) -> Cycling Road -> Sunny Town -> route 18 -> Fuchsia City (gym) -> route 19 -> Wisteria Town -> Seafoam Islands -> Chrysanthemum Island (gym) -> route 20 -> Cinnabar Island (New Island access) -> access to Viridian Gym -> Route 22/23 -> Elite 4

Because of this new order we will have to backtrack a bit to Silver Town.

So this is what Bulbapedia has: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Silver_Town_(Kanto)

So we have a buch of freedom on how we want to make this city. Also I vote that we keep that Fairy Gym and put it here. But besides that we need a description and whatever else we want in the city.

12. Timeblaze

RePG:
    Profile:
    Well, there really isn't much that I can think of for Silver Town. Uh... in Japan, it's called Jitterbug Town, so there's that. And it'd be immediately after Rock Tunnel, so I'd imagine that it would be mountainous.

A mountainous, Fairy, Jitterbug Town. I can't think of anything interesting to go with that, do any of you guys have some ideas?

13. Chimera

RePG:
    Profile:
    It was called Jitterbug Town, the main "local" character from the anime episode was an ex-musician(/rocker)...I'm detecting a bit of a music theme from the town. Makes the Wigglytuff ace in the Fairy gym a slightly better fit, anyway: the gym leader could be a formerly successful singer whose music stopped selling, so she decided to take up a new job and subject gym challengers to her music. Or something. (Pity Kanto doesn't have enough sound-based Pokémon to make an actual Sound gym, or at least not enough - in the right level range - that haven't already been claimed by other gyms: Poliwag, Golbat, Electrode, etc. Of course, it doesn't really have enough viable Fairies for a Fairy gym, either, but that doesn't seem to be stopping us from taking that route...)

All I can say for sure about the town is that there should be a contest hall here once we get contests back up, since it was a contest town in the anime. Could do some sort of little sidequest involving a music festival or something - just battling a few musicians for a Round TM or something? - but beyond that...*shrug* I dunno.

14. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I think it is a good start, I'll give something for side quest after I get home from my act class

15. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Silver Town: A once thriving musical city now rests at one end of Rock Tunnel. While exploring the city you can find many ex-musicians that have found their home in this mountainous city. At the heart of the city you can find an old theatre where many famous concerts were held back in the day. Now it has been transformed into not only the Contest Hall of the city, but also the Gym where you can find ex-Singer Kati Kesh.

The Gym Leader Kati is a Fairy Type Gym Leader. Back in the day her Wigglytuff and her went around Kanto and Johto singing many concerts for thousands and thousands of people. Be careful though. Just because they retired doesn't mean the duet is any less in sync!

[??] :female: :clefairy: ??/?? [Magic Guard] *Knows Glitter Bomb/Round(?)*

[??] :male: :sylveon: ??/?? [Cute Charm] *Knows Glitter Bomb and Synchronoise/Echoed Voice/Round(?)*

[??] :female: :wigglytuff: ??/?? [Cute Charm] *Knows Glitter Bomb/Round(?)*

Prize: ????P, :tmfairy: [Glitter Bomb]

It seems like you are just in time for the annual Silver Town Music Festival! Even though popularity has died down over the past few years, the Silver Town Music Festival still draws in many Musicians from across the world, ready to test their talents against others. But they don't only play, they also battle! This year, in order to try to get Trainers to participate, there will be a challenge to beat 3 musicians in row with their musical Pokemon and the winner gets a special prize! Are you willing to accept the challenge?

Musician #1

[??] :female: :jigglypuff: HP/HP [Cute Charm]

[??] :female: :chansey: HP/HP [Natural Cure]

[??] :female: :cinccino: HP/HP [Cute Charm]

Musician #2:

[??] :male: :loudred: HP/HP [Soundproof] *Knows Hyper Voice*

[??] :male: :palpitoad: HP/HP [Damp] *Knows Hyper Voice]

Musician #3:

[??] :male: :kricketune: HP/HP [Swarm]

[??] :female: :plusomb: HP/HP [Plus] *Knows Sing*

[??] :female: :leafeon: HP/HP [Leaf Guard]

Prize: ?P, TM [Round/Echoed Voice/Other Song TM if there is one]

16. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    Dear Lord, CS, don't make me CRY like that. That is such an awesome mission (and so sad, too!) that I actually for real shed a few tears.

On a more related note, I seem to notice that we're talking about new towns in Kanto? o.o

17. Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong Is okay. Obby is often used as punishment.

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    Kind of unfortunate that wigglytuff has to be the ace considering it's such a drastic step down from sylveon... do we think Sabrina is going to need to keep mr. mime, or can we use that in the second spot instead? Mr. mime also fits the performer/sound-related theme (if only vaguely) better than sylveon does. Of course, miming is about being quiet, but... Maybe the mr. mime doesn't sing but helps out with the special effects during stage shows, idk. There is also clefable, but that's also significantly more powerful than wigglytuff to the point where it still feels weird to me.

Also, some of those pokémon are really reaching with the musical thing. It can't entirely be avoided since there aren't many truly sound-based pokémon and fewer still that really lean on vocals/music as opposed to just horrible noise, but chatot clearly has to be in there somewhere, at least. :p

Also, if we snuck a litleo/pyroar (probably litleo, I guess, given the probable level range) onto the first team and left palpitoad and either leafeon or psibian/gorphibius/nuzleaf (although gj not giving it grass whistle anywhere, Game Freak), we'd have fire/water/grass and could have the prize be a choice of voucher for an elemental song move. That'd probably be much more appealing than round or echoed voice (although I suppose those have to make an appearance in the TRPG eventually). Would have to play around with the levels and order a little bit, as outside of gorphibius none of those replacements are particularly menacing, but it could work.

I like the descriptions in general, but they need a little cleanup for repetition and such:

18. Timeblaze

RePG:
    Profile:
    I think Round will appear in Unova's Accumula Town for a sidequest, and the Elemental Songs work a lot better than Echoed Voice.

19. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    We could replace Minccino with Litleo/Pyroar (I forgot when they evolve)

20. KabuKing

KabuKing How humerus

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    ???
    Changed with suggestions. And which gym is this supposed to be again?