International Battle Frontier (Community Project)

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by Prophet of Wapachu, Jun 9, 2013.

1. SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel "Best Admin" - Gamma, July 5th 2017 Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    So your pokemon can start out ahead? Huh. Would this restrict the moves that they can use?

2. Prophet of Wapachu

Prophet of Wapachu Unofficial Pokédex Coordinator

RePG:
    Profile:
    The only factor that would affect what moves could be used would be distance, and that would be the same for both pokemon during each turn.

3. SilentSentinel

SilentSentinel "Best Admin" - Gamma, July 5th 2017 Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    /bumphar

I really like the proposed changes to the mechanics. Does anyone have anything to add or change about them?

4. Roxas

Roxas Prince of the Stars Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    I like the proposed changes (and given that there's a new Amayan Sidequest which requires a chase battle...it would probably be wise to pass these changes soon).

5. Prophet of Wapachu

RePG:
    Profile:
    Just a not regarding the moveset portion: I'm putting that on hold until I decide whether I'm going to need a good portion of the completed pokemon redone, because as of now I'm unable to access parts of my inbox due to SQL errors.

I'm also going to add that for some chase battles (like ones where we actually want a chase to occur) we can use a set starting distance, but the battles will still function in the previously described manner. If we're fine with the general outline, I'll start making a clearer chase battle guide using this. Once I'm done with that we can discuss some specifics that haven't been settled upon.

6. Doof

Doof frogs are good Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    Besides not using physical attacks, would there be any sort of drawbacks to falling really far back behind the other Pokemon? Like maybe reduced accuracy for your moves if you get too far behind?

7. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon Pummelo Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Is it still the case where over a certain distance, even special moves do half damage?

8. Prophet of Wapachu

RePG:
    Profile:
    A loss of accuracy could be interesting and it would be neat to try that instead of half-damage special attacks. We might have to do some test battles. Also I'm almost finished, just working on the effects of each status for my first draft.

9. KabuKing

KabuKing How humerus

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    ???
    I agree with this. Unless it's something along the line of the chasee knocking over obstacles which can impede the chaser or injure them, it is odd how they can "choose" to jump back to attack and then suddenly jump back forward to the exact distance they were at. There could be a distance penalty for the chasees using physical moves such as loosing some distance after they attack and jump back to where they were.

keep them from gaining distance or attacking, there is little reason why they should still be able to use close-quarters moves while at a distance. Considering that moves like these and moves similar (like Bind or Fire Spin) keep the opponent from escaping, they could do a multitude of things.

Moves like Spider Web could knock off a set amount of distance from the opponent like Sleep or Freeze (as Haas suggested), but be less accurate in Chase Battles. Things like Bind or Fire Spin could just prevent the opponent from gaining distance for a set number of turns along with residual damage.

10. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    /kick of the highest degree

Given things, I think it'd be nice to get Chase Battles finalized so we can get started on the IBF proper.

I...really don't know how to handle Chase Battles so imma leave that to yall.

11. Prophet of Wapachu

RePG:
    Profile:
    Guide to Chase Battles

Chase Battles are a new form of combat introduced in the OITRPG. This guide will give a brief overview of these battles and explain how these battles differ from normal battles mechanically.

Concept
    Chase Battles focus on the concept of both Pokemon actively running, flying, or swimming during combat in an attempt to escape or catch up to the other. This idea originated as a pursuit only battle; however, the introduction of Chase Battles into the IBF required something more complex than the original simple concept. These battles evolved into races of a sort while attempting to preserve the chase aspect when needed.

Set-up

[100] :male: :talonite: 364/364 [Defiant] [Base Speed: 130] [LEADER]

[100] :female: :speetah: 344/344 [Speed Boost] [Base Speed: 120]

Distance: 100m [+10m/turn]

This set-up may resemble the normal battle set-up with three exceptions: the [LEADER] next to Talonite, the Base Speeds, and the Distance. [LEADER] signifies that this Pokemon is in front of the other, and the faster Pokemon will always start off in front. This has an effect on a few factors, but those will be explained in the Turn Section. Base Speeds are primarily shown for convenience to ease the calculations moderators may need to make regarding them.

Distance is a very important part of Chase Battles because it determines where each pokemon is in regards to the other, the moves that can be used, and the power of these moves. These will be elaborated upon later. The initial distance can be calculated by using the formula [|Base Speed Pokemon 1 - Base Speed Pokemon 2| * 10m]. The distance increase per turn is simply the difference between the base speeds of the two pokemon. These formulas makes faster Pokemon far more effective in Chase Battles, because it often gives them more control in the battle by putting them in the Leader position.

In some instances the initial distance may be predetermined (generally with the foe being the leader), so the initial calculation will not be required.

Turn

Each turn, the Pokemon in the leader position moves first, and they may make one of three moves.

The first option is to Alter the Distance in one of two ways, speeding up or slowing down. While in the leader position, speeding up will cause the distance increase formula to become [|Base Speed Pokemon 1 - Base Speed Pokemon 2|m * 2] while slowing down will cause this formula to become [|Base Speed Pokemon 1 - Base Speed Pokemon 2|m * -1]. These actions only persist for a single turn. In the chasing position, these formulas are reversed.

The second option is to use an attack. In Chase Battles the effectiveness of certain attacks is affected by distance. All moves that make contact (including special ones) can only be used at a distance of 20m or less. Physical moves that do not make contact can only be used at a distance of 60m or less. Status inducing moves may only be used at a distance of 100m or less. Special moves that do not make contact can only be used at full power at 250m or less; at greater distances, they will only do half damage. The leader may use any attack, despite the initial distance; however, this reduces the distance to the maximum possible distance where the attack may be used.

The third option is to use an item, and this functions normally.

Stat Changes
    Stat boosts function normally outside of changes to Speed. (I need ideas for this)

Status Conditions
    I also need ideas for these.

Other Move Effects
    I also need some ideas here.

Stuff I might Have Forgotten

12. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    No idea what to do for Burn Status however, as far as the other ones go:

Paralysis: Paralysis already drops speed so the distance itself is already going to start dropping, so no need to keep the -50 Distance per turn as with the old system. However, I think that if the pokemon who is paralyzed freezes up due to paralysis, the distance should drop or go up (depending on who gets paralyzed).

Freezing and Sleep...should increase the distance / lower the distance respectively a set amount for the while they are status'd. They are either Frozen or asleep...so they can't actually move.

13. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    Maybe speed boosts could affect the distance rate?

14. Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong Is okay. Obby is often used as punishment.

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    I don't know that burn, poison and the other statuses necessarily need to do anything outside of their normal battle functions (Ventus's suggestions work as far as those are concerned), although you could have poison cause a steady end-of-turn increase/decrease in distance due to illness making the pokémon tired, idk.

15. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    [/kick]

Thoughts on Chase Battle Reform

16. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    SUPER MEGA EVOLVED CHARIZARD X USES MEGA KICK TO ALL OF YOUR FACES

17. Timeblaze

Timeblaze I'm supposed to hold it by the sharp end, right?

RePG:
    Profile:
    I've come up with ideas for two more facilities, and while I know that they aren't a priority, I might as well throw them out there.

Kalos Facility: Battle Manor
    A facility in which all battles are Inverse Battles. Super-effective attacks are not very effective, not very effective and non-damaging attacks are super-effective. Rules are the same as other facilities.

Orre Facility: Battle Reserve
    The Orre games are all about snagging Shadow Pokemon, so you'll be doing pretty much that - they won't be Shadow Pokemon, but you will be snagging them. In this facility, the goal is to snag a pre-determined Pokemon on the opponent's team in a Double Battle. You can use any Pokemon you want, but the opponent's goal is to prevent you from snagging their Pokemon, in any way they possibly can. You will have 10 Snag Balls (essentially Safari Balls) to do this with. The battle is won when you capture the determined Pokemon, but you lose if the Pokemon is KO'd, or the opponent KO's all of your Pokemon.

As for the Chase Battle reforms, for Burn, it should make the opponent be unable to increase distance as quickly. They can Speed Up like usual, but the pain from the burns should mean that attempts to Speed Up will be half as effective.

So what do you think?

18. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    So I actually was wondering about the new chase battle stuff. (Not to ignore TB's new Battle Facilities, but I think Chase Battle is a higher priority).

Should we have the Pokémon's ACTUAL speed instead of the Base Speed? It would apply more in adventure because if you have a Pokémon that is faster because it is a higher level but then for some reason it is slower in chase battles it doesn't really make sense. We then could have the speed stat change just work normally.

For example...
    Chase Battles focus on the concept of both Pokémon actively running, flying, or swimming during combat in an attempt to escape or catch up to the other. This idea originated as a pursuit only battle; however, the introduction of Chase Battles into the IBF required something more complex than the original simple concept. These battles evolved into races of a sort while attempting to preserve the chase aspect when needed.

Set-up

[100] :male: :talonite: 364/364 [Defiant] [Speed: 359] [LEADER]

[100] :female: :speetah: 344/344 [Speed Boost] [Base Speed: 339]

Distance: 100m [+20m/turn]

This set-up may resemble the normal battle set-up with three exceptions: the [LEADER] next to Talonite, the Speed Stat, and the Distance. [LEADER] signifies that this Pokémon is in front of the other, and the faster Pokémon will always start off in front. This has an effect on a few factors, but those will be explained in the Turn Section. Speed stats are primarily shown for convenience to ease the calculations moderators may need to make regarding them.

Distance is a very important part of Chase Battles because it determines where each Pokémon is in regards to the other, the moves that can be used, and the power of these moves. These will be elaborated upon later. The initial distance can be calculated by using the formula [|Base Speed Pokémon 1 - Base Speed Pokémon 2| * 5m]. The distance increase per turn is simply the difference between the base speeds of the two Pokémon. These formulas makes faster Pokémon far more effective in Chase Battles, because it often gives them more control in the battle by putting them in the Leader position.

In some instances the initial distance may be predetermined (generally with the foe being the leader), so the initial calculation will not be required.

Then the commands "Speed Up" and "Slow Down" would give +-1 to the speed stat and the speed would be calculated as such. I can understand why this might not be the best thing but thought I would throw it out there. As for the other stuffz.

Status Conditions
    Sleep/Frozen: Drops Distance set amount for each turn in status.
    Confusion/Attraction: 50% chance of losing a set amount we can discuss about.
    Poison/Burn: I think these should just keep their normal effects.
    Paralysis: Affects Speed Stat and on turns where paralysis happens the Pokémon loses a set amount.
    Flinch: Pokémon loses a small amount of distance.
    Partially Trapped: (i.e. Wrap, ect) Distance between the two becomes 0 with Wrap, Bind, and Clamp. All others stop the affected Pokémon from moving.
    Telekinesis: If Pokémon isn't a Levitating/Flying Pokémon, then it slows down by half of what it usually goes.
    Rooting: (Ingrain) Pokémon using Ingrain can't move forward.
    Substitute: Pokémon using Substitute can't move.
    Magnetic Levitation: Same as Telekinesis

Other Move Effects
    Entry Hazards: These work differently. Moves like Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rocks, and Sticky Web can only be used by the leading Pokémon and will affect the tailing Pokémon the next turn. Because of this, Spikes and Toxic Spikes can only reach Layer 1.
    Whirlwind/Roar/Circle Throw/Dragon Tail: I feel like these moves should just make the distance between the Pokémon increase.
    Teleport: Able to change distances to any number between 0 and X
    Bide: Pokémon becomes stationary.
    Moves that take Charging: (i.e. Razor Wind, Sky Attack): Pokémon becomes Stationary for charging turn.
    Splash: Increases/Decreasing (random) distance by 20m.
    Focus Punch: Pokémon becomes Stationary.
    Counter/Mirror Coat: Pokémon becomes Stationary.
    Future Sight/Doom Desire: I feel like these should have a chance to miss or hit the user due to it being harder to predict where the opponent will be.
    Dig/Dive/Fly, ect: Pokémon's distances becomes 0 after move is used. (Really think Dig/Dive should be like this, Fly might be okay to be out of this group).
    Roost: Pokémon becomes Stationary
    Gravity: Don't know but feel like this should do something.

And I don't know all of the OI moves or where a list is so don't have anything for those.

Thoughts?

19. Timeblaze

Timeblaze I'm supposed to hold it by the sharp end, right?

RePG:
    Profile:
    I think all of those look good, Haas, but I'm not sure about Substitute causing the Pokemon to become stationary. In the anime, it's portrayed as the Pokemon creating a doll or afterimage to escape from an attack, and the Pokemon isn't replaced by the substitute. As such, I think the effect for Substitute should be changed to this;

Substitute: Pokemon sacrifices HP to take the next hit. If chasing, the Substitute disappears at the end of the turn. If running, the Substitute disappears at the end of the next turn.

My reasoning being that the Substitute is stationary, while the Pokemon that left it isn't, and the Substitute is left behind.

But other than Substitute, everything else works for me.

20. KabuKing

KabuKing How humerus

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    ???
    Teleport: Able to change distances to any number between 0 and X

Magnetic Levitation: Same as Telekinesis

Gravity: Don't know but feel like this should do something.

I agree with TB on the Substitute thing, and I like everything else except a few.

When you say Teleport between any # from 0 - X, do you mean randomly? If so then the max should probably be something not too far lest the move becomes overpowered. How's this?:

Teleport: Pokemon teleports a set distance between 0 and X, where X is equal to half of their maximum speed, rounded up. (Randomized)

For Magnetic Levitation, it's really more of a self-imposed thing that a Pokemon uses to avoid attacks as opposed to one used against them. Not really sure whether they should suffer a speed drop at all...until I imagine Manectric floating around like a derp. Carry on.

And for Gravity, I recommend that it either acts as a pseudo-weather like the Rooms, or it can be a one-turn move with a fair amount of power.

- Halves the distance Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate gain for 5 turns.
    * OR it lasts only one turn and makes them stationary for that turn.
    - Screws with distance attacks, causing them to be more accurate but shorter range (those attacks with already-short range still get the accuracy boost).
    * OR it lasts one turn to make all distance moves fail for that turn, like a Protecting or Mat Block -style move.