A CA Suggestion

Discussion in 'The Soapbox' started by Doof, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Doof

Doof frogs are good Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    I'll start off this proposal with my opinion. It's very much so a commonly held opinion to be sure, and for good reason, but I'm just going to be one of the many to voice it; Continued Adventure is piss easy. No offense to the concept itself was intended, because it's pretty great! But honestly, despite being "the ultimate challenge for a trainer", the gyms aren't all that difficult. Sadly, there's not any fault of the individual teams, but that of the concept of gym leaders themselves, namely their monotype. By the time anyone in the TRPG has beaten the elite four their team is ridiculously well-prepared with items and coverage moves to where they could use a Fortress to solo a fire gym. You could potentially give people a challenge with one type if you customized their team around targeting the players weaknesses. "But Doof!" You exclaim, rapidly fanning yourself due to how flustered the absurdity of the previous sentence has left you feeling, "Surely you can't do that for every gym battle?" Well in a sense, hypothetical reader, we can!

I'll give you a minute to recover from the shock.

My suggestion to improve Continued Adventure is to give each of the Gym Leaders and E4 Members a pool of around 10 or so Pokémon to choose from every battle, and to have the player choose their team of Pokémon (which could number anywhere from four to a full team of six depending on which gym you're facing) in advance and have the gym leader choose the same number of Pokémon from their pool based around which Pokémon the challenger uses (with the exception of their ace, which will always be used). Obviously the Pokémon would predominantly be of their own type, but another part of my proposal is to have one or two Pokémon hail from the leader's extended roster (ex. the manga, the anime, Stadium, wonky-ass Diamond and Pearl Sinnoh) that aren't of their type to cover their weaknesses. Each of the Pokémon would also have a certain number of extended movepool moves given to them, I'm thinking around three each? But the details can be worked out as the project evolves.

Since not all gym leaders already have Pokémon of a different type, and since ten Pokémon is a lot to work with, I'd like to make this a community project (wait where are you going doN'T LEAVE). Although we do have a fair number of projects going on I think this would fit right in with our regional revamps. It would be a separate entity to them however, and it would be strictly based in the forum so it can be open to as many members as possible and it would only begin work on a region when it gets completely revamped. This would also give us a chance to solve another problem the gym leaders on OI face, which is having little to no canon characterization. The goal for each team would be to make them as challenging as possible while still keeping them in-character, so a lot of the discussion will be dedicated to thematics.

For example, let's do hypothetical versions of two very different cases: Sabrina and Wattson.

Sabrina would be pretty easy to come up with a team for. She has a mountain of already present characterization to plan her team around, and all kinds of not-Psychic type Pokémon since she's been around since Gen I. Across her various incarnations (discounting The Electric Tale of Pikachu), she's generally been a steadfast clairvoyant who spends a lot of time obsessing over what is to come, implying she has a bit of a control thing (evidenced further by the fact that she shrunk her parents in the anime, joins Team Rocket in Adventures, and carries around a whip in her Gen I sprites). Her Pokémon choices tend to be pretty consistent too, so much of her team is based off of recurring Pokémon from her various rosters over the years (such as Espeon, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Slowking, and Alakazam). Other Pokémon on her team include Gazalaxy and Gothitelle to reflect her whole "graceful psychic yet also really creepy" vibe, Swoobat because it was the only actual Pokémon she used as an actor in Pokestar Studios, Pearduck to show her Team Rocket involvement (and also because she had a Golduck in the TCG) and a Scizor to provide a non-psychic type that covers a lot of her weaknesses, and because she had one in her final Stadium 2 team.

Wattson, however, is a bit tougher to build a creative team for. His roster of Pokémon isn't all that varied and doesn't seem to follow an obvious pattern, and his characterization basically consists of being: 1) fat, 2) old, and 3) happy. But then, after studying the teams he used in his limited number of appearances, I discovered that his team's theme is his limited personality! With one or two exceptions, most of the Pokémon he's used have always been large and so dopey and happy about it that you just can't help smile with them. His team includes Pokémon from his Pokémon World Tournament team and his Emerald rematch (Magnezone, Saturn Electrode to up the goofiness factor, Washtom, Raichu, Plusomb, Oracle Ampharos to add some type diversity and also because he's silly, and Delta Electivire for type variety.) Galvantula was added because he fit in with the rest of Wattson's motley crew, and Walrein was selected as his coverage moon (since he doesn't actually have any in cannon) because it's a Hoenn native who's big and jolly, and his typing provides coverage against all of electric's weaknesses and resistances. Plus the two of them kind of look alike! Ironically the one who deviates from the mold the most is Wattson's ace, Manectric, but I suspect he only holds that position because he's the only electric type introduced in Hoenn besides the wondertwin rats.

Although there are kinks and details to work out, such as the legality of promo Pokémon and how we're going to put in items and extended movepool moves, I think that this type of Continued Adventure could give champions the challenge they need.

2. Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong Is okay. Obby is often used as punishment.

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    Wallaro
    I like it. Turquoise is eventually going to do p. much the same thing for rematches, actually. Anyway, it sounds like a fun community project assuming SS and Phil don't commandeer all the teams hurrdurr that shouldn't take too long and probably would up the CA challenge at least a little bit. Granted CA will still probably be pretty short overall given the new "no route requirements" thing, so I dunno if we eventually want to look into other ways to spice things up, but this is a fun start, imo.

(also, whooo stadium teams, haha)

3. Angel Knight Phil

Angel Knight Phil Drag-on Dragoon Pummelo Moderator

RePG:
    Profile:
    Phoenixsong saw.right through my plans.

4. Haas

Haas The Master of the Night Administrator

RePG:
    Profile:
    2nd Profile:
    Don't forget that revamps are changing gym leaders so this project relys on the revamps which aren't the fastest moving thing. Johto, hoenn, Sinnoh probably should be touched because we haven't even started working on the gyms.

5. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    I think we can hold off making it an Official Project for a bit, but I quite like the idea (I also like the idea of rematching Gym Leaders somehow, but that's a whole other topic). It also makes a lot of sense in context of Gym Leaders having a whole bunch of Pokemon but selecting them based on the accomplishments of their opponents.

6. Chaos Shadow

Chaos Shadow Simmered in awesome sauce

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    none
    I think we can hold off making it an Official Project for a bit, but I quite like the idea (I also like the idea of rematching Gym Leaders somehow, but that's a whole other topic). It also makes a lot of sense in context of Gym Leaders having a whole bunch of Pokemon but selecting them based on the accomplishments of their opponents.

7. Doof

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    Yeah, this definitely isn't something we can start immediately unless we want to work a bit on ironing out the details first :'B I think we should only work on regions which have been totally revamped, which leaves.... literally no regions available to do. Wow. We might be able to do OI? But even then I'm not totally sure...

8. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Something about this though, TMM and I have a little bit of practice with extended Gym Leader teams from Netbattle, so it shan't be too difficult. Although we're still not giving Falkner a Zapdos. People have been trying to do that for years since PS2.

9. Doof

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    Alright cool! But would a BST of 600 or less trio legend be out of question for say, the champion? Like no "Lance-with-either-Dialga-or-Palkia"-esque shenanigans (as it's actually posted on his CA team in Hoenn on the archives) but would giving Wallace a Manaphy or a Suicune really be that big of a deal?

10. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Yes, it would be a big deal.

11. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    So basically something kinda like Rudy's massive team options depending on type?

12. Doof

RePG:
    Profile:
    Follower:
    None
    Essentially, yes! But with a lot more discussion involved.

13. Angel Knight Phil

RePG:
    Profile:
    Uh, I'd hope not that big. There are some Gym Leaders that will have exact replica teams (of their own type anyway) because a few types are seriously lacking in variety.

10 is fine.

14. Kitsune_XIII

Kitsune_XIII Composer Ampereon

RePG:
    Profile:
    I didn't mean in terms of size, just we're looking at something... similar to that?