The Amaya Regional Revamp Project

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by Leon Vane, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Route 506/(West Amaya Route #1):

6 Wilds (Lvls 33-38), 5 Trainers.

2. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    /kick

3. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    Here's the question: do we want to start capping out the wild levels at this point? Or wait till later?

4. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I mean we have already for previous routes so I say we set it and if there is a severe problem with levels then we can revive this thread to raise them all or lower then all by a certain amount

5. Novoni

Novoni Destroyer of Phairis

RePG:
    Profile:
    This is maybe kind of off-topic right now but I noticed in the Cubble Line's Epic post that Riptursa is listed as 12 feet tall and 5000 pounds and... that's really ridiculously huge.

To uh, stay on topic... I think level capping wilds makes sense.

6. Chimera

Chimera Minor Junior Private Negative First Class

RePG:
    Profile:
    That got fixed in the line's EPIC meeting, I believe. I'm not sure what the measurables were changed to, but it's a bit less extreme now.

As for level capping, it should happen eventually, and now would be a good time to start slowing down the level progression, but maybe cap it a bit higher: 44 or 45 or so, perhaps? (The levels and route reqs look good as they are)

7. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    Riptursa is now only 700 lbs, rather than 5000. ...its still 12 feet tall, due to being based on giant polar bears, and the canon polar bear being 8'something. ^^;

And I'm in agreement here, so I'm good.

8. Novoni

Novoni Destroyer of Phairis

RePG:
    Profile:
    12 feet is entirely too large for a starter. That's about the size of Ho-oh, even. I wouldn't put him taller than Feraligatr, who's around 7 feet IIRC. I know real life polar bears are that large... but this is Pokemon. He shouldn't be twice as big as the other starters (one of which is a dinosaur).

Has the potential branched path been discussed at all for Western Amaya?

9. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I would say it would be okay to put Riptursa at 7-8ft, I mean it isn't like people will look into that in great detail and it is a bit more realistic for Pokemon.

10. Chimera

RePG:
    Profile:
    It's been discussed, just mostly off-site. Basically, we were planning on moving a couple of things around (taking out the backtracking to Wattalia on the east path, moving Crystal Caverns after Toba Village, and putting the 8th gym in a new town after the Caverns), then just having west Amaya follow the same city-route pattern as the revised east Amaya, with the paths rejoining in the Crystal Caverns (so the two paths would have different 6th and 7th gyms: Opal and Bree in the east, the west would likely have a Fire gym along with Ezio, who would move out of Wattalia) and any important plot quests (specifically the Globe Fragment quest(s) and the Zoa Temple scenario) would either be accessible or replicated on the western path. So basically the pattern wouldn't change, there'd just be different stuff on the western path (proposed ideas include a still-active volcano with an abandoned science lab inside, and a petrified forest).

So next up on the paths would be the sixth gym cities, which...at least at the moment just have the sixth gym. Can add something later if we feel like it, but for now we can just focus on the gym levels. They'd still have 4 pokemon at this point, and it's been a decent number of areas since Tala, which capped at 37: would level 45 be too high a capstone level for the 6th gym? was thinking something like 41-45 for level range or something.

11. Zenith

Zenith No Ordinary Swordsman

RePG:
    Profile:
    I made a diagram further up on the page outlining what the plan seems to be as far as layout goes. Nothing else has been worked on yet. Hopefully, fleshing out each area's thematics will be our next step.

Honestly, I just don't see what purpose a wild level cap would have. The canon games have their wilds continue to rise in level all the way up to the League. I could understand having the wild ranges start falling behind, to keep late game mons from being as easy to slot into a team, but why cap them all?

And a little bit of catch up. Forgive me if my word choice is out of left field, I'm dealing with yet another head cold. >_>

Route 506/(West Amaya Route #1)
    -6 Wilds, 4 Trainers
    -Wild Level Range: 34-39
    Took one trainer off the reqs so the route has less of a chance to drag while still being lengthy. Wild ranged raised a level so that it feels at least a small step up from the previous dungeons.

Searidge City/(West Amaya Equivalent)
    -Gym Leader: Opal/(Undecided)
    -Level range: 41-44
    Long route beforehand, but we still need to keep the level curve from getting too out of hand. Gym leaders always have more toys to play with than rivals do anyway, so to speak.

Semi-related: I think having a volcano in one section of West Amaya could be cool, if it's done in a way that's different from Mt. Chimney over in Hoenn. I even came up with the name Obsidine for the gym city, if it gets implemented that way. That said, though, worldbuilding is taking a back seat until we get these level ranges done. My original plan was to have Phase 2 of the revamps focus on just that, figuring out what each location's identity would be and how they'd fit into Amaya as a whole, so we'd know what lines would work best where and which would be harder to place before we start finalizing any wild lists. Thoughts?

12. Roxas

Roxas Prince of the Stars Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    Works.

13. Doof

Doof frogs are good Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    I like the ranges and the volcano idea!

14. Chimera

RePG:
    Profile:
    Those ranges look good to me.

15. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I like the lists and I say we talk more about the Volcano idea when we reach that phase but I really like that idea.

16. Zenith

RePG:
    Profile:
    Cool stuff. Let's keep the ball rolling, shall we?

Zen Forest West/(West Amaya Major Forest)
    -6 Wilds, 3 Trainers
    -Wild level range: 37-41
    Here's where the wild ranges can start slowing down. Both forests are pretty extensive, but from a TRPG standpoint, there's still another route after them, and from an in-universe standpoint you're only going through half of Zen Forest and we could write the West Amaya counterpart to be half as big to justify keeping the reqs the same. /shrug

Route 507 (508?)/(West Amaya Route #2)
    -5 Wilds, 2 Trainers
    -Wild level range: 38-43
    Just a little stronger, since not only will there be the reqs to go through, there'll be some type of quest involving Zoa Temple still, won't there? The combined requirements of these two areas (11/5) are almost the same as what ZFW currently has (10/5), and we ought to be able to keep it from getting boring now that they're spread over two locations.

One other thing, though: the east path couldn't use Route 507 in this spot. That route goes from Wattalia to Toba, which means that a route going from Toba to the southwest edge of Zen Forest would have to be a different one. At least it gives us a reason to make another numerical route? :mellow:

17. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I like those requirements as well.

18. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Toba Village/West Amaya 7th badge.

Gyms: 42-46

Crystal Caverns:
    Gonna leave the sidequests alone for now.
    8 wilds, 4 trainers.
    Lvls 39-45

19. Haas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    DISCUSSION KICK

20. Zenith

RePG:
    Profile:
    It's a start, but there're some issues that need to be addressed.

Toba Village/(West Amaya Equivalent)
    -Gym Leader: Bree/Ezio
    -Level Range: 46-48
    Even though the wild level curve is slowing down, the trainer levels won't be. There are two areas between here and the previous gym, and odds are the Zoa Temple sidequest will have a battle or two somewhere even post-revamp (because you can't have a Zelda homage without a boss fight >_>). Odds are, players' teams will all gain more than one or two levels by the time they're through there.

Crystal Caverns
    -8 Wilds, 5 Trainers
    -Wild Level Range: 40-45
    -Two sections?
    Slight increase on the trainers to make the dungeon feel bigger, slight raise on the wild level floor to compensate for what might be a small amount of level grinding for the 7th Leaders (the wild level ceiling was fine). If anyone is worried about this area dragging on, maybe we could split it into two areas with their own themes and wild lists.

Holy crap, we're almost done. o_O All that's left is the final gym city, Siber Pass, and the League, and we're on to route thematics. I've actually been putting together this idea of having the final city be built in and around an old mountain stronghold...