Back From The Brink

Discussion in 'The Soapbox' started by Winterbane, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Winterbane

Winterbane Warden of the North

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Trapinch
    Hello, Orange Islands.

I'm back, for what that is worth. It has been over a year since you've seen me, and much of that time was due to something I'd rather not talk about nor remember. Suffice to say I was living off the grid for a while and not by choice. When I built my new computer, I had no desire to jump back into the drama-filled environment that I'd left. So I was content to play video games and work my butt off - I switched to night crew at work in November of 2013 (just after my last status update here), and since then have lost significant weight and am much healthier. I started having a real social life again, albeit just a few guys getting together once or twice a week to play some tabletop RPGs. I simply didn't have the time, or the desire, to return here.

However, last month, the worst day of my life to date occurred. My dad died on November 12th, just under a month ago. He was 48. I'm 25 years old (as most people here know) and I thought the most of my father. He was quiet and softspoken, but he was always there for me, no matter what. I don't really want to talk about that, but it's a big part of why I've decided to return. Working nights leaves me with very little free time, all of which I spent with my local friends. Now however I can't do that - I have to emotionally support my mother, which leaves me little time to wind down myself. It leaves me with little time to talk to anyone - my brother who is going through this as well, my mother... and my local friends who have schedules that conflict with mine (being nocturnal).

I'm back because there are people here who know me, a community I know and for the most part trust, and its the closest thing to a social life I can really afford to have right now.

On a more positive note:
    I'd planned to update my adventure and see if people talk, but apparently being offline for a year archives these things. Who knew? Could someone un-archive this for me?

2. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    A wild shiny has appeared! Holy shit!
    Welcome back!
    I'm so sorry about the circumstances of you leaving...

And I'm so sorry about your dad.

I know you and I weren't the closest peeps and we had a lot of issues and arguments... but I missed you, I'm glad you're back... I just wish it was under nicer circumstances.

3. Leon Vane

Leon Vane Lift A Sail

RePG:
    Profile:
    Terrible, horrible stuff aside, this part is really awesome and I'm happy about that.

I feel absolutely terrible for you about everything else, though. I know we drifted apart, and that it's mainly my fault. Every time we would talk, I just felt really guilty for not being a better friend and like I didn't deserve to be your friend. In hindsight, that's a fucking stupid reason.

If you need a friend or someone to vent to and you're willing to give me another chance, I'd be grateful to help in any way I can. I just wish it was under better circumstances.

4. Zenith

Zenith No Ordinary Swordsman

RePG:
    Profile:
    Welcome back, Steph.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. That must've been devastating to have happen, and I get how it'd still affect you and your entire family even after a month's time. I realize I don't have the best track record, but if you ever need to vent or bounce some thoughts off someone to see what they think, know there are people here willing to help.

EPIC may have been dysfunctional sometimes, but we didn't call ourselves the Shepherds for nothing.

5. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon

RePG:
    Profile:
    Welcome home.