For the Glory of Mankind

Discussion in 'Game Corner' started by Chaos Shadow, Jan 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM.

1. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    [​IMG]

What is NieR: Automata?
    NieR: Automata is the far-distant sequel to the 2010 PS3/XBox 360 game, NIER (also known as NieR: Gestalt or NieR: RepliCant, wacky capitalization inclusive, according to the Japanese releases). It was a wholly unexpected creature born from the creative talent of the folks behind the original NIER, and the game-systems talent of the folks at Platinum Games. If you are at all familiar with the original game it's pretty well acknowledged that Automata had absolutely no reason to exist, but here we are, and the world is better for it.

What is NieR: Automata about?
    Earth has long since been invaded by aliens, who left behind a mechanical army called machine lifeforms (colloquially simply referred to as 'machines'). Humans were almost eradicated in the early invasions by the superior forces of the alien threat, but eventually created their own mechanical combatants in the form of combat androids. Leaving the Earth itself to be fought between proxy armies, the aliens seemed to retreat to somewhere in space while the remaining human population fled to the moon, allowing the Earth to become a battleground in a millennia-long war between the machines and the androids.

In the year 11945, during the 14th Machine War, a combat android from the elite YoRHa squadron -- designation 2B -- is deployed to the surface to find and eradicate a massive Goliath-class machine being built by the machine lifeforms. After the success of her mission, she is sent again to assist an older android force stationed in the ruins of an old city, and from there...

...it gets complicated.

What the hell does that have to do with NIER?
    Damn fine question!

NieR: Automata has a generally loose relation to the original, by design; the game takes place several thousand years in the future and capitalizes on the time difference by being basically removed from the original game. That said, it features quite a few references to the original, both in small and major ways-- nothing that makes playing the original fundamental to the experience, but it does enrich Automata considerably. Still, Automata can stand on its own story-wise.

What the hell is a NIER, then?
    According to our creative lead Yoko Taro, "Nier is a curse".

Nobody has any idea what that means, probably not even Yoko Taro.

And that's totally cool.

What's your approach?
    The expected approach will not be too dissimilar to what I did with the original NIER: updates will generally go back and forth between story updates and sidequest/exploration updates (as available). I will try to do as much as possible regarding the sidequests, but there is one in particular that I can't guarantee will be finished as it requires a lot of enemy type cataloguing and it's largely just tedious (and I say this with a 100% sidequest LP of NIER sitting on my channel).

That said, I will be getting all endings.

I repeat: all. Endings.

All of them.

Where do we start?
    Where we should always start.

From the beginning.

2. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    [​IMG]

Meet 2B. She's got swords and a robot buddy and much better survival instincts than everybody else in her squadron. What squadron, you may ask?

Exactly.

The factory level presented here is the same as the one provided in the November 2016 demo, and there's relatively little of note aside; the only real addition to the game is that we start off with a couple of minutes of Gradius.

Also we reached the end credits.

...wait, what.

NieR: Automata
    broken [W]ings

The YoRHa force was annihilated...
    And Earth went on to become a paradise for machines.

Obtained By: Dying during the opening assault; it triggers whether you die during the shoot-em-up segment or the actual battle in the factory. The quickest way to do so is to set the game to Very Hard and ram your face into a projectile or enemy machine as soon as they appear.
    Interesting note: The giant fuck-off laser that annihilates all of 2B's friends is programmed to deal specific damage equivalent to 1/3rd of 2B's maximum health. This is regardless of her level, defenses, total health, or the fact that she's on the OHKO difficulty setting.