Help us help OI.

Discussion in 'The Soapbox' started by Roxas, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Roxas

Roxas Prince of the Stars Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    Because coming from an Administration viewpoint, it appears as if that's what the community wants to happen. Around this time last year there was a strong movement of people wanting to Revitalize Orange Islands. I don't know what happened to that idea. It was a strong idea and I genuinely thought it was the beginning of something good for OI. The past year since that movement subsided seemed to result in well...nothing.

It became apparent to me the other day when we closed EPIC chats, that discussion in the Grail itself had kind of died. It just seemed that things were being discussed because they stemmed from discussions that came up in EPIC.

So my question, and I'm being completely honest here:

Do you guys want Orange Islands to continue?

The message the community is giving me is that no you don't want it to be a thing anymore. Force of will by the admins and Grail members are not going to keep OI alive and honestly we're getting exhausted. TX and a few other grail members are trying to make Dex Pages become a thing again. This is going to take a lot of work on our part, and honestly I don't want to waste mine or anyone else's time if we don't have to.

If we want OI to survive we need a commitment by the active members to help us make this place a better place. And to help us bring in new members.

2. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    Well...the short answer is no. The long answer? "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

But seriously, I myself have been advertising wherever possible and have tried to draw in new users.

So, yes. I definitely want Orange Islands to continue.

3. Chardagger

Chardagger Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    I want OI to live, but I honestly don't know what I can do. I've known about OI for a while, but I only really started playing recently. I update my adventure when I can. I've participated in every event since I've been here. In my free time I've been programming an executable version of specifically orange islands.

The Community Center seems mostly dead, most of those topics have not been posted in for months. I try and check in every day, I usually check in multiple times a day, but most of the time I just don't know where to post.

The only thing I'm aware that I'm not doing is the Blogs or the Chat. As for advertising for new members, I'm out of luck there. The amount of friends I have who play pokemon is like 0.01%. And Socially I'm only on the internet here, facebook, and my tumblr of no followers.

I've thought about asking to help with dex stuff or even a temp mod so I can keep peoples adventures updated, but besides the fact I'm too new to trust myself with that stuff so why should you guys risk me, I'm already a busy guy and don't want to make any obligations.

So as much as I like this place, what can I do?

4. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    I don't think anyone wants OI to die, but well, there's only so much that a lot of people feel they can do.
    I myself have been fighting with insomnia and nightmares, and now a thumb injury (which should hopefully be healed in a few days.

No one knows what they can do, and its honestly kind of hard to know what. Discussion on... really anything doesn't happen anymore and it feels like no-one is ever around.

5. KabuKing

KabuKing How humerus

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    ???
    I want to help in so many ways right now. But like everyone else has said, there is little to talk about in the community center and nothing really active except for the adventure topics. And in those I notice a lot of people losing motivation or encountering events in life that keep them from writing out and actually role playing their adventures, pretty much like I had a while ago. I now want and feel the motivation to start up my adventure but am waiting for the time and place to do so.

For advertising I have a few ideas. Though I'm an introvert in real life and have very little regular interaction with other people on the internet except for OI, I can try to become more active and go to other forums where role players and Pokémon fans go. But this also relies on people being able to update more. And if I had more time to become a mod I would. The main times I'm on here are when there is a lull on my 2-day weekend between third shift working days or when I'm jumping in and out to see if anything else had happened.

When college starts I can try to put up posters (or actually make real life friends) and get the word out to people who would be interested in Pokémon or TRPG's, but that may or may not help. I just don't know what to do right now other than jumping at small things, like making random missions in the Create a Mission topic or play testing in the VR thing, at the moment.

I would be heartbroken of OI died, and want to do something to help. But for my life right now my hands are somewhat tied. Just give me something to do and I'll do it.

EDIT: And I have an idea on a non-TRPG Pokemon activity, but I'm not sure it would translate well to the internet as well. I could make a topic about it though. Will probably discuss it in the chat first.

6. Metal Bret

Metal Bret 6th Grader

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Fercoa
    I'd advertise if I could be sure the modforce was ready, but I guess theres some fallout from college exams/all the site issues/etc. And the advertising would be close to instantaneous as well, with some rational people.

I can't update because my roomie is a FUCKING ASSHOLE and I am getting closer to the breaking point every day hes here. In a year he'll be gone to Victoria, and by then I'll hopefully have a part-time job and consistent enough time to put in 30+ a week.

7. Shanderraa

Shanderraa Preteen Meme Master Global Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Hey TJ, we need you now. But really, I've been updating as much as I can and I honestly don't want OI governing my life right now. Two regions a day was hard on my stress level, so I went down to one. However, if It gets that bad I can go back to two. I'll be ready.

8. Professor Ivy

Professor Ivy Newbie

RePG:
    As a new member of, perhaps a few hours ago.. (the name would suggest otherwise, if you catch my drift!) I would really like Orange Islands to survive. Of course, I cannot guarantee I really could do anything to help it survive, other than just.. be on here, post, talk and try to learn the RPG system. At least though, you know, that some people come and are interested still in this lovely little place, and that there are some members who I have already met, who come on at least some times to say hello. Or so it seems.

9. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    Part of the problems it seems the Grail Members are running into (and by Grail I mean Globals, Admins and people who just have access to it) is that we try to get the community involved in projects and then it seems that the projects screech to a halt. It's fine if people don't want to participate in projects, it's not like we can't do them by ourselves, it's just that we'd like the assistance. And I know some people would like to help. However when we do open up projects for outside input it seems as if the input still ends up only coming in from the higher ups.

It's not a matter of you guys not knowing what to do, it's a matter of we don't know what to give you guys because whenever we do it seems that most people don't want to contribute.

A lot of work goes into OI from the Global+ side and for the most part, it's a thankless job. So when we see that the other members are kind of apathetic and not necessarily interested in helping out in things they say they want to help out in, it makes us not want to do our work either. If other people don't seem to care about what we do, why should we?

10. Professor Ivy

Professor Ivy Newbie

RePG:
    I will do that job, and I will not ask for anything, not a "thank you" in return-- I simply want to be a part of this website and its community. That is why I have given what I have in suggestions and information within the chat to you, Leon and Chimera. So you have at least me, a regular community member who can regularly contribute, on your side!

If there's anything I can do immediately, let me know. I will let you know what you can do, and help you in the ways I have been trying to.

That, and if I were here long enough to thank you I would have.. but I'll do it anyway. Thank you, and your fellow "Grail" folks. For your dedication through down-turns and lack of member empathy or support. I have seen how you listened to me, and asked me to continue contributing to the discussions, even though I was literally a day old. In my opinion, you have been listening.. at least, when there is something to listen to. I will give you as much feedback as I can possibly give.

11. Stygglytuff

Stygglytuff I'll put something good here later Global Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Pattle
    ^Same as that^

I was a lurker on the site while it was thriving and it was beautiful.
    Now I've joined and it's not the place it was a few years ago.

There is next to no activity on Pokemon Topaz, I don't want to see OI turn into that.

IF there is absolutely anything, I'll be here too.

12. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer FKA Neji

RePG:
    Profile:
    I don't think anyone wants this place to die. I think the create a mission topic is a step in the right direction and should be advertised a bit more it's a way for members to really be apart the community because the ideas they come up with are being used.

Also maybe another event I don't know when we had the last one, but that's a way to keep people busy and excited.

I think having the TT was also a great way to people in the loop and involved with that people knew what was going on I can help with that part if one or two more people want to join. I honestly think the first three sub forums at the top should always have active post because it's the first thing people see when they come on the forum and if they haven't been posted in in months it looks kinda dead which in turn translates the rest of the forum.

I will advertise but I'll probably end up bringing a lot of gen chat members also I thought we had a twitter account i could get the word out with that aswell.

13. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick I'm Mr. Meeseeks, look at me!

RePG:
    Profile:
    I was thinking about new event and then Neji had already said it (6 days ago but mind you).

So, yes. New event.

14. Rachel Covaks

Rachel Covaks Dragon Queen of the Viridian Forest

RePG:
    Profile:
    I want it to live! I don't really have anything else to say.

15. KabuKing

KabuKing How humerus

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    ???
    If there is lack of things to put in the TT, I have a few ideas. Like "mission highlights", where the paper team choses which mission made is the best, or the most popular mission, or their favorite. Something like that.

There could also be something similar with player adventure highlights or event highlights. Something that brings a bit more attention to parts of the site or shows different peoples' experiences with the forum

16. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick I'm Mr. Meeseeks, look at me!

RePG:
    Profile:
    Two ideas for events I thought of:

- Something related to GiTS. It works dude.

- Come up with a Plasma related event, which seems to be the last plot point you guys started but left off. I would dare to suggest re-involving Team Rocket, or bring Magma/Aqua and/or Flare in as well.

Actually, just combine the above two and give people choice of their teammates, or randomly assign based on level (that way level balance is worked in without having a team of 100s battling alongside a team of 30s), then throw battles and fun challenges.

Knowing people here, this post will be skimmed right over but I would rather this place not die. It's what I do when I get bored/unmotivated to be productive.

17. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    The problem is with Event is they take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long to plan in order to have a quick effect, which is what we are looking for now. Right now we are more interesting in ideas that are smaller and can be done faster like the Chat games we've done or something like a movie night where we all can watch a movie together via live streaming or something like those. Events are nice, yes, but they take way too long to do what we are looking for them to do.

18. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    I would suggest more Deals or No Deal games...those are super-fun!

19. Roxas

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Follower:
    Kajikami
    I'll look into this and bring it up for the TT after this upcoming one. (Just for the sake of trying to get the next one out soon.)

There is/was an event already in the process of being worked on. So stay tuned for more details on that if/when they happen.

As far as other teams being looked at...I couldn't rule the possibility out for future events. Maybe a series of missions or something playing around with the remnants of certain teams. Or smaller events, even? We don't do mini-events anymore and those could be something we could bring back at some point!

They are indeed fun and do incite chatbox activity, however...we can't really have them too often because then the novelty factor is diminished. Also we can't give away (basically) free stuff that often.

20. Zenith

Zenith No Ordinary Swordsman

RePG:
    Profile:
    Going off of that, what about a game night? We could have group multiplayer sessions for stuff on PC, 3DS, etc.