The Hoenn Regional Revamp Project

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by Leon Vane, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    Current discussion:
    None
    [hr]

Littleroot Town • Oldale Town • Petalburg City • Rustboro City • Dewford Town • Slateport City • Mauville City • Verdanturf Town
    Fallarbor Town • Lavaridge Town • Fortree City • Lilycove City • Mossdeep City • Sootopolis City • Pacifidlog Town • Ever Grande City

101 • 102 • 103 • 104 • 105 • 106 • 107 • 108 • 109 • 110 • 111 • 112 • 113 • 114 • 115 • 116 • 117 • 118
    119 • 120 • 121 • 122 • 123 • 124 • 125 • 126 • 127 • 128 • 129 • 130 • 131 • 132 • 133 • 134

Petalburg Woods • Rusturf Tunnel • Island Cave • Granite Cave • Abandoned Ship • Oceanic Museum • Seaside Cycling Road
    Trick House • New Mauville • Desert Ruins • Mirage Tower • Trainer Hill • Fiery Path • Jagged Pass • Mt. Chimney • Desert Underpass
    Meteor Falls • Weather Institute • Scorched Slab • Ancient Tomb • Safari Zone • Mt. Pyre • Lilycove Museum • Shoal Cave
    Aqua Hideout • Magma Hideout • Mossdeep Space Center • Seafloor Cavern • Cave of Origin • Sky Pillar • Victory Road
    Sealed Chamber • Battle Tower/Frontier • Artisan Cave • Altering Cave • Mirage Island

I tried a different approach with this so the OP could be a one-shot-stop for where to go to see what's being discussed, what's been decided and what more still needs to be done. Focus is still on the Kanto topic for now, though.

2. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    Just a question when we get to these other regions: do we have to go in Route order? I personally just got an idea for the Scorched Slab...

3. Chimera

Chimera Minor Junior Private Negative First Class

RePG:
    Profile:
    Seconding this (sans the Scorched Slab bit) - had some possible ideas for rearrangement to make the region just a bit more linear (nothing too drastic, probably...only major difference is that it moves Roxanne significantly later on the gym leader depth chart).

4. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    I think it's best to go in Route Order (since it may have repercussions further down the line), but if you have an idea you should probably write it down for future reference, or so we might be able to set up earlier in the region or provide foreshadowing or something.

5. Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong Is okay. Obby is often used as punishment.

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    More linear? I haven't really looked at Hoenn in all that much depth (what with the whole "zero interest in canon R2R" deal), but what's "non-linear" about it in your opinion, and why should it be made more linear? I'd kinda like to see a little less linearity overall, but maybe there's some sort of problem with the way it is now? I'm not sure.

6. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Hoenn involves a lot of bouncing back and forth and doing backtracking. I think that's what he meant; less with the backtracking, because there is a rather excessive amount of it. Which sounds fine to me.

7. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:

8. Chimera

Chimera Minor Junior Private Negative First Class

RePG:
    Profile:
    That's what I meant, yeah - pre-Surf Hoenn in particular is extremely cyclical, to an extent that is really hard to make work in our RPG format without cutting out about half of the routes or having a side area in every city...whatever. It's not great either way with the current gym set-up.

Current order after Petalburg: Petalburg Forest -> Rustboro -> side route? -> [sea route] -> Dewford (Granite Cave) -> [sea route] -> Slateport -> route/Cycling Road -> Mauville (optional detour to Verdanturf?) -> lots of routes -> Fallarbor -> route -> Meteor Falls -> Mt. Chimney -> Jagged Pass -> separate route from Jagged Pass for some reason -> Lavaridge -> backtrack to battle Norman -> path to Fortree

My proposed order after Petalburg: Petalburg Forest (have to rescue a ferryman from a pack of Poochyena or something) -> Dewford (Granite Cave, Regice sidequest moved inside here I guess?) -> [sea route] -> Slateport -> route/Cycling Road -> Mauville -> route -> Mt. Chimney (ascend through the Fiery Path, maybe do something at the top, descend through the Jagged Pass) -> Lavaridge -> Desert -> route -> Fallarbor -> route -> Meteor Falls -> Rustboro City -> route/Rusturf Tunnel -> Verdanturf -> path to Fortree

(gym order becomes either Norman-Brawly-Wattson/Holmes*-Flannery-Roxanne or Brawly-Wattson/Holmes*-Flannery-Roxanne-Norman, depending on whether we want to get rid of the backtracking issue or not)

(* - Holmes is just a placeholder name in case we decide to replace Wattson on account of age, though I guess Holmes could work as a play on Ohms the same Wattson was a play on Watts, especially if you pronounce it like that one variety of English accent where the H disappears completely and now I'm just rambling and I'll stop now)

...and I'll just leave that here to be discussed when we roll back around to Hoenn, I guess.