Drawin' Dem Pokemanz

Discussion in 'The Studio' started by Chaos Shadow, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    The Gallery seems to be busted at the moment, so here's a place for artwork to happen.

Have a Kyte.

[​IMG]

2. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    Its adorable!

3. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    And, heck, so long as I'm here: a Glyder!

[​IMG]

4. Master Form

Master Form The best Drive Form in KH2

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Twiggy
    CAN I FLY IT?!?!

5. PokéNuva

PokéNuva Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    You can Glyd it.

6. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Nothing new, but I've never been fully satisfied with the Koaleaf I did... a billion years ago. Time to fix that (and that only took... four years? Possibly five. Yikes.)

[​IMG]

7. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    Its beautiful!

8. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Well!

I, uh, damaged my MacBook a while ago and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. Fortunately we happened to have another laptop -- Windows based -- sitting around the house; unfortunately, my copy of Photoshop was purchased for a Mac system, and it turns out Adobe's got this really cool thing where you basically buy a subscription to their programs instead of just buying the program, and to be honest I don't really want to pay $300+ a year to be able to doodle on a computer.

So I'm playing around with GIMP. It's free, might as well give it a whirl, right.

So BEHOLD my GLORIOUS MASTERPIECE!

[​IMG]

(It's a fish.)

Okay for real here's Borin/Boringler.

[​IMG]

9. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    FEESH

I almost believed the first drawing was all there was. XD You maaaaay have forgotten Sir Borin, though.

:sirborin:

10. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    I already did Sonnest, but I'm trying to get in the swing of artwork and it was the first post on the 'Dex so here's a bird. I like it more than the last bird, so that's something.

[​IMG]

11. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Want something cute? Here's a Lumik.

[​IMG]

12. Pikang

Pikang Resident furry and fursuiter

RePG:
    Profile:
    I want ittttt...even though it's an Ice type and you can't really hug those, I'd hug it X3

13. Junpaku

Junpaku Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    We're allowed to add our own art to this thread right?

14. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Um... not really, no. This is my thread for 'dex work, since we no longer have a Gallery to upload to. I mean I can't stop you, but it's a little gauche to hijack somebody else's thread.

If you want to post your artwork, this entire forum is dedicated to it, and you can make your own thread for your stuff. I'd encourage that.

15. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Full redraw of the Koaleaf line. I labored for ages on getting a different pose for Koaleaf himself, but Koalas are... astounding boring to look at, especially out of their tree. I mean they're cute, but they're just kinda... there.

Tucked under spoilers for ease of viewing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have lost all of the original working files and .pngs I had for the Pokedex (it involves my old Macbook and its inability to survive drops from upwards of three feet in the air), and quite frankly the 'dex has been rearranged and reposted in really hard to follow ways so I don't even know what I've done for it anymore. Might as well just go back to square one.

Pretty relaxing to just make big punchy koalas, gotta say.

16. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Also, some kangaroos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS did Pyroby and Wallaroo, so I originally skipped them over, but, hey, I'm here, might as well.

17. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Oh, look, platypi!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Gonna hijack my own thread to celebrate INKTOBER! Big ol' thing under the spoiler tag.

Every October there's an art challenge called Inktober. The basic idea is that every day you produce one piece of artwork, inked (and, optionally, rendered) and do that until the month's out (or every other day, or once a week, or whatever you can manage). I've never participated in Inktober before, but I actually heard about it before the month was over, so I figured I might as well give it a shot.

So over the past few days, I've drawn some stuff! Look, I'm even uploading it to prove it.

[​IMG]
    Day 1
    Prompt: Fast

The first day prompt was from the official Inktober page, Fast. Plenty of ways to interpret it, but I had to go with something quite near and dear to my heart (for those not aware, I named myself after a cartoon hedgehog). My original version of this was Modern Sonic in a similar pose, but in honor of Sonic Mania, and my childhood, I re-drew it with Classic Sonic in mind instead.

[​IMG]
    Day 2
    Prompt: Skeleton

I wound up acquiring a different prompt list from here on out, after being assured it was 'full of monsters', and because I do monsters since it was more in the spirit (hah hah) of Halloween, I decided to stick with this one. Second-day prompt was Skeleton, which... I mean...

yeah

I've drawn an embarrassing number of Emils over the years and found myself bizarrely paralyzed when it came time to just draw him again, so I wound up doing what I've done in Halloween's past; made him a jack-o-lantern, of sorts. Halloween spirit and all that.

[​IMG]
    Day 3
    Prompt: Wraith

One of the things about Inktober is that you're generally encouraged to use just inks, but a lot of people supplement that ink with special artists markers to add depth of shading. I don't have artists markers, so all of my shading is done in a combination of ink cross-hatching and graphite, which you can see pretty clearly for the Wraith here.

This guy turned out pretty cool, and now that I've said that publicy I'm going to look at it in about three days time and be deeply ashamed of my abilities, and this is why I post things almost as soon as I'm done with them so I don't second-guess myself and wind up never posting.

[​IMG]
    Day 4
    Prompt: Stitched Together

Stitched Together (or, as I incorrectly labeled it, Stitched Up) is for monsters of a more artificial nature, your possessed dolls and such. And what do I think of when I think possessed dolls?

This song.

But second in line is the Tails Doll! An infamous and strange introduction to Sonic R (and only Sonic R), the Tails Doll is a very... odd... racer. Not just in its slightly off appearance, but in how it's presented to the player, appearing on a strange screen after the credits roll with one of the games racing songs playing softly in the background. This is weird shit for a little kid to encounter after a bright and sunny racing game, and it spawned a lot of myths about corrupting games. Also jumping out of games and violently murdering people.

ANOTHER VERSION
    The Tails Doll's strange shadow is not just me bleeding Eldritch horror onto the thing (it's creepy enough as it is). This is actually a reference to the Archie Comics version of the character, which straight-up transforms into an Eldritch abomination in the middle of the comic.

Another Inktober dump to come in a few days.

19. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    Whoops forgot the second update!

[​IMG]
    Day 5
    Prompt: Mummy POLLYWOGS

The original prompt for this day was 'mummy', but, gonna level with ya-- mummies are super boring. Like, as a monster. I did a little check to see if they ever have something really unique done with the design and the answer is more or less 'nope'. Like, real mummies? That's a fascinating idea. But the dessicated dead people are really boring to look at. So I threw the prompt out the window and drew cute things hangin' out in a forest.

I'm okay with that.

[​IMG]
    Day 6
    Prompt: Sea Monster

I had a couple of ideas on this one, but wound up turning to the tried-and-true leviathan. This particular leviathan (and it's tiny babby) are from the game Song of the Deep, which is an gorgeous undersea Metroidvania title by Insomniac. I'd recommend it to anybody who can play it (it's a PS4 exclusive); if nothing else, the graphics and the Celtic-inspired soundtrack are very relaxing, and it's got this super cute leviathan baby named Swish who makes adorable squeaky noises and all of the vendors are hermit crabs that look like Zoidberg.

And that's my dissertation on the storied history of the leviathan.

[​IMG]
    Day 7
    Prompt: Centaur

I'd actually been going back through SGDQ and happened to watch the Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath speedrun the night before this challenge, so Stranger -- who is technically a Steef, which is a deer/lion/gorilla hybrid but close enough to a centaur -- was on my mind. He's got a pretty neat design, plus the native armor... cool guy.

Forgive the janky foreshortening on the front leg. The original arrangement of legs made it look all right but the other legs all wrong. I wound up fixing them, but only after I'd already lined the foreleg. Whoops!

[​IMG]
    Day 8
    Dullahan

Dullahans are Scottish myths of headless, armored men who roam the countryside, carrying their own desiccated head in their arms. They are said to foretell the death of a mortal near where they stop, and shout the name of the doomed one to announce the coming tragedy. (Basically, the Headless Horseman is the most well-known dullahan myth out there.)

This isn't quite that. This guy is actually based on Durahan (the mistranslation of Dulahan), an animate suit of armor from Monster Rancher-- this particular design was the villainous general from the Monster Rancher anime.

[​IMG]
    Day 9
    Prompt: Plant Monster

It's Droseramon, that is, Ambrosia, that is, the plant-bird partner for Nova's psycho girlfriend! Figured I'd do something relevant here eventually...

20. Chaos Shadow

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    And here was the third batch!

Guess what time it is (in this thread where I've clearly stated I'm working for the entire month on a particular project)!

Inktober dump 3!

[​IMG]
    Day 10
    Prompt: Dragon

Inexplicably got reminded of Spyro last week so gotta do a Spyro! (Old-school Spyro, none of this... Skylanders business. We don't talk about Skylanders.)

[​IMG]
    Day 11
    Prompt: Vampire

In spite of my desire to make this one gorgeous, bishounen, and sparkly, I listened to my better instincts (and my childhood) and went with a great classic, Bunnicula! I don't actually remember much about Bunnicula except that it's a vampire rabbit that drains the juice out of vegetables using his vampire rabbit fangs, but that concept's stayed with me my whole life. And hey, they never made some weird new version of Bunnicula like they did with Spy

what the fuck

[​IMG]
    Day 12
    Prompt: Swamp Monster

I'm not a big fan of most 'swamp monsters', they just aren't that interesting (usually it's a fish-man covered in weeds n' stuff, pretty base) so I went ahead and took a very rough basis for most swamp monsters (the fact that the fish-men usually have angler fish-inspired faces, even though angler fish don't live in swamps) and just kind of let it go from there. I wanted big ridiculous teeth and 'anglers' (which here resemble cattails when it's submerged), and it just kinda turned into a big dragon-thing because that's what happens when I'm left without direction I guess.

No, he can't close his mouth. No, I don't care.

[​IMG]
    Day 13
    Prompt: Cyborg

This and Day 14 got messed up in my head for some reason and they're labeled on-page incorrectly, whatever! Day 13 was a cyborg, which doesn't really seem like a monster to me? I mean I guess you can have evil cyborgs but really I think it's more the concept of deteriorating humanity [small]being invaded by technological forces which are themselves the real monster [sub]victimizing mankind and wearing at at his fundamental[/sub][/small]

I drew Cyborg from the Teen Titans cartoon! :D

[​IMG]
    Day 14
    Prompt: Kaiju

Kaiju is actually a very culturally sensitive monster type, as I learned from a huge essay somebody penned about how Pacific Rim kaiju are culturally inappropriate while I was just trying to find a cool one to draw. (I never saw Pacific Rim but I know it's got cool monsters so). This fella's called Knifehead, I guess? I dunno where they got name. He's got a cool face, though!

[​IMG]
    Day 15
    Prompt: Slime

well that was easy

[​IMG]
    Day 15
    Prompt: Slime Hell Tar

Nobody on this site's gonna get this one and I'm okay with that