Paradise Lost: An Alolan Mafia - Game Thread

Discussion in 'Game Corner' started by Doof, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Master of Grass

Master of Grass The Angel of Music

RePG:
    Profile:
    I am always of the opinion that first day lynching is bad. We have absolutely nothing to go off of so we're just randomly picking a target, and statistically it's just going to hurt us. I'm not sure how to make this day productive if we're not lynching anyone, but the chance is just too high that by trying to be productive on day one, we end up losing a valuable town member. Plus, it's day one. What could we possibly even do that's productive?

2. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon Pummelo Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Um...I Was going to have someone vote to lynch me. But I see that isn't necessary as discussion has been sparked.

3. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Mex, why so quick to blame me?

4. Prophet of Wapachu

Prophet of Wapachu Unofficial Pokédex Coordinator

RePG:
    Profile:
    What if nobody discovers anything revealing during the next night? We still have nothing substantial to go off of. Are we going to keep sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, letting the mafia pick us off because we might kill a townie? That's a phenomenal strategy if you want the mafia to win.

5. Fresh Mex

Fresh Mex Land shark

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I'm quick to blame anyone who suggests that murder without evidence is a good idea. What would ordinary townsfolk stand to gain from murdering indiscriminately where the mafia are 4 or 5 people at most in a society of 17?

6. Prophet of Wapachu

RePG:
    Profile:
    Before I answer that, where are we going to get this evidence you speak of?

7. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    What if you are the one who will be doing the murdering? That would make you quite fast in pointing blame on non-murderers

8. Master of Grass

RePG:
    Profile:
    I think Mex was pretty clear about why he targeted you, AKP. For those of us who are opposed to random lynches based on the grounds that a townie is more likely to die from it, anyone who tries to get a random lynch going without really addressing this point would seem inherently suspicious.

As for where evidence will come from, I don't think the decision to randomly kill a likely innocent person should be made based on hypothetical future events such as the possibility of not having any information on day 2. We should deal with that when and if it gets here. As for today, I don't see how we can argue randomly lynching is a good idea. I'm not opposed to lynching someone day 1, but I am opposed to random lynching someone day 1, and so far the only conversation we've been able to have is whether or not random lynching is helpful or not. If you guys want to have a less supsicious discussion to try to get a not random lynch going, I'm all for that.

9. Fresh Mex

Fresh Mex Land shark

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    For a start, from whomever is quickest to vote for a lynching. This is a matter of one death versus 2. Suppose we do lynch someone tonight. We have about a one in 4 chance of killing a mafioso, which leaves about a 3 in 4 chance of killing a townie. Meanwhile, the mafia will likely kill someone regardless, and tomorrow morning two will be dead, one definitely a townie and the other has a 75% chance to be a townie. Where if we do not lynch someone, we'll only lose one, and either way, we'll have something to go on what with everyone's abilities.

10. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    I'm perfectly okay with Not actually lynching someone today. I would just rather us not roll over and let the days pass.

11. Fresh Mex

Fresh Mex Land shark

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I agree with that, and it's likely that we will have something to go on tomorrow, which will let us take action.

12. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    I have a feeling I will be dead come morning

13. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Also, TMM is conspicuously quiet.

14. Prophet of Wapachu

RePG:
    Profile:
    This does not answer my question at all, and doesn't even comprehend the point of it. I want to understand what people are going to be interpreting as evidence. Either it's entirely role-based (which makes the town winning very reliant on luck), or its something we can start searching for today.

How do you propose we do this?

15. SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel "Best Admin" - Gamma, July 5th 2017 Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    If we have nothing more to go off of tomorrow, we'll be back in the same spot we're in now, with one less townie.

But again, pretty used to OI games going like this. It just requires us to play better later on in order to find the mafiosos and win.

16. Amerac

Amerac Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    So who seems most suspicious so far I see no leads with how things are now and hard to get an idea with the way conversation is going. I was hoping to see someone blindly follow and agree and stuff but it is not easy.

17. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Too many people with too much experience

18. Fresh Mex

Fresh Mex Land shark

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I'm reminded of the mafia game from 2015 wherein it was decided to lynch someone on very little evidence at all and the investigator was lynched in vain. Yes, the information will be role-based and anchored in luck, but as of right now, most of us are staying pretty quiet... we don't have much to go on conversation-wise.

19. Master of Grass

RePG:
    Profile:
    Role-based info like investigation results or the semi-clues from the likely mafia kill tonight, plus the extra 48 hours of discussion to potentially figure something out that could actually benefit the town. If your point is that we can't do any of that today, I'm open to alternatives. I don't think not having this stuff right now justifies a 75% chance of an extra townie death. We still have time to discuss and there's still a chance someone could slip up.

20. SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel "Best Admin" - Gamma, July 5th 2017 Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    I don't think anyone is going to slip up today, especially given that there's several people who have been silent so far.