Paradise Lost: An Alolan Mafia - Game Thread

Discussion in 'Game Corner' started by Doof, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Doof

Doof frogs are good Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    The villagers milled about, a few tossing out half-joking accusations, but no lynching occurred. As the sun set everyone returned to their quarters, hoping that the events of today were a bad dream.

Night 1 has begun. You have 48 hours to send me any night-time actions you can perform.

2. Doof

Doof frogs are good Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    As the sun rose, so to did the Pokemon of the village, and as they gathered uneasily in town square it became apparent that the murder of their friend and the strange smoke were not, unfortunately, the result of a bizarre nightmare. They arrived one by one, some late and some early, and after a few hours it seemed like all of them but one had arisen.
    "... Fifteen, sixteen, where's Mex?" Roxas looked up from his headcount, and soon everyone else followed as they collectively realized that one of their own was missing. A search was called, but after not too long it seemed like they had their answer as TheMusicMan screamed and fainted. The villagers rushed to him, and there they found the body of their friend Fresh Mex, savagely beaten to death. As they began to morn their loss, the smoke began to dissipate and her identity was now revealed as...
    Something had to be done. This was clearly not a one-off incident as some had hoped.

Day Two has begun. You have 48 hours to reach a consensus on who (if anyone) you'll lynch. Good luck!

3. SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel "Best Admin" - Gamma, July 5th 2017 Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Well damn, that would have been a pretty helpful role for us... Unrelated but I really like it from a design perspective too, kinda like a pseudo investigator that has a bit more skill involved. Sucks that Mex is already out though.

Worth nothing that TMM is the only player explicitly mentioned in the post but nothing seems to directly suggest he is the killer, and I don't think the clues would be as ham fisted as that. Perhaps the smoke means something?

I find it interesting that the mafia would kill Mex on Day 1. Usually the early targets are veteran players and people known to be very skilled at the game when placed in important roles. I would have expected someone like SR or Jan to be dead this morning.

4. Shanderraa

Shanderraa They/Them Global Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Neat, so it's like a reverse lookout. Surprised I'm not dead nor any of the people SS mentioned. Maybe the mafia can target based on role, not player? Mex was definitely a high-priority target if that's the case.

5. Taav

Taav ಠ_ಠ

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Coppor/Bronzor
    I think the smoke is just in reference to the "cloud of stardust-like smoke" that is enshrouding each of our identities. TMM's presence in that scene also appears to be innocuous to me.

Thought we'd get at least something about the role involved, but guess not. If anything, "savagely beaten to death" could imply some kind of fighting type, like a Stufful or Bewear, but the logic's very loose and even if that's true it doesn't really suggest any leads. As I suspected, it seems we will have to rely on our instincts like a traditional game.

Might be worth looking into things that Mex said. They were against lynching on day 1 (though most people were), and were particularly suspicious of people keeping quiet. Could be that the mafia are trying to keep quiet and are taking out anyone who would more likely suspect them. Also could be someone trying to frame our less talkative friends. I think it's unlikely that they would act this way for no reason though, because as SS said generally the more experienced players tend to go first - so perhaps this points to a group of non-veteran mafia?

I'm not jumping conclusions either way, but perhaps it would be worthwhile to pressure both players who are unusually inactive, as well as anyone who is generally new to OI mafia. Whatever the case, we need to make a lynch today.

6. Taav

Taav ಠ_ಠ

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Coppor/Bronzor
    Wouldn't targeting by role be just a little too overpowered for the mafia? Then they'd feasibly be able to take out all the special town roles early on. It'd make more sense if they picked Mex for some reason and then got lucky.

7. SilentSentinel

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    In agreement with Taav here, that would be too strong. Why Mex at all is the question I'm asking.

8. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon Pummelo Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Savagely beaten to death is probably outrage or thrash or close combat.

9. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    I'm not incredibly skilled. Just famous.

10. Amerac

Amerac Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    When I get home I am going to look back and see who all argued with mex. Granted there is the possibility the mafia could be using that to lynch a townie but it may she'd some light

11. ManBearTepig

ManBearTepig King of The North

RePG:
    Profile:
    From what I saw nobody argued with Mex, I remember Mex targeting AKP due to AKP mentioning he wanted to lynch someone on the first day but it's still nothing to go off

12. Nonsensepanda

Nonsensepanda The best Panda Global Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    I mean Mex was kinda stirring the pot. its quite possible someone from either side wanted him dead for thinking he was the other. also, CA-CAW

13. Amerac

Amerac Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Panda why are you sounding like a crow

14. Stygglytuff

Stygglytuff I'll put something good here later Global Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Pattle
    He's being a feather head again.
    What clues can we scrape from this though? I'd agree with AKP and Taav about the killer probably being a physical mon, but I honestly can't think of anything else other than the smoke

15. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Isn't Murkrow or Honchkrow a bad Pokemon?

16. SilentSentinel

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Yeah Murkrow would be a bad pokemon but with Mex being Shiinotic I'd lean toward everyone being alolan pokemon. Panda is probably just being Panda. Maybe Toucannon or something.

17. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Murkrow is in Alola

18. SilentSentinel

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    That's true... I guess I meant that I have a feeling that we're all gen 7 pokemon. Not going to roleclaim here but I am a gen 7 pokemon, Mex was a gen 7 pokemon, and cosmog was a gen 7 pokemon. That's only 3 data points though.

19. Master of Grass

Master of Grass The Angel of Music

RePG:
    Profile:
    Yeah, the smoke and TMM both seem unrelated to the murder. I'll admit I was hoping the clues we'd get would be a little bit more significant than this, but I agree that we must be looking for a physical Pokemon. As for Panda, I don't know that we have a large enough sample to rule out Murkrow/Honchkrow as Panda's mon. Plus, how many other birds actually ca-caw? And it seems like a pretty risky Pokemon to immitate just for fun, especially since Honchkrow's design is literally based off of a crime boss.

20. Nonsensepanda

Nonsensepanda The best Panda Global Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    I can say with 100% confidence i am an alolan pokemon.

also Č̷̘̮́̇̈́̓̕ä̷̡̮̤̺̞͍͔̺͍́̀̏̆͗̊̆̈̚͘-̶̢̤͕̟̮̺̺͎͋̓̈́͆̿̿̃̈́̾̂̕ͅC̶̲̜͈̀͐̄͒̓̍͗͋̈́̋̔̂̀̕͘͠A̶̪͇͔͔̮̩̰̳̺̠͔͕͐͘͜ͅẀ̵̡͕͔͎