The Amaya Regional Revamp Project

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by Leon Vane, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    Route 501: 4-5 (4-6 on side path), 2 wild, 1 trainer
    Wattalia: 6-8
    Crystal Bay: 6-9, 3 wilds, 1 trainer
    Conch: 9-11
    Route 502: 8-11, 3 wilds, 2 trainers
    Zoa: 11-15
    Forest Path: 10-14, 4 wilds, 2 trainers
    Forredge: 17-19
    ZFE: 15-18, 6 wilds, 2 trainers
    Sky Harbor: 21-24
    Dragon Reef: 18-23 (Flickle at 20)
    Route 503: 19-24, 4 wilds, 3 trainers

It's going to be a thing anyway, and more importantly, half of the site is in Amaya and it has probably the worst pacing problem of our regions.

I see no reason why we can't have both this and the KRRP going at the same time. Spreading ourselves too thin isn't an issue when we can research and such without the pressures of a real-time chat.

Route 501 (since Vernedge is just the rival battle), go.

2. Zenith

Zenith No Ordinary Swordsman

RePG:
    Profile:
    If I may...I wanted to bring up something important. It might be for the best if we handled Amaya a little differently at first.

We can all agree that Amaya as a whole has some serious pacing problems, correct? From the Chromes early on to the wake up call that is Iris' Verdeguar to the giant serpentine wall that is Ryo's team, the region as a whole expects a ton of level grinding early on. Once players make it past Sky Harbor, though, Amaya starts to open up and give them plenty of sidequests and optional zones...

...But by that point, players are already so overleveled that they can coast through the rest of the region, and all those areas that encourage sticking around and level grinding go to waste.

This is relevant, because EPIC is starting to work on the lines native to Amaya. There are quite a few intangibles--base stat total, strength of ability, when in a given levelset a move is learned, when a given Pokémon evolves--that could be affected by how early or late in the region and at what levels a line appears at in the wild. Changes are bound to be made to Amaya's pacing as is, and levels are bound to be shifted around...so how about we make our first order of business be deciding on those overall level ranges?

If we got that out of the way first, the EPIC team would know what they were working with, instead of having it change little by little mid-revamp of the Amayamons--or post-revamp--and throwing things off, leaving more work to be done when updating for Gen VI that could've been avoided.

So, good idea or bad? We take care of the level ranges and overall feel of the region, and then go location to location and fill in the details?

3. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    I personally don't care for world-building (in this literal sense at least), but I think that'd be an okay enough starting point.

4. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon Pummelo Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    I'd like to remind you that we have less than 2 months before the release of Pokemon X and Y. I'd really like to get EPIC1 done before then. Really.

5. Roxas

Roxas Prince of the Stars Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    What exactly does that mean, I'm slightly confused.

6. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    It sounds to me like Zenith wants to finish Amaya before we detail them in EPIC.

7. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    Amaya-mons aren't in EPIC1.

8. Prophet of Wapachu

Prophet of Wapachu Unofficial Pokédex Coordinator

RePG:
    Profile:
    I would too, but the likelihood that we're getting through Amaya before then is very low. I agree that Amaya should be fixed before we commit to EPICing the region; however, we will need people to be on top of this. We can't go a few days waiting for responses or votes or whatever. This needs to get done quickly to avoid wasting a ton of time.

9. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    So before we go into this, perhaps we should initiate the 3-Day Policy we initially had in EPIC. Since in order for us to finalize Amayan EPIC lines we need to wait for the ARRP + XY. So we have until October to get good progress on this.

10. Prophet of Wapachu

Prophet of Wapachu Unofficial Pokédex Coordinator

RePG:
    Profile:
    I am fine with enforcing that policy.

11. Zenith

RePG:
    Profile:
    Okay, I guess I wasn't very clear. >_>

I'm not saying we need to rush through Amaya at super speed to have it ready for early October. I'm not a big proponent of the full-speed-ahead approach, as you've probably seen by now. I'm saying if we can take care of one--and only one--aspect of each area by the time X and Y come out and EPIC starts work on the Amayamons, then we can make EPIC's job a lot easier.

For example, we could decide that we want Route 501 to have an overall range of Levels 3-5. No further details necessary for now, no deciding what the wild lists will be or individual wildmons' level ranges just yet, just a WIP range for EPIC to work off of so we aren't left guessing. For cities, we'd decide on the range we wanted any required battles to use...like, for example, maybe we want Ferris in the 10-12 range.

And it'd be easy to keep notes for. Something like:

Route 501: 3-5
    Wattalia: ?
    Crystal Bay: ?
    Conch Town: 10-12 (Ferris)

And that's all we'd need to decide on at first. We fix Amaya's pacing, arguably its only major problem, and then we start working on the route-to-route details.

12. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    As much as I like to say that challenge makes everything better, the power curve between Iris and Ryo ruins the pacing for the rest of Amaya. I am pretty sure that I am the only person that is anywhere close to halfway through Amaya that has a team that's at or lower the average level of the region. Grinding for Ryo is probably what does this.

13. Chimera

Chimera Minor Junior Private Negative First Class

RePG:
    Profile:
    Definitely agree with Zenith on this one: figure out the general level ranges for the different areas now, so that both the Seel-noise ARP itself and 2EPIC will have something to work off of. It should be fairly simple to do; there might be a bit of quibbling on the numbers, but honestly I don't see it taking too long as long as people actually reply.

(Personally, I'd say the Chromes should max out at 8, Conch/Ferris at 12, the elders at 16, Forredge/Iris at 20, Ryo at 24, fill in the routes between them accordingly, then flip Imperia Fields ahead of Imperia City and work from there: figure a fairly steady pattern of route-city-route-city early on lends itself to a fairly steady level increase. That way it'd just be the strength of the main enemy trainer teams themselves that determine the difficulty.)

14. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    [​IMG]
    SUPERKICK

Zenith suggests a wild range of 3-5. Any objections or will we move on?

15. Zenith

RePG:
    Profile:
    That was more of an example. I actually wanted to suggest something a little more complicated. 3-5 is a start, but we might not need the 3 if none of the Normal types on the basic list have particularly high Attack and/or start with Tackle. I was also thinking that the extended list might be able to get away with a 6 or two, since you can only run into those mons after you've fulfilled the basic requirements, and people's starters/bdaymons/anything they catch on the route might be strong enough where a Level 6 wild wouldn't be a problem.

16. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    We just need a general range for now Zen, nothing fancy like that.

I suggest 3-5 normal route, 4-6 extended route, myself, until we get to the actual ARRP and can start altering things more individually.

17. Chimera

Chimera Minor Junior Private Negative First Class

RePG:
    Profile:
    Neither Tinjay nor Carda is a physical attacker, if Meercune's claw emphasis carries over to its revamped set it'll be getting Scratch rather than Tackle, Dingrowl will be losing STAB on Scratch, and Thylere never had Normal STAB and starts of with the none-too-threatening Poison Sting. The only overpowered thing on 501 is going to be Teddiursa's 60 BP STAB Covet off an 80 Attack stat.

...okay, so there's my recommendation for putting something else in Teddiursa's place on 501. It should probably migrate to the Forest Path regardless of what the 501 level range is. So 4-5 and 4-6 works fine for that.

18. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    I like those ranges.

19. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile: