Chase Mechanics

Discussion in 'RPG News & Discussion' started by Haas, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Guide to Chase Battles
    Chase Battles focus on the concept of both Pokémon actively running, flying, or swimming during combat in an attempt to escape or catch up to the other. This idea originated as a pursuit only battle; however, the introduction of Chase Battles into the IBF required something more complex than the original simple concept. These battles evolved into races of a sort while attempting to preserve the chase aspect when needed.

Set-up

[100] :male: :talonite: 364/364 [Defiant] [Speed: 359] [LEADER]

[100] :female: :speetah: 344/344 [Speed Boost] [Speed: 339]

Distance: 100m [+20m/turn]

Speed Changes
    The formula is (X)(Distance Gained/Turn)
    Chaser is stationary. X= 5
    Leader has +6 Speed. Chaser has -6 Speed. X= 4
    Leader has +5 Speed. Chaser has -5 Speed. X= 3.5
    Leader has +4 Speed. Chaser has -4 Speed. X= 3
    Leader has +3 Speed. Chaser has -3 Speed. X= 2.5
    Leader has +2 Speed. Chaser has -2 Speed. X= 2
    Leader has +1 Speed. Chaser has -1 Speed. X= 1.5
    Leader has +0 Speed. Chaser has -0 Speed. X= 1
    Leader has -1 Speed. Chaser has +1 Speed. X= -0.5
    Leader has -2 Speed. Chaser has +2 Speed. X= -1
    Leader has -3 Speed. Chaser has +3 Speed. X= -1.5
    Leader has -4 Speed. Chaser has +4 Speed. X= -2
    Leader has -5 Speed. Chaser has +5 Speed. X= -2.5
    Leader has -6 Speed. Chaser has +6 Speed. X= -3
    Leader is stationary. X= -4

This set-up may resemble the normal battle set-up with three exceptions: the [LEADER] next to Talonite, the Speed Stat, and the Distance. [LEADER] signifies that this Pokémon is in front of the other, and the faster Pokémon will always start off in front. This has an effect on a few factors, but those will be explained in the Turn Section. Speed stats are primarily shown for convenience to ease the calculations moderators may need to make regarding them.

Distance is a very important part of Chase Battles because it determines where each Pokémon is in regards to the other, the moves that can be used, and the power of these moves. These will be elaborated upon later. The initial distance can be calculated by using the formula [|Speed Pokémon 1 - Speed Pokémon 2| * 5m]. The distance increase per turn is simply the difference between the speeds of the two Pokémon. Distance is always calculated at the beginning of the turns. These formulas makes faster Pokémon far more effective in Chase Battles, because it often gives them more control in the battle by putting them in the Leader position. In order for the Pokemon to use Contact moves, they have to be within 50m of each other. Non-contact moves can be used whenever, but get their power reduced to .75 when further than 150m. The leader may use a contact move whenever they like, but they reduce the distance to 0m by doing this.

In some instances the initial distance may be predetermined (generally with the foe being the leader), so the initial calculation will not be required.

Then the commands "Speed Up" and "Slow Down" would give +-1 to the speed stat and the speed would be calculated as such. I can understand why this might not be the best thing but thought I would throw it out there. As for the other stuffz.

Status Conditions
    Sleep/Frozen: (Leader) Drops Distance by 25m each turn. (Chaser) Increases Distance by 25m.
    Confusion/Attraction: 50% chance of losing a set amount we can discuss about.
    Poison/Burn: I think these should just keep their normal effects.
    Paralysis: Affects Distance like Sleep/Frozen on turns where paralysis happens.
    Flinch: Pokémon loses a small amount of distance.
    Partially Trapped: (i.e. Wrap, ect) Distance between the two becomes 0 with Wrap, Bind, and Clamp. All others lower the speed of the affected Pokemon by one.
    Telekinesis: If Pokémon isn't a Levitating/Flying Pokémon, then it slows down by half of what it usually goes.
    Rooting: (Ingrain) Pokémon using Ingrain can't move forward.
    Substitute: Pokémon sacrifices HP to take the next hit. If chasing, the Substitute disappears at the end of the turn. If running, the Substitute disappears at the end of the next turn.

Other Move Effects
    Entry Hazards: These work differently. Moves like Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rocks, and Sticky Web can only be used by the leading Pokémon and will affect the tailing Pokémon the next turn. Because of this, Spikes and Toxic Spikes can only reach Layer 1.
    Whirlwind/Roar/Circle Throw/Dragon Tail: I feel like these moves should just make the distance between the Pokémon increase.
    Teleport: Able to change distances to any number between 0 and X, where X is the level of the POkemon.
    Bide: Pokémon becomes stationary.
    Moves that take Charging: (i.e. Razor Wind, Sky Attack): Pokémon becomes Stationary for charging turn.
    Splash: Increases/Decreasing (random) distance by 20m.
    Focus Punch: Pokémon becomes Stationary.
    Counter/Mirror Coat: Pokémon becomes Stationary.
    Future Sight/Doom Desire: I feel like these should have a chance to miss or hit the user due to it being harder to predict where the opponent will be.
    Dig/Dive/Fly, ect: Pokémon's distances becomes 0 after move is used. (Really think Dig/Dive should be like this, Fly might be okay to be out of this group).
    Roost: Pokémon becomes Stationary
    Gravity: Halves the distance Flying-types and Pokémon with Levitate gain for 5 turns
    Distance Punch: I feel like this move should follow Special rules, even though it is a physical move.
    Allure: Distance between the two becomes 0
    Lava Mine/Shock Wave: Works like entry hazards but only will work 25% of the time.
    Sky Bomber: (And also High Jump Kick/Jump Kick) If the user misses, then the distance should change, but I don't know to what yet.
    Tractor Beam: (And Block and Spider Web) Keeps the Pokemon in its place for 1-2 turns.