Magic: the Gathering

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nozomi Kurozawa, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Nozomi Kurozawa

Nozomi Kurozawa Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    I noticed that there's a thread for discussing the Yu-Gi-Oh card game and that got me to thinking. Does anyone around here play Magic? I'm always looking for new people to talk decks and such with.

2. Winterbane

Winterbane Warden of the North

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    Resident MTG competitive player presiding. Currently running U/G Infect in Standard until I see what else comes up for R/B Vampires or Morbid. Not a fan of Kessig (feels too gimmicky when I play it, not enjoyable) or RDW, but were it less costly to get the cards, I'd likely consider building a Solar Flare variant.

Outside of standard, I have... 27 decks currently built, some of which are modern legal. Outside of Standard I usually play multiplayer, which is how those decks are geared for the most part, aside from my B/G Reanimator deck.

3. Amerac

Amerac Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    I also play but been out of it due to money so not sire on new formats

4. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    My buddies and I have lately been playing a lot of Modern - and although that format isn't exactly designed for multiplayer, it has actually allowed for some really wacky decks to show up without getting nullified by obscenely overpowered cards that haven't been reprinted, such as Force of Will and the ever-so-useful Dark Ritual (which I'm really hoping to see a reprint of somewhere in this block). The deck I'm currently running for Modern multiplayer is kind of gimmicky, but man, when it goes off, it's blasphemous.

2x Silver Myr
    2x Iron Myr
    2x Cryptoplasm
    4x Spitemare
    4x Phyrexian Metamorph
    4x Stuffy Doll
    2x Proteus Staff
    4x Galvanic Blast
    4x Mana Leak
    4x Howling Mine
    4x Pyroclasm
    4x Blasphemous Act
    4x Glimmervoid
    8x Island
    8x Mountain

If you guess what it does on your own, kudos to you.

Play nice with Howling Mines. Mana Leak when someone tries to deal with those seeing something nasty coming up. If need be, Phyrexian Metamorph out a Howling Mine for the extra kick. Basically, sit there until you have enough mana to drop Spitemares and Stuffy Dolls. By then, you should have at least 3 artifacts, which is good. You'll need them. At this point, your goal is to make sure that you can drop at least 20 damage in one turn, or more. That's where Galvanic Blast, Pyroclasm, and of course, the ultimate doomsday card, Blasphemous Act, come in. Two Stuffy Doll/Spitemare is enough to make Blasphemous Act fatal to any one player. But you don't settle for that, if you want to win. You need to kill everyone at once. Otherwise, your whole strategy is visible and you get annihilated by everyone else at the table.

Cards I've considered running are Rite of Replication (as that is just hilarious with Stuffy Doll), Mox Opal, and potentially removing the double Proteus Staff for a couple more counter spells.

5. Nozomi Kurozawa

Nozomi Kurozawa Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    I tend to play a lot of artifact decks. My friends and I are big fans of "anything goes" and "house rules." I've never competed at a tournament before and I'm not sure I could actually handle making a Standard deck. I like the way things from so many different sets mix together so well.

6. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    We play a lot of that, but we try to mix it up - after all, nobody likes playing against the same thing over and over again, and if one player has an abundance of money (which surprisingly isn't me in my group), that player tends to have the wackiest, most ridiculous decks. Example? One guy in our group has a playset of Chrome Mox and two full playsets of Damnation.

While Artifact decks are fun, they have a few extremely heavy drawbacks in that if anyone is playing green or red, the means to wreck them is just about always at their fingertips. The other downside to artifacts is that as soon as you play any one of a number of extremely overpowered cards (mostly from Mirrodin block) in multiplayer, you are immediately the biggest, most dangerous target at the table.

It's for that reason that I have only one artifact deck, and while I play with house rules, it isn't breaking bans or restricted lists; ie. only one Tinker. The thing with my artifact deck is that it shuts down non-artifacts, and that's all it's meant to do - it's basically a "I shut down the board" deck, or rather was until I took out the Ethersworn Canonists.

7. Nozomi Kurozawa

Nozomi Kurozawa Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    We all have such huge collections that we can practically pull out a new deck every time we get together to play. Then, of course, you will more than likely never see that deck again. My entire group plays with some of the most ridiculous stuff imaginable. A friend and I actually built a pair of decks for two headed giant matches that utilize the old horsemanship mechanic.

As for my main artifact deck, it's rarely the most dangerous thing on the field. I could have an Oblivion Stone and a Door to Nothingness on the field with the mana to pop both and in some games they still wouldn't start gunning for me. It all depends on what you're up against.

8. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    If you want to see wacky and nonsensical, try using a red/blue deck based around warp world, thieve's auction, and hive mind. Hilarity ensues.

9. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer FKA Neji

RePG:
    Profile:
    I used to collect these cards because this little old lady used to give them to us. Had a little more then 100 lost due to moving.

10. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    Thought I'd resurrect this now that I have a new deck idea bouncing around in my head, likely subject to change with more Dark Ascension reveals.

Creatures
    Fume Spitter
    Dusk Urchins
    Pawn of Ulamog
    Murderous Redcap
    Shriekmaw
    Massacre Wurm
    Mikaeus the Unhallowed
    #
    Non-creatures
    Vampiric Tutor
    Dark Ritual
    Demonic Tutor
    Dash Hopes
    Grasp of Darkness
    Dismember
    Cauldron of Souls
    #
    Land
    Cabal Coffers
    Swamp
    #

This, of course is an idea in the works and thus not likely to be hugely successful without, you know, some kind of win condition other than "infinite 0/1 eldrazi tokens that can pop for mana." For that reason I'm debating reconstructing the same deck into a B/R/G variant for the sake of using Sek'Kuar, the crazy Coldsnap Orc that makes 3/1 haste creatures whenever a nontoken you control dies.

If the combo itself isn't apparent...
    - Mikaeus the Unhallowed on the table, Pawn of Ulamog on the table.
    - Cast Murderous Redcap. He deals damage equal to his power to himself, and immediately dies.
    - Pawn of Ulamog makes a 0/1 eldrazi spawn that can sacrifice for 1 colorless mana.
    - Persist or Undying triggers on Murderous Redcap.
    - Murderous Redcap comes back into play either with a +1/+1 counter or a -1/-1 counter and deals damage equal to his power - either 3 or 1 respectively - to himself, dying again.
    - Pawn of Ulamog makes a 0/1 eldrazi spawn that can sacrifice for 1 colorless mana.
    - Persist or Undying triggers; the opposite one to whichever triggered last time.
    - Rinse and repeat for infinite 0/1 eldrazi spawn.

Now, if we replace Pawn of Ulamog with Sek'Kuar...

- Mikaeus the Unhallowed on the table, Sek'Kuar on the table.
    - Cast Murderous Redcap. He deals damage equal to his power to himself, and immediately dies.
    - Sek'Kuar makes a 3/1 gravespawn token with haste.
    - Persist or Undying triggers on Murderous Redcap.
    - Murderous Redcap comes back into play either with a +1/+1 counter or a -1/-1 counter and deals damage equal to his power - either 3 or 1 respectively - to himself, dying again.
    - Sek'Kuar makes a 3/1 gravespawn token with haste.
    - Persist or Undying triggers; the opposite one to whichever triggered last time.
    - Rinse and repeat for infinite 3/1 tokens with haste.

#
    Creatures
    Pawn of Ulamog
    Falkenrath Noble
    Murderous Redcap
    Shriekmaw
    Mikaeus the Unhallowed
    #
    Spells
    Darkness
    Profane Command
    Dash Hopes
    Doom Blade
    Dismember
    Ensnaring Bridge
    Temporal Extortion
    #
    Lands
    Leechridden Swamp
    Swamp

A modified version of this deck, much more refined I think. The

main combo in the deck is still simple, divided in two.

1) Mikaeus the Unhallowed + Murderous Redcap + Falkenrath Noble. These three cards, when played correctly, generate an infinite "you lose one life, I gain one life" combo.

2) Mikaeus the Unhallowed + Murderous Redcap + Pawn of Ulamog + Profane Command. These four cards can generate death for your opponent just as easily, but the four cards involved makes it a lot more difficult.

[hr]

To answer why I've chosen to even bother placing both in the deck, Pawn of Ulamog himself allows for mana generation to go toward other cards, and in a deck with no creatures below three mana. Profane Command is a credible kill spell in itself in a deck with eighteen land, and thus needs to be addressed as such.

This deck is constructed for the Modern format, and that is precisely why there is no Dark Ritual present, although it would be a saving grace for the deck.

When playing this deck, I suspect that keeping a hand without an Ensnaring Bridge in it will be like a lamb to the slaughter. You'll want to drop as many cards as possible in your combo ASAP - no hand means nothing can attack you, until they deal with your Ensnaring Bridge - which is a significant distraction from your infinite combo you're attempting to set up.

The presence of Temporal Extortion is to offset players who know what you're up to. 4 mana to take an extra turn? If they counter it by paying half of their life, you then get to start on much better ground. If they don't, you're one turn further into your setup. It's a win-win in mono-black.

Dash Hopes I feel is a must, but this simply comes from needing a way to deal with blue. If someone counterspells, and you counter their counter by giving them an ultimatum of five life or your spell goes off, mid-to-late this card functions as a straight up counter spell should you be forced to abandon your primary win condition.

11. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
  12. Fig

Fig Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Embli
    I play, but I haven't played since the standard block rotation back in October. Played Mono-green eldrazi ramp. LOVED that deck. Haven't even given thought to what kind of deck to build now, although I was originally thinking about a birthing pod deck.

Come to think of it, I still haven't finished my modern sligh deck. Yay for expensive as hell fetch lands.

13. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    Stupid netdecking. >_> All I have to say. Eldrazi are dumb and now that they're in modern and vintage/legacy only, Channel Eldrazi and Show and Tell Eldrazi are just stupid.

14. Fig

Fig Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Embli
    I netdeck because I lack the skill and creativity necessary to create my own decks. When I was playing standard I always played it to win so I wanted to play the best deck I felt comfortable with and could reasonably afford. 4 Primeval Titans were a hell of a lot cheaper than a full set of Mind Sculptors.

15. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    It's damn near impossible to find those fetch lands and birthing pod even around here; my two current standard decks that I've been toying with are U/B Infect (gave up G for the sake of more proliferate and Phyrexian Crusader) and that Runechanter's Pike deck. However, I'm seriously considering givng R/B Vampires another chance, as the new dual-color vampire lord gives them a lot of extra power.

If not that, U/B Zombies once Scars block is out. Skinrender is the only card from Scars block I currently use to make the deck work, and the deck can function without it. Grimgrin + Undead Alchemist theme-based deck.

16. Fig

Fig Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Embli
    My modern deck could do without the fetch lands for now, as they are really only being used for Grim Lavamancer fuel. I could use Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds as a placeholder. Just don't like the CIPT on those cards.

I picked up my Birthing Pods a long time ago as I'd already decided I wanted a deck around those cards because they seemed cool.

17. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    In modern right now, I'm running two decks; mono-white soldiers and u/g simic which works surprisingly well without the fetch lands.

I say as much because I'm fortunate to have a playset of Breeding Pool and Flooded Grove, and the printing of Hinterland Harbor leaves me with 12 potential dual-lands which is more than enough for what I do with it. It's basically a low-cost lorescale coatl deck, using wistful selkie for draw power and coiling oracle/jhessian infiltrator as low cost creatures. Momir Vig is of course in the deck, but I find I don't use him all that often.

Jhessian Infilitrator with a Favor of the Overbeing? 4/4 Flying Vigilance Unblockable? Yes please.

18. Fig

Fig Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Embli
    So my little group has started a peasant league. It's a pretty interesting format. 60 card deck + 15 card sideboard (optional). Both combined may use no more than 5 uncommons total. Everything else has to be commons. I played our first tourney with an affinity deck my cousin brewed up. It got a lot of hate lol. To be honest, even I hated playing with it because it got ridiculous from time to time.

19. Winterbane

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    Peasant League? Were I playing Peasant I'd be likely playing saprolings, as there's so many easy ways to make them. Then again, I'm too much of a fan of my big shiny rares, hence my interest in EDH moreso than any other casual format.

20. Fig

Fig Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Embli
    I like playing with rares too but this format I've found to be quite fun. I'll probably be playing a goblin deck this week but I think I'd like to make a zombie deck for a more long term use. There is a lot of potential there.