Let's Play Dragon Warrior Monsters!

Discussion in 'Game Corner' started by Pikang, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Pikang

Pikang resident furry and fursuiter Demi-Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    I wanted to do a Lets Play. Badly. I remember enjoying my first one of Pokemon Brown that I put on YouTube (and that ended up not being finished, but I still got fairly far for a first-timer!).

I also enjoy Dragon Quest, which used to be be known as Dragon Warrior. I have been playing my copy (I have two of them!) of this LP's subject on my GameBoy Color lately, and I figured a LP about this would be similar to a Pokemon one without being as predictable as said series.

So, without further ado...let's get monstrous!

(as a note, if you want to comment/leave a question/say anything about my LP, please feel free to! I love this game and know almost everything about it, and I'd love to pass on my knowledge!
    PART ONE - OBLIGATORY PROLOGUE SECTION

[​IMG]

The title screen of the game. Yeah, I tried playing with twice the screen size, but it didn't translate as such in the screenshots here (if anyone knows how to make it so the size of the screen-capture feature is increased when you view them, let me know!)

[​IMG]
    Our story begins in a (then-unnamed in English) village, with our two main characters - Terry and his sister Milayou. Yes, that's right - Dragon Warrior Monsters starts you playing as the swordsman from Dragon Quest VI, with his swordswoman sister appearing as well; apparently this is part of its own canon. The town is later named Gandino in DQ6, and Milayou's name was later localized as just "Milly", but at this point in history when this game was released, neither thing mattered. What does matter is this game and our enjoyment of it, so for now, after playing with Terry, Milayou decides it's a good idea to go to bed.
    [​IMG]
    She then claims it's not a good idea to stay up too late because monsters could carry naughty children away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Terry, being an adventurous sort, silently tells Milayou that he actually wants to MEET monsters, like only a silent protagonist can.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Milayou simply refuses to let her brother stay up, and the two go to bed.
    [​IMG]
    That's it, that's the game.

Okay, I lied. After a few seconds, the game hands you control of Terry, who is able to get out of bed and sneak around.
    [​IMG]
    Most (but not all) of the objects in the room are examinable, save for the potted flowers and the cup on the fireplace mantle (though the fireplace works, telling you about a spark of flame in it. Thrilling). The bookshelves contain a fairy tale book on the left one and Milayou's diary on the right one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That would make a for a most excellent video game! OH WAIT

As for Milayou's diary...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's almost like they're psychic, because that's what's about to happen, actually. The dressers hold Terry's clothing (on the left) and his sister's (on the right), so Terry heads into the adjacent room. By the way, that teddy bear near Milayou's bed will reappear later on (though it's more of foreshadowing part of the plot, instead of having a real use).
    [​IMG]
    As soon as Terry enters the next room over, the dresser on the far right opens the top drawer on its own, and a monster pops out! Meet Warubou, an elemental spirit from the kingdom of GreatLog. For the record, in the sequel games Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (yes, there were two versions of the sequel, just like Pokemon does with its franchise), Warubou is not that bad of a guy; in fact, he's a good (yet mischevious) character in helping you save GreatLog. However, from what I understand, this game was made quite a bit before the designers were thinking about making Warubou a good guy in any sort of sequel, so here he's just a rude and somewhat-cruel asshat of a monster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For some reason, Warubou has a REALLY intense fascination with taking Milayou with him to GreatLog.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To make sure he doesn't forget it, Warubou knocks Terry into the wall, dazing him. A few seconds later, he drags Milayou to the dresser and hops back in with her! Yeah, there's no sound effects for her, other than a high-pitched "falling off a cliff" sound effect that's used often in this game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Terry rushes over to the dresser, stopping about halfway as the dresser drawer opens up again.
    [​IMG]
    This time, however, a different monster hops out, being a shade of bluish-white instead of Warubou's dark gray tones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The monster spots Terry and plods over to him, repeating his question he just asked, realizing soon after that he is "too late".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Terry, just having had his sister abducted by a similar-looking monster, probably questions the newcomer about his identity (I say "probably" because I honestly don't like his silent protagonist attribute because it makes it really hard to tell what's going on at a few spots in the game...).
    [​IMG]
    This is Watabou, the elemental spirit of the kingdom of GreatTree. Watabou is essentially your mentor throughout the game, taking you back to GreatTree whenever you beat an area boss (or if you get wiped out in battle). As a note, this Let's Play will end whenever we recruit Watabou, which is always postgame.
    [​IMG]
    Terry asks if he can find his sister through going with Watabou, who answers with a "maybe".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After saying he hopes that Terry is a "skilled master" and that he should follow him to understand what's he's talking about, Watabou hops back into the dresser, and the drawer closes once again.
    [​IMG]
    The clock is interactable-with, and apparently it's midnight. The other two bookshelves have different books than the diary and story book.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, this one changes postgame, but I won't spoil that here. The other bookshelf has books that are "too difficult to read!".

I should mention...the game butchers English sometimes. As a grammar perfectionist, I prefer my periods to be threefold when used that way! Thankfully, it's quite rare, but it happens still. Also, for no discernible reason, Milayou's teddy bear makes a return in this room, but it has the same examine as before.

With that out of the way, all that's left to do is hop into the magic drawer. As soon as he opens it, Terry is sucked into the hidden portal inside the drawer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With a trippy animation and a "warp-like" sound effect, the portal whisks Terry away to a faraway place!

That's all I have for this part. You could probably notice I used bold text to signify an important thing or character, and I'll be doing it throughout the LP.

WHERE WILL TERRY END UP?

WILL HE FIND HIS SISTER?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE HELL A DRESSER DRAWER ALLOWS SOMEONE TO CROSS TIME AND SPACE?!

Tune in next time! =3

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    After a few delays, I got the next part done!

PART TWO - USED MONSTER DEALERSHIP
    [​IMG]
    After his sister was kidnapped by Warubou, and Watabou convinced Terry to follow him through that magical dresser drawer, our hero materializes on a pedestal, in what appears to be a glowy cavern filled with huge tree roots (and yes, it actually does glow a bit!) An old man approaches him and starts to speak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Despite the fact that the teleport took less than twenty seconds, the old man continues to talk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The old geezer then tells Terry that they should pay their respects to the king, and the blue-clad boy follows the man out of the room and into another, where a strange shrimp-like monster is hopping around in one spot, and a bard apparently playing music nearby. We will be back in this room later on, MAAAAAANY times!
    [​IMG]
    He leads Terry past a room with three other adults in it, as well a large column of ivy, then the two head up a staircase...
    [​IMG]
    ...and out into GreatTree!

The old man explains what GreatTree even is, telling us that it essentially a kingdom bored out of a giant tree.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gameplay-wise, GreatTree has four floors, with this being what I call "Floor 4", which I've called it that for years.

We are taken up the floors in order, with nothing happening on Floor 3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On Floor 2, a monster master heads out of the large hole and asks the old man if we're "the new master that Watabou bought". The old man confirms it, and the monster master wishes us luck at the Starry Night Tournament.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally, near the top (Floor 1), the old man tells us it's time to see the king, so we head inside!
    [​IMG]
    Once we enter the throne room, the kingdom's minister approaches us, asking us to comply with the King's request. As a note, every time you return to GreatTree, this guy heals you back to full health, usually giving you a healing Herb as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He heads back, and we're free to...only move forward. The soliders nearby can be talked to, but they block off the other areas currently.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We finally meet the King of GreatTree, who asks for our name. An interesting quirk about this is that even though Milayou referred to Terry by name earlier, the player can enter another four-letter name for the rest of the game. I don't ever do that, though, because this is the only point in the game where you can use five letters on a name (the text scrunches up a bit to compensate for the longer name as a result).
    [​IMG]
    The font is slightly different, too.
    [​IMG]
    The king asks us a simple request: participate and win in the Starry Night Tournament!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Terry then speaks up silently, claiming that he'd rather find his abducted sibling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The King is baffled by this, acting as if Terry should know his reason for being here already, but then he gets a better idea than Terry just searching for Milayou.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As it turns out, there is a legend that whoever wins the Tournament will be granted a wish. The King remarks that he and Terry would both win that way, prompting Terry to accept his request to participate in the Tournament, since he'll be able to search for Milayou that way as he prepares for the championship fight.
    [​IMG]
    His Majesty offers to give Terry some monsters! Booyah! The titular monsters are coming at last!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He tells us to visit Pulio, the keeper of the Monster Farm, to receive some monsters, then does his trademark "Busy Busy Busy!" quote, with the jester on the right moving for the King to exit through a private passage. Later on, this jester will explain lore behind the various bosses we fight. so he's pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    The soldier on the right staircase has moved, so we head upstairs to the Monster Farm, which is situated on the canopy of GreatTree.
    [​IMG]
    Pulio is standing next to a Slime, with a Dracky hanging out nearby. We ignore him for the time being and go explore the farm for a bit.

Oh, before I continue, I realize some of you who have played the DS versions of Dragon Quest 4, 5 and 6 (as well as Dragon Quest 8 and 9) will know the monsters by some other English names. I will provide the new and old names and my opinion on each monster for every first encounter in a battle with a new species (though I don't know ALL of them)! Slime and Dracky still have their names, so we'll just move to the right; the Farm is a 2-by-3 grid, and the game's movement is tile-based.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing over here yet, but it's still got a use. Remember that ivy on Floor 4? This spot is where we end up when we climb it, making it a handy shortcut!
    [​IMG]
    This part of the map has a MadKnight and a Lipsy separated by a gap in the ground. Apparently, they're lovers, but the MadKnight cannot reach his love because of the hole. The sign nearby states that the hole is a result of GreatTree's growth.
    [​IMG]
    A lone BigEye sits inert on this screen directly north of Pulio, wondering where it can get meat treats. The sign tells me to "go for it with courage", but trying to fall down the ledge has the BigEye stop you from doing so.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I guess I kinda forgot the fact that unlike Pokemon, monsters can speak English.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing to the left...yet.
    [​IMG]
    A strange fisherman (I know you can't tell that's what he is) is fishing off the side. His jar occasionally has rare items in it! The ArmyAnt on this screen is blocking the way to the Stables, claiming that...uh oh!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is not a good sign.

Talking to Pulio has him ask if you're there to steal his monsters! You can say yes and still befriend him, but that's mean, so I don't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I say no.
    [​IMG]
    Pulio introduces himself, then introduces his profession and states that we can pick our monsters. Unfortunately, therein lies his aforementioned blunder...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The monster is question is Slib, a Slime, and the pet of the previous King. Pulio then presents us with a menu, which I will explain below.
    [​IMG]
    • Drop Off is like depositing a Pokemon in a PC
    • Pick Up is withdrawing a monster
    • Check allows you to check their status
    • Separate is releasing a monster
    • Sleep is interesting. The farm can only hold 19 monsters, but another 19 can be held if you send the original 19 to sleep in the stable. Think of a Pokemon PC box switching, but with only two of them available.
    As mentioned before, Slib is the only monster we can take, so we pick it up.
    [​IMG]
    Here's Slib's stats. A rundown:
    • ATK is Attack, how much physical damage you deal.
    • DEF is Defense, how much damage you take.
    • AGL is Agility, essentially speed.
    • INT is Intelligence, basically magic damage.
    • WLD is Wildness, a new stat. If a monster has high WLD, it will sometimes disobey. Meat treats will reduce it, but leaving a monster on the farm while not asleep will increase it. The maximum is 255, unlike the other stats.
    • HP is Health Points. Obviously...
    • MP is Magic Points.
    [​IMG]
    Slib is always male, with a Whimsy personality (which affects how they grow), is part of the Slime family, and needs ten EXP to get to the next level. I'm his new Master, so Terry's name shows up since I didn't rename him. On a side note, Slib is usually of the Ordinary personality in my actual cartridge games.
    [​IMG]
    He has no MP, so no magic spells are known to him...yet. No spells are not always a sign of no MP, however, and vice versa.
    [​IMG] .
    This screen is the last one, showing his parents. Slib, being technically a wild monster, has none known to us.
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice that the black bar at the bottom of the screen now has our monster's HP and MP, as well as their family icon.

We then finally leave the farm, heading back to the king. He seems confused at our choice, however...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The King correctly deduces that Pulio accidentally let all the other monsters escape, and calls for him, with the jester on the right fetching the kid for His Majesty. After begging for forgiveness, an embarrassed Pulio admits to the King that Hale, his own favorite monster, has escaped as well!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Red with anger, the King orders Pulio to be thrown into the dungeon. This prompts Terry to step forward (the only thing that can be pressed is up on the + pad), silently asking the king if he can catch Hale and bring him back and pardon Pulio.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pulio mentions that Hale escaped through "the Traveler's Gate". The King takes note, telling Terry that he should hurry and bring back Hale before he takes his leave, telling us we can take the contents of the two chests in the next room. They both contain Herbs, a healing item that's very common early on; there are bookshelves and two more jesters to interact with, but we'll look at them later.

Time for a bit of lore! The Traveler's Gates are strange blue portals (you probably noticed that one near the Lipsy and MadKnight on the Farm!) that whisk the one entering it to an alien world, where monsters roam freely, making up the game's dungeons. There are several randomized floors behind each Gate, and clearing them all and defeating the boss will cause it to stop swirling, essentially marking it as done (well, I say that you have to clear all the floors, but you really don't, and you might see why later on). It's a bit strange how Pulio mentioned that Hale escaped through THE Gate, because there's multiple Gates.

As for the Starry Night Tournament, it is a battle tournament that is held every 47th full moon. A meteor shower rains down as the fights are held, and as mentioned before, legend has is that the victor is granted a wish.
    [​IMG]
    The soldier on the right is now blocking the Farm off, but the one on the left has moved, so we can enter the Chamber of Traveler's Gates.
    [​IMG]
    The doors will unlock as we get farther in the game, so we can only head into the Gate of Beginner (they all have names).
    [​IMG]
    There is only one Gate here, but the majority of Chamber rooms have two. The only thing left to do is enter the Gate and begin our search for Hale!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WILL TERRY FIND HALE?

WHAT MONSTERS LURK BEHIND THE GATE OF BEGINNER?

WHY IS THE PATH TO THE GATE OF BEGINNER SO UNNECESSARILY LONG?!

Tune in next time, where we'll begin the adventure proper!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    I went ahead and did the third part. Feel free to comment/post after each section, guys; I would greatly appreciate it!

PART THREE - HALE AND HEARTY
    [​IMG]
    Upon entering the Gate of Beginning (I got the name slightly wrong, it is Beginning, not Beginner), Terry and Slib wind up on an island-like map. As it turns out, to add variety to the dungeons, the game designers added a feature where each map can have different appearances, which I will be documenting as we find them. For now, only islands are available. Also, you'll notice that the path is quite narrow with no trees or hills, this is just a floor type with 2-tile-thick pathways and no scenery, and it gets more common on some other gates.
    [​IMG]
    Walking north a bit gives us a random Herb, which is good because right now we only have two. For reference, you can only hold twenty items at once.
    [​IMG]
    Further north is the mystic hole - the exit of the level. For now, we're going to ignore it and look for wild monsters!
    [​IMG]
    It isn't long into exploring the island that we get attacked by one!

[​IMG]
    The bat-like Dracky (sometimes spelled Drackee) blocks our path! At this point it's a bit stronger than Slib, but it'll fall off in usefulness quite quickly if we catch it. At this point, you don't need the meat treat items to persuade it to join you, since in this Gate, as long as you're still technically in what can be considered the games' tutorial, Dracky and the other new monster have a much higher chance of joining your side anyway.
    [​IMG]
    You can also find wild Slimes around, but they're just for experience for now. Anyway, back to Dracky...
    [​IMG]
    Even though it hits fairly hard, for now we hit harder.
    [​IMG]
    Aaaaand it's gone! It says "knocked out", but the sequel games have your monsters just die! Not permanently, though, but still...eeesh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If a monster gets back up and looks at you, that means you essentially caught it! You can refuse it and it'll sadly leave, but why would you do that?!
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, you have to name your monsters. And as I implied before, you also have to make it four letters or less. The sequels made it so you could name it up to five, which doesn't sound like much still, but it does allow for way more names in reality. But here, that's too bad, you're stuck with four or less.
    [​IMG]
    We name this female Dracky "Drek" because that's what I name my Gate of Beginning Drackies every time!
    [​IMG]
    Drek's stats are a bit better than Slib's overall, other than DEF. You'll notice she actually has MP!
    [​IMG]
    With a Reckless personality, being part of the Bird family, and only needing 2 EXP to the next level, Drek isn't half-bad at this point in the game.
    [​IMG]
    She also actually has a spell in the form of Antidote! This poison-curing spell seems like it'd be very handy, but strangely, there are no poisonous monsters for a good while...

After more exploration, we find our final new foe for this Gate...
    [​IMG]
    A beastly Anteater (known as Antbear in the sequel games, and one of the only monsters to get a name change in the sequels) appears, ready to eat some ants and kick our butt! No really, this is the strongest monster in the Gate...at least when it comes to ATK. It hits hard, but knows no magic and is otherwise easily dispatched because of its other horrible stats.

After taking care of this one...
    [​IMG]
    Yesss, a level up!

This Anteater doesn't join us, but eventually, one does!
    [​IMG]
    Same thing as Drek, a name I've used every time.
    [​IMG]
    Aent's stats really are that poor. Nine HP is a massive problem at this point. However, her ATK is really good for now! For now.
    [​IMG]
    Aent is a Spoiled Anteater, of the Beast family, and needs only one EXP? Wow... (I did some grinding before I took this pic and it still took a bit to level up, so I'm pretty sure it had more EXP left when I caught it).
    [​IMG]
    Here's our current team on the pause screen. You'll notice that we have no money (Gold) to start out with. Only three types of items spawn in this Gate, with one being Herbs, one being WarpWings (an item later known as chimera wings) and one being TinyMedals (later known as mini medals). None of them are money. Herbs are by far the most common ones, WarpWings are rare, and TinyMedals are so rare you'll probably not see one in quite a few playthroughs of this level.
    [​IMG]
    I only took this screenshot to show off the scenery options for the island styles of map.
    [​IMG]
    The map can be accessed by pressing Select; it also tells you what floor out of how many you're on. Pressing Start changes the white bar with our monsters' stats showing will swap it over to their levels, pressing it again will return it to HP and MP. Speaking of MP, let me show you my team before the boss...
    [​IMG]
    Slib is much stronger now especially in HP, and has actually gained some MP! He's lost some WLD from battling alongside me, too!
    [​IMG]
    Drek is easily our best party member right now, with more balanced stats and no more WLD.
    [​IMG]
    Aent has improved as well, but her HP still kinda sucks. She still has a point of WLD, though, but hey, it's almost all gone!

Finally, time for this Gate's boss! As we head down the fourth and final mystic hole, Terry and his crew find themselves in a scene directly out of Dragon Quest 4.
    [​IMG]
    No, really. This is a recreation of a scene in the first segment of DQ4: Chapters of the Chosen (the Famicom version, I think it was). This dungeon is from Ragnar's first monster-infested area, and that Healslime there is reminiscent of Healie! But PLOT TWIST! That's Hale over there in Healie's place! Talking to him has him say this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So he attacks Terry!
    [​IMG]
    Healslime, previously known in the GameBoy era as just Healer, is a Slime family monster just like Slib. Aside from being a boss (which means increased power against us), Healer can also...well, use Heal. It's not very potent, however, and even though as a boss he has more HP than a regular Healer, he goes down quickly from my trained monsters!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you might expect, Hale decides to join us after we show him who's the real boss! If you say no, he'll go back to the King, but why would you do THAT?! No, he's way too useful to get rid of, so ALWAYS take him!
    [​IMG]
    As a fun fact, bosses that join you are already named when you get to this screen.
    [​IMG]
    "Choose a monster back to farm."

Yeah...poor grammar aside, you can only cart around three monsters at a time. I sent back Aent, since her stats are so bad still. And speaking of stats, here's Hale's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, his DEF sucks, but with training he'll become pretty good for early game fights! After we send Aent back to the farm, Hale starts to talk some more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Watabou then jumps in from who-knows-where and congratulates us, telling us he'll take us back to the castle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And he does, sending us in front of the King and next to the minister.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With that, the King pardons Pulio, and the young farmer, overjoyed with his current situation and your assistance, heads back to his job!

The King then speaks up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He says we should beat all the arena challenges to be able to compete in the Tournament, then he dismisses us, leaving for his private chambers. The jester blocking the chamber mentions the Starry Night Tournament if we haven't asked him already.
    [​IMG]
    Afterwards, the minister heals us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He does this every time you return from the mystic world.
    After we're handed back control, we can look around the castle a bit more. Here's a screenshot of the room I mentioned in the last part, with the Herb-holding chests.
    [​IMG]
    The bookshelves and jesters don't say anything I haven't explained yet, other than there are other tree kingdoms like GreatTree, such as GreatLog, BigStump, and DeadTree (though those last two aren't mentioned until later in the game).

Heading back to the farm allows us to talk to Pulio, who thanks us, then tells us a secret!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, the monsters that escaped came back, and a SkyDragon is hanging around in the northwest corner. We have to wait under it for something good to happen!

Before we do that, let's take look around a bit more (nothing has changed in the areas northeast and west of Pulio, other than the ArmyAnt's dialogue changing and a TinyMedal in the fisherman's pot).
    [​IMG]
    A FloraMan hangs out here, explaining that monsters actually have level limits and that it's reached its own limit. Once a monster hits the level limit (the max is 99 for the best ones), it can't gain any more stats or levels, even through items!
    [​IMG]
    A second BigEye has joined the one from before.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, there's the SkyDragon Pulio mentioned, (as well as a Golem). Waiting in a specific spot does this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Awesome, a SkyDragon egg! This is actually really good! Monster eggs have to be left on the farm, though.
    Trying to get another egg from the SkyDragon results in this strangely funny scenario:
    [​IMG]
    It just keeps pooping on Terry if he tries it more. On an unrelated note, that Slime next to Pulio is actually Slib's grandson Slio.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To this day, I am not sure how to pronounce that. It's either SLY-OH or SLEE-OH. Meh.

Heading back downstairs and outside the castle results in a small cutscene playing, with a man falling off a ledge that we can use ourselves as a shortcut!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    he ded
    [​IMG]
    Nah, he's all good. The old man from before is blocking our path further down due to walking slow and being in pain as he does so, so for now, Terry heads into the arena. There's another area to the right on Floor 2, but let's look at the arena first; we'll come back to explore GreatTree some more.
    [​IMG]
    The lobby has an intimidating stone face for the entrance leading to the arena itself, but we can only head in if we register for a class. The receptionist on the bottom part of the screen explains the rules:
    • Each battle class has three fights, and the classes themselves grow gradually harder.
    • The classes start at G, then go to F, E, D, C, B, A, and finally S.
    • You cannot give specific commands to monsters in these battles. You can give them a strategy to follow (like using mainly attack spells or defend/heal more than usual), but otherwise they are on their own.
    • No items can be used.
    • Running counts as a loss.
    • Your monsters will not heal in between battles
    • The third fight is against a more powerful monster master, usually someone you've met that's slightly more important than normal.
    We're not quite going to fight yet. There's some exploring to do!
    [​IMG]
    This monster master is Teto. He's a newbie like us, but we won't see him much more until we get farther in the game. Let's head into the arena grandstands.
    [​IMG]
    Two monsters masters and a Golem can be talked to. The one talking to the Golem (who is named BeBe) keeps trying to teach her Japanese words.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I don't get it, and you don't either, so don't even try. Talking with "Bebe" afterwards results in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As for the barrels...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The third one is at least rewarding for examining it.
    [​IMG]
    The fourth one...not so much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know why the hole is there, I think it's useless and just "there".

There's a restaurant in the back, with a waitress and two rival monster masters out front. I forgot to take a picture of the area, but here's some pics of the interior:
    [​IMG]
    The bard sitting by his lonesome is drunk, and spouts seemingly random gibberish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Take note of what he said, because to the left of the entrance to the restaurant are two old men who give advice on items and saving, two statues of Watabou, and a Goopi in front of three odd-looking tiles. As it turns out, this is a monsterized version of Rock Paper Scissors!
    [​IMG]
    This is where the bard's advice comes into play! "Bomb" refers to BombCrag, a monster that is used here in lieu of Rock (it IS a rock!). "Army" means ArmyCrab, which is Scissors (because crab claws!). Bubble refers to the (soft-skinned) Babble monster, which replaces Paper. Essentially, the bard gave us the answers to how Goopi will play RPS! Just step on the tiles in the order the bard mentioned five times in a row! If you do mess up or even draw, you will have to start again. Defeating Goopi at its own game will make it reveal a reward: a staircase leading to a hidden area!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As an interesting note, Goopi visibly shows its RPS choice on its hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pretty neat for an androgynous severed hand stuck in mud...
    [​IMG]
    Up the stairs is the Queen of GreatTree, her private minister, and monster master Mick, who gives us advice for stuff we'll cover after the F class battles!
    The queen herself tells me to come back later; her function is essentially "show me a monster and I'll reward you". Her requests can be tough, but they give great items! On a side note, I have never finished all of her requests...nor do I know why she lives alone, separate from the King.

By the way, does that teddy bear look familiar?
    [​IMG]
    The soldier and bard here simply tell you the monsters that can be found on the set of Traveler's Gates you're currently trying to beat. A FangSlime is here on the stage, but you cannot interact with it.
    [​IMG]
    A BombCrag wanders around here, with the ball-and-chain guy being its master. The guy in the red helmet usually tells us the team of the final battler in a class, but here he just says it's the principal of the Monster Master School.
    [​IMG]
    North of them is a growling Hork, a priest, and a strange mirror. Interacting with it...is weird.
    [​IMG]
    Oh...?
    [​IMG]
    UMMM...
    [​IMG]
    Uhhhh...
    [​IMG]
    It ran off. So I guess that was a MadMirror that just mimicked Terry.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the school are two students and the principal, who teaches us how to catch monsters. I will go into that more in-depth later. Funnily enough, the chalkboard changes what is written on it further throughout the game, and it is here where we learn the pointless fact that the principal is bald.
    That's about all we can do here, so we head past the BombCrag and into the lobby again. But there's one more feature I can touch on here!
    [​IMG]
    This table may look like just that - a table. But if you sit at the stool at the long end of the table, your monsters will each sit down on one of the remaining stools, allowing you to talk to them, making them say things based on their personality. Leaving the screen will have them regroup and follow you around again.
    [​IMG]
    Hale is pretty long-winded for these speeches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To quote BrutalMoose of YouTube..."Wow, that's almost TOO insightful."

In any case, Drek is a bit more violent.
    [​IMG]
    As for Slib...
    [​IMG]
    This is the one place where the grammar conventions most people are used to are destroyed the most, but even then it's not THAT bad.

At last, it's time to start the fight! We prepare to talk to the receptionist closest to to the stone face.
    [​IMG]
    WILL TERRY CONQUER G CLASS?

WHAT WILL THE PRINCIPAL OF THE MONSTER SCHOOL HAVE ON HIS TEAM?

WHY DOES THAT FREAKING GOLEM SAY "BOO BAA BOO BAA"?!

See you guys next time! comment pls

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    I did more recording with a friend!

That's right, it's time for...

PART FOUR - THIS SECTION IS RATED "G" FOR "GOLEM"

We begin this section with Terry talking with the arena receptionist. She gives us a rundown, but not before flirting with us...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the soldiers in the restaurant implies she's a bit older than other Dragon Quest bunny girls. Growing up, I always thought she was just a nurse...
    [​IMG]
    She then brings up the list of class prices, ranging from G class being free to D class being 100G. For the record, these are really paltry amounts of money we're talking - S class is a whopping 10k gold! However, we can only go up to D right now at a maximum.
    [​IMG]
    After entering the class, we head into the arena, full of cheering fans!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G CLASS ROUND ONE
    Dracky X2
    Anteater
    [​IMG]

The challenger enters with his team, and the announcer temporarily turns into Michael Buffer (better known as the guy who says "Let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeee!").
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the fight starts!
    [​IMG]
    I'll cut to the chase - this screenshot...
    [​IMG]
    ...turns into this one really quick. Unless you're using only one monster, there is no challenge here whatsoever.
    [​IMG]
    G CLASS ROUND TWO
    Slime X2
    Stubsuck

[​IMG]
    I forgot to get a screenshot of this guy's team in action, but it goes down just as quickly, so I'll explain my thoughts on Stubsuck later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    G CLASS FINAL ROUND
    Spooky X2
    Hork
    [​IMG]

The principal walks in, with his team of all-Zombie-family monsters, then gives us a small speech like every other third arena challenger does:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The fight for beating G class begins!
    [​IMG]
    Time for some new thoughts on new monsters!
    • The principals' Spooky duo (name later known simply as Ghost) are not that challenging, other than their LushLicks skill, which essentially makes your monster waste a turn shivering after being licked by the ghostly monster. It does no damage, however, and Spooky doesn't hit that hard.
    • Hork (known as Walking Corpse in future games), on the other hand, is a slight pain to take care of. Later encounters with wild Horks will have them knowing a poison gas skill, but here I don't think it has such a move here. It does hit slightly harder and has quite a bit more HP, but other than that, if you've trained enough, this team is a cakewalk to beat.
    We've done it! We beat G class!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The crowd applauds, we are healed fully, and we exit the arena, where the receptionist congratulates us!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just then, the kingdom's minister heads our way and lets us know that the King has summoned us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The King shuts up just in time for a party-crasher to show up. Enter the King of GreatLog!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He turns to us, and I'm reminded that I once had a dream where I was in Terry's place and this bastard smelled like old farts and moldy bread...

So I beat him up in the dream. But that doesn't happen here, sadly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He then turns to the King of GreatTree and gloats about how it'll be a quick battle, then leaves laughing.
    [​IMG]
    Spoiler alert: we're gonna save his kingdom and his ass in the sequel games, where he's a changed man. But here, we'll just have to deal with this arrogant pile of horse crap of a monarch, and make him eat his words!

You can tell that I really hate this guy, can't you?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The King encourages us to visit the new Traveler's Gate room he opened up for us as a reward for beating G class, that room being the Room of Villager and Talisman. Stronger monsters live there, but we're ready for them!
    [​IMG]
    This door is open now, and leads to the room.
    [​IMG]
    The top gate is Villager. The bottom one is Talisman. Even though I normally go with the Gates in the order that the Nintendo Power article on this game covered (ie, going into Villager first), I always go for Talisman first. I find the boss there easier and more useful for beating Villager with than playing through Villager first.

Speaking of bosses, here's the lore jester's lore on them, which I have transcribed for easier reference:

If you know anything about the original NES game of Dragon Warrior, you should be able to figure out that the bosses (Dragon and Golem) are coming up! Usually, the Gate names have something to do with the bosses themselves as well.
    [​IMG]
    Terry winds up in a new terrain type upon entering the Gate - what I like to call the alpine mountains. It doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest yet, but later on there will be some map types with increased chances of terrain hazards.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, now HERE's a rare sight - a foreign monster master! Essentially the Pokemon Trainers of this game, they come from the respective kingdoms to train in the mystic worlds. Unfortunately, they are almost always ready to fight YOU as well, and at this point, they are far too hard. Normally, I put these guys in their place, but our current team cannot handle their myriad of skills and poweful-for-now monsters; their team is based on the levels of ours, taking our team's combined total level and generating a possible list from that. Also, different masters can do different things when you beat them:
    • The red male Soldiers and orange female Soldiers will give us two items, one always a WarpWing, and the other being a rare item, like Books, Staves, and TinyMedals
    • Merchants (with fat-looking green sprites) will fill our remaining inventory spots with all sorts of meat treats.
    • Wizards (who look like the old man from earlier, wearing gray robes) will teleport us to the floor before the boss, very handy later on!
    • Priests are common, and recognizable from their blue vestments. They will fully heal you if you win.
    • Finally, green-clothed Bards (they hold a harp) will give us a medicine that raises each monster's weakest stat by 20 - an awesome boon indeed!
    But the best part about foreign masters? Their monsters are usually untrusting of their masters, and if you have enough meat treats, you can take one for yourself! It's like legal Snagging from Pokemon Colosseum/XD, for sure! They will almost always have monsters that can't be found behind the Gates in the wild, so always take a good look at their teams if you have some meat!

Speaking of meat, we find some a bit later on, and now seems like a good time to explain how monster catching works otherwise!
    There are five meat treats types:
    • BeefJerky is the weakest at enticing monsters, but in plentiful supply behind the Gates and very cheap in shops.
    • PorkChop is a bit better, but a bit more expensive in shops and more rare in the Gates.
    • Rib is very good early on, and after we get to a certain point in the game, they will almost always be on the ground in place of BeefJerkies and PorkChops. However, they're quite a bit more expensive than the other two, but still pretty reasonably priced.
    • Sirloin is the best of the meats, and almost always makes monsters mouth's salivate when they see you pull one out (or that's what I like to think at least!) Be prepared to pay a pretty penny for just one, however; at 1000G a pop, it's not cheap at all, and though they do appear in the wild, it won't be until much later on!
    • Finally, there's the nasty, disgusting BadMeat, which believe it or not does tame monsters...just doing a worse job than BeefJerky and also poisoning the target! I dump BadMeat from my inventory EVERY time!
    Catching monsters with this meat is simple: just feed it to them during battle! One meat treat affects all remaining monsters at once! HOWEVER, keep in mind that only the monster you KO last will have a chance at joining you (though there is a tiny chance that they'll join you without any persuasion at all)! This is how it always works - no exceptions!

Anyway, enough explaining stuff for now, let's move on.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a meat's sprite on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, some Spookies attack us near the mystic hole. I explained them before, so I just beat them up and move on.

You'll notice there's two Spookies instead of the one monster per battle like we saw in the Gate of Beginning. From now on, as little as only one to up to three monsters will attack us at a time.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, here's a new monster: ArmyAnt! I usually try to get an ArmyAnt for its usefulness against the Gate of Talisman's boss, so I give this one a PorkChop and it joins us afterwards. You'll note that there's Anteaters here too, but they still suck, plain and simple.
    [​IMG]
    I name her Armi. Even though she only has two MP, her skill of NapAttack is great (though I forgot to screenshot her...)! It does damage AND may put the target to sleep! Which is good, because the boss of this Gate is weak to sleep attacks! HOWEVER...
    [​IMG]
    Drek not only has better stats, but also a more reliable sleep move, appropriately named just "Sleep". Even though it's a spell and not a special physical attack, it does no damage whatsoever. It is more reliable, however, and even though I really want to use Armi, Drek is the better choice here now that she has Sleep, so I send Armi back for now.
    [​IMG]
    Here's some gold I found. TinyMedals share this sprite, so we'll be picking up every bit of gold we find, since it doesn't count towards your inventory limit (though TinyMedals do!).
    [​IMG]
    Here's a WarpWing's sprite. They immediately eject you from the mystic world when used, and send you back to GreatTree's minister.

Eventually I find all I want on this floor and head down the hole.
    [​IMG]
    Ahh, how nice! A church! The priest here will heal us for free, just as long as we have any sort of HP or MP missing (if not, he has some extra dialogue)! Not only that, but we can actually save here. That's right - you cannot normally save the game in the mystic world!
    [​IMG]
    We head down this room's hole. We are then promptly attacked by monsters!
    [​IMG]
    You probably remember Goopi (later known as Muddy Hand), right? I kinda like them, but they're annoying to fight here. They know LegSweep, a non-damaging move that's like Spooky's LushLicks; that is, it makes your monster miss a turn, this time by tripping them up. Flying monsters like Drek cannot be hit by it, though!

We manage to beat them, and the male Goopi joins us!
    [​IMG]
    Terrible defense for a Material family monster! Then again, it IS mud-based, and mud isn't very sturdy...in any case, I send Mivo back.
    [​IMG]
    Our final new monster is the budgie-like Picky (known as Bludgerigar in later games). It's pretty good early on, but I didn't have enough meat to nab it here.

Finally, we reach the boss room. It appears to be in the world of Alefgard from Dragon Warrior 1!
    [​IMG]
    Uh-oh, there's Warubou! He talks to the Golem guarding that town. They chat a bit and Golem eventually gets fed up, and he punts Warubou to what seems like the moon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yeah bye

Talking to Golem from the top angle does nothing, but moving in front of him (the direction he kicked Warubou in) has him attack you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You mean...

Err...anyway...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's time to fight Golem! This monster is sometimes called Brick Golem, Rock Golem, or Gold Golem, depending on the material it's made of in later games, but it usually has the same body shape. Interestingly, there is a very strong monster in this game named GoldGolem, but it looks nothing like this one.
    [​IMG]
    Golem is VERY weak to sleep spells. They don't ALWAYS hit, but they work often enough to make this boss quite easy.
    [​IMG]
    Soon, we beat him...and he wants to join us!
    [​IMG]
    Not a very creative default name, but it'll do!
    [​IMG]
    Golm is from the Material family and starts at level 7, but he grows a bit slowly.
    [​IMG]
    The only stat that sucks here is AGL; everything else is really good! We're gonna send Drek back (this screenshot is from after I did that).
    [​IMG]
    ChargeUP charges the next physical attack to be stronger. PsycheUp is that same concept, but weaker and acting immediately. StrongD is VERY useful, it makes all incoming damage to Golm very much weakened (usually down to single digits!).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Watabou then appears and drops some info we didn't know before...standing on top of the village!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He tells us we're headed back to the castle, then takes us back! Upon arriving from a boss, the jester on the left side of the throne reacts to something the king says that's witty or obvious.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He almost always does this. Kinda gets old after a while.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His Majesty then tells us to "use the Vault and Library well" and then he takes his leave.
    It's time to take on the Gate of Villager...in the next episode!

WILL TERRY USE GOLM THE GOLEM WELL?

WHAT SORT OF WEIRD THINGS WILL HE FIND IN DRAGON'S BOSS ROOM?

WHY IS GOLM'S OLD VILLAGE SO TINY?!

Tune in next time! =3

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  5. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    Yes, it's been a while. Yes, it's been so much of a while that I forgot a few reasons why I did some stuff in the LP.

But it's not dead! I still have the screenshots I need, and haven't progressed past the end of this chapter right here, so we're good to go on with...

PART FIVE - YOUR PRINCESS IS IN THIS CASTLE

So we were going to take on the Gate of Villager last time we left off. I didn't get any pics of the terrain in this chapter because there was nothing new to show in that regard. There are, however, certainly some new monsters.

[​IMG]
    For instance, GoHopper (Walking Stick) is an interesting monster, but not a particularly powerful one. It has the distinction of being unable to be hatched from any eggs as a result of two other monsters...but we'll get to that later! It does have Golm's ChargeUP skill, but it's quite frail. Still, an interesting monster to be sure.
    [​IMG]
    A couple of the StubSuck (Stump Chump) monster species attacks us later. They've got decent HP and have the Sleep spell. Not much else to say about them.

I forgot a few monsters from the Gate of Talisman, so here's the two I got to appear, thanks to savestates:
    [​IMG]
    The fluffy PillowRat (Feralball, left) and Gremlin (still named Gremlin these days, right) attack at one point. Gremlin is a bit stronger magically, since it has the Firebal spell (no, that is not a typo, that is how the ability name is spelled), but is even more frail than GoHopper and barely more so than Anteater. PillowRat, on the other hand, is super annoying to fight with its Sidestep skill, which makes the evasion rate go through the roof (but only for physical attacks)! And yes, PillowRat is greenish and has three eyes (it's implied to be mutated moss fused with a mouse).

This Gate has one less floor than the previous one (four instead of five), and we eventually make it to the boss room.
    [​IMG]
    Terry find himself behind a large locked double door set, with a table, chair, and bed as the only decorations. A beautiful princess (Lady Lora from the GBC version of the original game "Dragon Warrior" on the NES, to be exact!) and a large dragon are also with us. The dragon is sound asleep, thankfully.

Talking with Lora (spelled "Laura" here, as shown later on) results in this dialogue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Truth be told, I'm too nice to say no in this game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Carry her back? Well, it's worth a shot...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So she's too heavy for the child version of Terry to rescue. The dialogue ends here, but you can talk to her again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've never ever said no to this as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The conversation seems to have roused the dragon, however, as talking to it now wakes it up and engages you into a battle with it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dragon (Green Dragon) is a staple of the series, having been in many of the games in some form. There are also red dragons, but not in this game, so for now we only have a green one to deal with. It knows a fire sword attack (FireSlash) that powerfully hits a single ally, and a fire breath attack (FireAir) that does fire damage to the entire party.

It's not THAT strong, though, especially with Golm factored in. Dragon is technically who you're supposed to go for first, but Golm's large HP makes it easier to take on Dragon.
    [​IMG]
    So we defeat Dragon and it decides to come with us! Yay! We'll send Hale back for now.
    [​IMG]
    The default name is meh, though, but for someone like me who's played this multiple times, it's iconic.
    [​IMG]
    Right, that's both bosses that we have access to down and out! Watabou flies in from nowhere and lands next to Dran.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He takes us back to the King's throne room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now seems like a good time to show off the unlocked areas of GreatTree! After the king leaves, we leave the castle and head downstairs.
    [​IMG]
    To the right of the Arena (on Floor 2) is a small area with a ladder and two dudes who talk about TinyMedals.
    [​IMG]
    Up the ladder is an area with a plaque with a TinyMedal symbol on it.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the hole is a regal-looking nobleman with a Metaly blocking a door. This is the Medal Man, and every time we find a TinyMedal, we should bring them to him. Why? Because he collects them, and can give you very rare monster eggs for a certain amount of them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He explains what I just did above, then says something verrrrrry familiar...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We have two TinyMedals already, so we hand them over. The Medal Man says he'll give us a ZapBird egg when we get 13 of them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you can't tell by now, the Medal Man is in fact the King of GreatTree. That path the Metaly is blocking is a shortcut to the throne room.

We leave and head down to Floor 3, where stuff has opened up!
    [​IMG]
    The first thing you'll probably notice is that we have no way of accessing the bottom floor right now. The second thing you might notice is that there's more to the right of us, but for now we'll climb down the well.
    [​IMG]
    Spoooooky.
    [​IMG]
    The well has no water in in, instead housing an essentric professor (who uses a sprite for a monster for his overworld sprite) and his assistant.
    [​IMG]
    The assistant is quite nice (for an old lady who lives in a well, anyway), but the professor is busy with an experiment and tells us not to bother him. The bookshelves gives some tips and lore, but nothing we need yet. The pot next to the giant cauldron has the assistant's denture case - nothing we want a part of for our own purposes.

North of the well is the Library. Here, we can find out some lore about the monster's we've had in our possession, find out other gameplay tips, and see what skills a species can have!
    [​IMG]
    The lady next to Terry in this screenshot tells us how many monsters we've had as pals, while the lady blocking the desk entrances tells us she'll let us in if we get 100 monsters recorded in the Library!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now seems like an appropriate time to talk about monster families more in-depth! There are ten in all:
    • Slime family monsters are the famous faces of Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior. They have generally high AGL and know more support skills than most other monsters, growing at a medium-fast rate and (in my experience) being more resistant to status spells than other families.
    • Dragon family monsters are, well, dragons. They are strong physically and some are immune entirely to fire and fire breath spells, but they are the slowest growers out of the first nine families.
    • Beast family monsters are wild animals, and though they are kind of weak to instant-death and some poison/paralysis spells, they have high HP and ATK, having a middling growth.
    • Bird family monsters are all aerial or have wings/beaks. They are the fastest to level up of all, and some, unlike what Pokemon teaches, are immune to electrical attacks.
    • Plant family monsters are usually a mobile plant, or at least have plant parts. They have high MP and INT, and are some of the best spellcasters, but they have quite low AGL. Having roots for feet doesn't help mobility, I suppose...
    • Bug family monsters are insectoid or crustacean-like in design, and have more resistance to poison and paralysis. They have lower HP, but they grow a bit faster than beasts.
    • Devil family monsters are all demonic or dark-themed in some way. Other than Plants, they are some of the best spellcasters, and have very good ATK as well. Sadly, they are rare early on, and a good amount of them of them are, outside of breeding, only obtainable from foreign masters' parties, not to mention they grow slowly.
    • Zombie family monsters are undead. They have some of the worst HP values, and are actually claimed to be weak to instant death and paralysis/sleep spells, but they hit hard and some are quite smart. They grow at a medium-slow rate.
    • Material family monsters are either based on inanimate objects, or are mostly made of natural materials, like stone, bricks, ice, lava, metal, clay, and so on. In terms of resistances, they are the opposite of Dragon family members, having a resistance to ice and ice breath skills (with some being completely immune). This is my favorite family, but sadly, they are slow growers (not as slow as dragons, but still there)
    • Finally, we have Boss family monsters. Every last one of these monsters are based on a major boss from Dragon Quest, and they have no real weaknesses, being super-smart, super-strong, and overall very rare. They do not appear in the wild, are only obtainable by breeding, and are generally sought-after, but they are the slowest growers of all, even worse than Dragons. It takes a whopping 100 XP to get them to to level 2 from level 1, no matter what!
    We leave the Library and head to the right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the Vault, a place where we can store items and money. If we are wiped out in battle, we lose half our gold, and if it was a monster master that did the deed, we lose two random items, too. The vault is great for storing items and gold you don't want to lose, since if you do kick the bucket in battle, you don't lose what's in here!

Even farther to the right takes us to a new area: the Bazaar!
    [​IMG]
    A place to buy and sell stuff, obviously, is needed in any RPG. The Bazaar only has this one shop here right now, but more will open up.
    [​IMG]
    This pot has a third TinyMedal in it.
    [​IMG]
    We don't have enough gold for it, but of particular note of the items in stock is the BeastTail. It acts like a compass on the map in the mystic world, showing us the way to the mystic hole every time. If used in a battle, it will tell you if you have had a monster on the opposing team in your possession before. It's worth the money, trust me!
    [​IMG]
    The Bazaar is a 2X3 area, and in the middle-top section are these two gossiping ladies. Nothing we can do with them right now.
    [​IMG]
    This small part of the leaf we're standing on (does that give you an idea of how huge GreatTree is?) is empty, but it'll be larger later. You'll see!
    [​IMG]
    Oh look, a Travelers Gate...that we can't reach. Boo. There is a fortune telling gypsy here, as well as two dudes who want to light their barbecue grill; we'll be back here later!
    [​IMG]
    Nothing here on the middle-bottom portion here either.
    [​IMG]
    This merchant (the guy in green) is a jerk. He won't sell us anything until the postgame.

With all of the current area explored, it's time to train a bit more before F class! But F class itself will be shown in the next episode...?
    [​IMG]
    WILL TERRY MASTER F CLASS?

WHAT MONSTERS WILL LIE BEHIND THE NEXT GATES?

WHY USE A WELL THAT HAS NO WATER IN IT?!

All this and more next time!

6. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    I did another part of this LP fairly recently!

PART SIX - THE "F" IS FOR "FANTASTIC TIMES AHEAD"

So after last episode, I figured we should be prepared for F Class, since it's a bit more of a step-up from G Class. I went out and leveled up Slib, Golm, and Dran a bit more, and then decided to show off Library monster entries for what we have. As a note, even though we have not hatched its egg yet, SkyDragon will show up because we've owned it in some form:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's all we have, and I figured it'd be good to grab more species of monsters. So I went out and grabbed Efan the Picky, Gohi the GoHopper, and Grem the Gremlin. Here are their entries:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that out of the way, we head back to the space behind the Arena and talk to the dude who knows who our final matchup will be.
    [​IMG]
    So that's who it is! At this point, this guy will explain monsters we should watch out for in any of the three matches as well.

We go back around to the receptionist, and she tells us some more info that I didn't remember to tell you guys before: we can skip classes. But why one would do this is beyond me, because that's not 100%-ing the game like I feel a true monster master should do!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before I pay the 10 G fee, I talk with Dran and Golm at the bench from before; Slib has nothing new to say.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yeah ok

We go back and pay the entry fee, then it's time to GET IT ON!
    [​IMG]
    F CLASS ROUND ONE
    SpotSlime X3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This monster master's a bit weird - he uses a full party of SpotSlimes (Mottle Slimes), which know CallHelp, a skill that lets them call for their friends to gang up on a random monster. Think Pokemon's Fury Attack, but with a random target each hit and more effective, and also able to fail. They still go down fairly quick, however, thanks to Dran's FireAir skill.
    F CLASS ROUND TWO
    MudDoll X2
    Almiraj

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second dude is roughly a bit higher difficulty than the last one. His two MudDolls (Mud Mannequins) know mostly dance attack moves normally, but right now these two only know one such move - the annoying OddDance. This simply drains our MP for no cost, making it fairly useful for dealing with spellcasting monsters. Pity it's not on our side! As for the purple Almiraj (Spiked Hare), it knows how to ram itself into our monsters recklessly, doing tons of damage at once, but pretty badly injuring itself in the process.

Since the MudDolls are frail and Almiraj isn't much better, these also go down pretty fast, though Slib takes the brunt of one of Almiraj's ram attacks (I think it's called Berserker or Ramming, I don't recall which one is which...)

At last, time for the doctor at the bottom of the well to fight us!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time for a tougher round!

F CLASS FINAL ROUND
    Skullroo
    MadRaven
    Putrepup
    [​IMG]

This is a bit of a wake-up boss kind of match. First off we have Putrepup (Putrefido), a blue zombified dog with the ability SlowAll, which lowers our party's AGL. Then there's the annoying crow MadRaven (Stark Raven), which knows the HighJump skill (though why it's on a bird, I don't know,because birds just fly and don't jump like that, unless they're flightless. Meh!), which is basically the Pokemon attack Fly. But neither of those two compare to the very-dangerous-at-this-point Skullroo (Guaardvark). Skullroo knows another dance move, the amazingly harsh PaniDance! When it uses it, each of your monsters have a chance to become confused, and in this game, that is NOT a good thing. Side effects include:
    • attacking yourself
    • attacking allies
    • attacking the enemy, but barely missing
    • freezing up in fear, doing nothing
    • charging towards an enemy but tripping
    • PARALYSIS
    That last effect is incredibly dangerous in early Dragon Quest games, because unlike Pokemon, paralyzed monsters can't do ANYTHING. It wears off after battle or if cured with a MoonHerb item, but if all three of them are paralyzed at once, the game counts it as a loss for you, as if they were all knocked out. Nasty stuff! If you're smart and your monsters have high enough INT, they'll usually target Skullroo first, so hit hard and strike true! Or whatever. Anything to not be confused!

As it turns out, the doctor isn't that much of a threat this playthrough, though Slib takes even more of a beating. With that, F Class is cleared!
    [​IMG]
    Outside of the Arena proper, the receptionist lets us know our next destination for Traveler's Gates: the Room of Memories and Bewilder!

Before we tackle those gates, though, I want to show you guys something very special to me! Heading down a floor from the Arena shows us that the mean girl blocking the stairs has moved, and the falling-off-a-ledge dude made it to the bottom!
    [​IMG]
    We head down the stairs that we entered GreatTree from and head to the back room, the place with the shrimp-looking monster hopping in place. And who else would be there, but the old man who Watabou brought us to!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The old man introduces himself as Master Monster Tamer, and welcomes us to his workplace: the Shrine of Starry Night! Here is where we can breed monsters and hatch eggs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly, in this episode of the LP, there's nothing we can do here yet. Here's why:

• First, off, you need a male and a female monster, preferably different species (though some eggs are born only when two of the same species are used). The baby will (usually) be the family of the first monster chosen; this is known as the "pedigree".
    • Second, they must be at or over level 10. Anything lower than that is too young.
    • Third, you must be ready to say goodbye to them, because the parents are returned to the wilderness of the mystic worlds.
    • Finally, disregarding the fact that we're using an emulator and savestates, you must save the game to confirm your choice. Otherwise, it will exit out of the menu. In the actual GameBoy Color version, this means that if you breed a couple and save, they are lost forever (though the baby usually surpasses them!).
    The only step we cannot do now is the second one, as we do not have very many, if any, monsters at or above level 10. Time to train, because breeding is honestly my favorite part of the game! We take our party to the new room in the Chamber of Traveler's Gates:
    [​IMG]
    We will not be fighting the bosses of these gates until we have bred three new monsters! I will be using WarpWings to exit on the floor before the boss! As we enter the Gate of Memories, we're attacked by a new monster almost immediately!
    [​IMG]
    A Catapilla (Killerpiller) blocks our path! This big bug knows a slowing move like the mad doctor's Putrepup, but it's still easy to kill.
    [​IMG]
    Then we have a duo of Dragonkids (Small Fries), which can put us to sleep with SleepAir, and know Dodge, a very annoying skill that may or may not shunt an attack on them off onto another monster, either friend or foe. Meh.
    [​IMG]
    I do find this foreign master, and at this point we could take him on, but I savestated just so I could show you how tough they are. We do not fight him in actuality.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They all have random lines if they're the Soldier variety.
    [​IMG]
    So, uhm...yeah. An Orc, Phoenix, and Shadow, nopenopenope far too strong right now

We do capture this new monster though:
    [​IMG]
    This is FairyRat (mouseflap, according to Dragon Quest 7 for 3DS). It may look like a Bug family member with that bee stinger, but it's actually a Beast. It knows Surround, which engulfs the enemy team in illusions, harshly lowering their accuracy, so I figured I'd go for it. I forgot to feed it meat, however, but it still wanted to come with me!

We name it "Feal", then send it back to Pulio's farm. After some grinding and heading back to GreatTree, our team looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Slib has almost 100 HP, and has finally learned a spell: Firebal!
    [​IMG]
    Golm is now probably the weakest of the three party members, but is still very strong for our purposes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally, Dran has better stats than Golm, and has learned to upgrade FireAir to BlazeAir! Much better!

I take them back, and grab three more monsters, Gohi, Aent, and Grem, because we desperately need level 10 female monsters (though Grem is still a male)!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHAT WILL TERRY START TO BREED IN THE SHRINE?

WHAT WILL THE BOSSES OF THE NEW GATES BE?

WHY DOES MADRAVEN KNOW A JUMPING SKILL WHEN IT COULD JUST FLY?!

Find out next time!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. TwistoFate

TwistoFate Newbie

RePG:
    Profile:
    Extremely entertaining! Keep up the good work:)

8. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    Thanks!

Gonna be a shorter episode this time, because I'm sure you don't want to sit through and watch me train.

Regardless of episode length, it's time for...

PART SEVEN - THE EPIC OF BEOWULF AND "NOT-QUITE-GRENDAL"

At the end of the last episode, I had grabbed three more monsters to level up to level 10 so we could use them for breeding. Here they are after I leveled them up!
    [​IMG]
    With that out of the way, we have to only talk to Master Monster Tamer, who brings up our options of breeding monsters or hatching eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I decide to breed a Devil family monster first, since right now, Devils in the wild are in short supply (for some reason, monsters become harder to tame for most species if you repeatedly try to capture them).
    [​IMG]
    I pair up Grem with Aent...and then my jaw drops at what MMT says the result is!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GRENDAL? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    [​IMG]
    This beastly demon (named Thwarthog in modern games) is quite rare early on, and I've never been able to get one in the early parts of the game! On a side note, it says you need MadDragon to breed it, but sometimes you can use other monsters and the result will be the same; that's just one possible combination. I agree to breed Grem and Aent together.
    [​IMG]
    So apparently, monster weddings take a day to complete. Must be one hell of a party...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yeah no, actually, for a wedding, it's pretty frickin' boring

There is a flash of light, and the next day, the monsters have left an egg! MMT comes and takes it for us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, it's not free to hatch eggs. The more powerful the baby monster is from the get-go, the more expensive it is to hatch the egg. I send it to the farm for now because I only have Gohi with me and if I bred it now, I'd have no monsters with me at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I go back to the farm via the ivy, and then head back down to the Shrine to breed two more monsters. They end up being a Material family SpikyBoy (burr baby) and Dragon family Pteranod (pteronodon).
    [​IMG]
    SpikyBoy is pretty cool. I won't spoil what it is, but if you breed two of them together, you get a completely different monster, one that's appeared in quite a few games.
    [​IMG]
    Pteranod is okay. Good for now, but not great later on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you're wondering what the +1 means, that's basically an indicator of strength. Monsters that have a rich heritage will be more powerful, learn more spells and skills, and have a higher plus amount.

It's time to hatch the eggs! I start with Grendal's.
    [​IMG]
    Wait, it's female? Interesting...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I name her "Xaba", the male SpikyBoy "Kliz", and the female Pteronod "Iquo".
    [​IMG]
    Let's look at their stats!
    [​IMG]
    I'd dare to say that this is the best "First Three from Breeding" I've ever had!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks like Iquo is our most balanced monster right now. She has even higher attack than Xaba, who is holding a scimitar and is clearly the one who works out even though she was clearly just born!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You'll see it no longer says "family" after the icon.
    [​IMG]
    Monsters that have just been born have no spells, unless it's a special egg that only exists in the sequel games.

Finally, the heritages!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's basically all we can do now, so I won't leave with a silly exit. I'll be training them to at least level 6 before we take on the next Gate, so tune in next time!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  9. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    Even a death in the family and the loss of my job won't stop me from toilet papering the temple of the gods continuing this!

PART EIGHT - (NOT) LOST IN THE FOREST MAZE

As you may recall, we now have a team of bred monsters, meaning they inherited a few stat points and spells, as well as having zero WLD when they hatch. From now on, unless we forget to put them in a deep sleep, monsters I use will have no WLD points!

We'll start this chapter with some training of our new baby monsters. Don't get too attached to them, since eventually they will be bred too!

Heading to the Gate of Talisman (Beginner's XP rates are too low), Terry starts to train his monsters while resisting the urge to use the VBA turbo button, which Pikang has done a few times >_>.
    [​IMG]
    This is a stat-raising Seed on the ground. Each one raises a monsters stats by three points (unless it's for HP or MP, those raise the stat by five). Veterans of Dragon Quest games after DQ8 may know these by names like "seed of vitality or "seed of agility", but here they are called things like "LifeAcorn", "MysticNut", and the other stats names with "Seed" at the end. WLD does not have a seed to lower that stat, sadly!
    [​IMG]
    As you might have guessed, the bosses don't come back in each boss room; a Travelers' Gate leading back to GreatTree is present each time you come here though.

Now, onto the next Gates: the Gates of Memories and Bewilder! But that's really not all we can do at this point.

Remember the jester that tells us the lore of each Gate boss? Now there will be a secret Gate we can unlock if we find it and meet certain criteria, usually one per set of regular Gates! Talking to the jester and saying "YES", both times will have ask if you want to "hear more":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the lore for what we're going to come up to next. Can you guess what they're referring to? A hint: one is a common monster that isn't normally a boss, and the other is a famous monster from Dragon Quest 5. The secret is just that - a secret!

By the way, I did find a monster we missed in the Gate of Talisman:
    [​IMG]
    MiniDrak (Komodo) is a dragon family monster that isn't very remarkable, though it does know SandStorm, which lowers accuracy heavily. As you can see, I managed to capture one.

After entering the Gate of Memories, we are promptly attacked!
    [​IMG]
    Nothing new yet, but DragonKid is as annoying as ever with Dodge...
    [​IMG]
    New terrain, the forest. not much else to say, except that some tiles have a slight white line on them that bugs me fiercely.

Eventually, we make it down to the boss room.
    [​IMG]
    Well, isn't this pleasant? Skulls and bones litter the floor. and a large cat-like monster is prowling around the area in front of us. Talking to it does nothing...at first.
    [​IMG]
    Talking to it again does this:
    [​IMG]
    Talking to the monster a third time makes it attack us!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MadCat (great sabrecat) is the boss of the Gate of Memories. Lore-wise, this is actually the Hero's pet from Dragon Quest 5, which he befriended it as a cub and named it Saber. Here, the DQ5 connection is less implied, though, and it's up for grabs to anyone!
    [​IMG]
    MadCat knows two new pretty good skills (as well as LegSweep): VacuSlash (a wind based cutting attack) and SquallHit (which is Pokemon's Quick Attack). In this playthrough it spams VacuSlash, but the most it does is 18 damage to Iquo, which keeps getting healed off by my Herbs. MadCat is not particularly tanky, thankfully, and it goes down a couple of minutes later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you might expect, MadCat gets up and wants to come with us! Sorry, Abel, but Saber is coming with us!
    [​IMG]
    ...except we're apparently supposed to name him Gig, for whatever reason, at least by default. Ehh...could be weirder. In any case, Gig seems to REALLY like Terry...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's not often that a big cat that you just encountered takes a shine to you! Even Watabou is impressed as he flies in from the side of the screen!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, nothing I haven't told the people who do follow this Let's Play, Kingy Dingy...

He dismisses us. Here's the stats I had when I beat MadCat:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Barring the useless Sacrifice on Kliz, not bad. (Sacrifice kills the caster, but does a lot of damage to the enemy team. Not good for experience grinding, obviously!)

Here's Gig's stats and Library entry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Without further ado, we head back to the Chamber of Traveler's Gates and immediately enter the Gate of Bewilder!
    [​IMG]
    Almost immediately a new face pops up. BigRoost (Bantamweight), a giant chicken with arms and the wings on its back, runs up with a DragonKid and starts to fight us. It knows SandStorm, but not much else...

We do manage to capture it, thankfully, which is good, because in the sequel games it holds a secret. If you connect to those games and breed a regular Slime from the DWM2 cartridge with a BigRoost that Terry owns, you get a new Slime species monster that isn't in this game. Sadly, I'm not sure we can do that...I will have to look into VBALink to see if we can eventually do so!
    [​IMG]
    A giant chicken makes me hungry, okay?
    [​IMG]
    This is the overworld icon for a LoveWater, which heals about 70-90 HP, more than a basic Herb. These will gradually replace Herbs on the ground the farther we go in the game, but only in later Gates.
    [​IMG]
    AHHHH! ZOMBIE ATTACK! Even though we aren't able to catch them this time, groups of wild Horks can appear now.
    [​IMG]
    Two new monsters from this gate! EvilSeed (name unchanged in modern games as far as I know) and a Demonite (Imp) are here in Bewilder. EvilSeed is quite dangerous, since it can use Paralyze, a physical attack that, as I've said before, can make your life Hell if the status connects (as a note, it doesn't know this skill just yet, but does know CleanCut, which does more damage to Material family monsters) Demonite, on the other hand, is quite weak, since it knows the better-than-Blaze Blazemore, but every time it tries to cast the spell it fails from lack of MP; it's little more than comic relief at this point. I do manage to catch one of each (I got EvilSeed from this battle).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's a meme from my friend Joshua that "omigawsh ye killed Bobo!", so I immortalized it here, with a slight name change.
    [​IMG]
    On the last floor of this Gate, right before the boss floor, a SkyBell is lying on the ground near the Mystic Hole. This cures that awful status "confusion", but it breaks after each use, so having multiple on hand is pretty handy.

We head down to the Gate of Bewilder's boss room!
    [​IMG]
    Terry appears in the wooded area known only as the Forest Maze, with several stumps (and Stubsucks blending in with them) are present. A giant tree with a grinning face is in the very back.

Forest Maze? You mean...

yeah, that probably wasn't necessary, but who cares, it's an amazing song

Reading the signpost gives us a hint on how to proceed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allow me to demonstrate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From where we're headed, it looks like going up will allow us to talk to Mr. Tree, right? Wrong!
    [​IMG]
    The Stubsuck in the alcove blocks us off. Talking to it after that initiates a battle...with some really weird choice words beforehand?
    [​IMG]
    I don't get it.
    [​IMG]
    It's a regular Stubsuck, but with more HP and ATK. Thrilling. Beating it won't make it move, though, and talking to it doesn't work either after you fight it.
    [​IMG]
    So as it turns out, the shortest way isn't the only longest way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Stubsuck on the top left, however, will move out of the way, probably on accident. It is a tree stump, after all, can't be the brightest thing ever...
    [​IMG]
    Team ready? Yup!
    [​IMG]
    Let's go talk to them the tree with a face!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hide yo' kites, Charlie Brown, 'cause this tree starts to attack US!
    [​IMG]
    Not a very creative species name, but FaceTree (treeface or treevil, depending on how strong it is on DQ8) is our boss for this floor. Its signature abilty is Curse. This might make you miss a turn, or lose a bit of HP, but the most common side effect is losing MP. In fact, it's like poison on the overworld, but for MP drain instead. Still, in this Let's Play, FaceTree only uses basic attacks. Weird, right?
    [​IMG]
    Timberrrrrrrr!
    [​IMG]
    Impressed by our strength, FaceTree joins us!
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, the suggested nickname is even less inspired than its own species name...
    [​IMG]
    Just like Gig, I sent Face back to the farm. At this point, boss monsters are kinda weak on our team, since we have unlocked breeding by now, which of course means stronger monsters each time, and that makes bosses not really worth using at all (don't tell that to ten-year-old me though!).
    [​IMG]
    Watabou then flies in from who-knows-where.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yeah no shit, it was nine steps away from where I entered here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He teleports us back to GreatTree.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the king dismisses us, I decide to prepare for the first secret gate! Before I show you where it is, let's look at the four new monster entries from the Library!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll be doing the secret Gate next time! Here, have a teaser image!
    [​IMG]
    WHERE IS THE SECRET GATE?

WHAT BOSS IS AT THE END?

"SQUEAKING SQUEAKING"?!

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON NOT-DRAGON BALL Z!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  10. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    Time for another part of the LP!

PART NINE - GATE UNDER THE GRILL

If you guessed that the teaser image I posted had the Gate on the floating island as our first secret Gate, that's not a bad guess. Unfortunately, it's an incorrect guess, regardless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice grammar

As we approach the grill and the two guys near it, Terry can hear one of them grumbling that he can't seem to light a fire very well on it. The other one is just hungry.
    [​IMG]
    He then asks if we have a monster with a fire-based skill, thinking that might work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Xaba and Iquo both know fire spells, but I tell him no simply because I'm not giving this guy my bred monsters. Instead, a better idea is to use Slib (who learns Firebal at level 10 or so), or Dran, who has two fire skills from the start. Since I don't want him taking Xaba or Iquo, I go back and put them in Pulio's care, then grab Slib.
    [​IMG]
    Kliz does not know a fire skill, and the dude takes whatever he can as long as it has a fire spell, but he always takes the first one in your party, from left to right. That means If I had left Xaba in the party, he would have taken her instead! And to clarify, he doesn't give the monster back. So that's bad.

We take Slib back to the dude and he takes the Slime off our hands. At least he gets to retire his career here in GreatTree!
    [​IMG]
    Prepare yourself, grammar Nazis out there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am convinced that someone was too drunk to proofread that. Regardless, the dude thanks us, and starts to light the grill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The grill vanishes somehow, presumably exploding, and a Travelers Gate can be seen where it was!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The other guy isn't quite as happy at his friend's discovery, presumably because he's still hungry.
    [​IMG]
    Now, we could rush gung-ho into the Gate, but I really want to breed some more powerful monsters. So we head down to Floor 4 and start to look through some parent combinations. I soon find two I like: Yeti and SlimeNite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I name the Yeti "Yeta" and the SlimeNite "Carf". Here's their Library entries:
    [​IMG]
    Yeti (powie yowie) is pretty good for someone in F-class. Not the best, no, but still good. It tends to have higher HP, so that's a thing.
    [​IMG],
    As a staple of the Dragon Quest series, SlimeNite (slime knight) is pretty popular. It's been retconned that the knight is a part of the slime; in the only Rocket Slime game to come stateside, it was mentioned that the knight is actually a toy for slimes. It's definitely alive, however, and more poweful than your average blue ooze.

Now, these two new monsters are all well and good, but what about the third monster? Well, remember how I said sometimes breeding two of the same monster leads to a different monster being born? Kliz the SpikyBoy is one of those monsters, so I think it's high time we got another SpikyBoy! We do have a Material family monster for the pedigree (Mivo the Goopi) and a Bug family monster that will usually result in a SpikyBoy egg (Armi the ArmyAnt), but Mivo isn't high enough of a level, so I grab him with the two new monsters and go to the Gate of Bewilder to train all three!
    [​IMG]
    As we train Mivo to level 10 and the other two to at least 6, we find a valuable item: a magic staff. This is a monster attack in item form (the one in the screenshot is a WindStaff), and there are several:

MistStaff: same as StopSpell
    WindStaff: same as WindBeast
    LavaStaff: same as BlazeAir
    BoltStaff: same as Bolt
    SnowStaff: same as SnowStorm
    FireStaff: same as BlazeMost
    WarpStaff: the exception to the rule. When used, it takes you directly to that floor's mystic hole. Pretty useful!

However, never use a staff on a monster you want: they are the opposite of meat treats, and will make wild monsters like you less! For that reason, I usually just sell them at shops in the mystic world, since those offer better prices than GreatTree's shops. FireStaves go for 5000G!

Also, we managed to catch a SpotSlime:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure why I took this screenshot, other than that FaceTree being gone is kinda eerie, as are the StubSucks that seem to have turned back into dead stumps...

Now we have Mivo the Goopi at level 10, so we could make a new SpikyBoy! However, I figured it's as good a time as any to show you a very important part of breeding. I'm sure some of you who are reading this but haven't played a Monsters subseries game are wondering "What if the gender of the baby you're using is incorrect, or you don't want to risk hatching the wrong gender?". A valid question, but not one without an answer!
    [​IMG]
    Back in GreatTree, on Floor 4 is an itty-bitty side area with a small house bored into the tree. A female bard can be found here; meet the Egg Evaluator!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So, to recap, she can not only tell you what the general strength of the the egg's baby is, but find out and change its gender! Really handy, since some monsters are always born male or female unless you bless it! Man, if only Pokemon had services like this...
    [​IMG]
    Since our immediate goal is to breed two SpikyBoys together, I ignore SkyDragon's egg for now. EVAL costs a flat 20G every time, but BLESS can be VERY expensive, at a minimum of 200G!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do you get the feeling that this lady is crazy? Honestly, I think it's kinda both endearing and creepy that she talks to eggs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Pretty fast" usually means 5 experience points to level 2, making it the second-fastest grower. Other things the evaluator says can tell you how many spells the baby monster will learn, or how its general stats are. The last thing she'll mention is always the gender though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So we do not have to bless this one, which is good! Also, she panics when we get back to her menu, though I forgot to screenshot it here. Apparently, she likes Terry in "that" way...

Anyway, we go down to the Shrine of Starry Night, and hatch the SpikyBoy egg!
    [​IMG]
    Before we train it, I want to show you some odd areas on Floor 4 we ignored before. The first house has a strange man acting quite...possessive...of his new girlfriend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Betty must be a keeper, then...he doesn't move. Ever.
    There is more to Betty than meets the eye...
    [​IMG]
    The sarcastic and mean girl on Floor 4 lives here, but her parents and grandfather are here on this screen instead. The mother and father love their little girl (who has a name, but it isn't revealed until postgame), while the old man is just a jerk. See that Traveler's Gate?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He'll move to where you do so you can't get past him. Jerk.

Postgame, the old man will soften up, but will need more persuasion than just asking him...

As for the rest of the house, the pots are empty, with one scaring Terry a bit, since he sees his reflection on the water in it. The dresser contains a TinyMedal!

After grabbing a WarpWing (and buying a BeastTail for compass usage!), I take my team into the gate, ready to train Banp up to level 10 before fighting the boss!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Secret Gate floors don't always follow this formula, but they usually have smaller four-screen maps in the shape of a ring, spawn more foreign monster masters, and bring you fairly close to the mystic hole on each floor, making them great for quick training! You can see the BeastTail in action in the corner!
    [​IMG]
    Another new monster: a Crestpent (crested viper) duo and a SpotSlime attack us. Crestpents can use PoisonHit, which as you might have guessed poisons a monster while doing normal damage. The first one actually manages to poison Carf, but Yeta has learned Antidote now, so it's cool. I managed to capture one!
    [​IMG]
    I just love my gibberish names.
    [​IMG]
    The maps can be even smaller than this, but does this give you an idea of how tiny they can be in secret Gates? That's all one floor!
    [​IMG]
    Oh boy, terrain hazards. Walking on poison bog causes each monster to take 2 HP of damage. Yes, they can die that way, so be careful! Using the useful spell StepGuard will make you immune to them for that floor, though!
    [​IMG]
    A Catapilla and a new monster: BeanMan (beanie meanie). They aren't really much, but they do know TwinHits, which doubles a monster's attack power for basic attacks and physical skills. Very dangerous if you're low on health!
    [​IMG]
    Hmmm...might as well take on this bard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This bard has a Droll (drohl drone), a Grizzly (Ursa Major), and Wyvern (Chimera). Turns out at this point, beating them isn't very hard, so I do so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeta and Carf's MP go up by 20 points, and Banp's HP goes up by the same amount. Nice!
    [​IMG]
    Caught a BeanMan soon after.

We throw a WarpWing up and head back to breed Banp, now that she's level 10! Enter BombCrag (rockbomb)!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Boom is actually kinda strong defensively, as I'll show you now with the rest of my team.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A lot of spells do help,I guess.
    [​IMG]
    Increase is the upgraded form of Upper, which raises Defence. It's quite valuable, since whereas Upper only targets one party member, Increase targets everyone!
    [​IMG]
    Nothing, since it's a baby...
    The heritage screens are glitched because I hit the screenshot button too early (so it shows one monster but is another one), so I'll just mention them verbally.

*Yeta = Gig + Iquo
    *Carf = Hale + Xaba
    *Boom = Kliz + Banp

Let's go train Boom!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You get these kinds of maps quite often in secret Gates.
    [​IMG]
    An interesting monster pops up on the last floor! 1Eyeclown (yes, with the number its name, now known as jinxster) is a cycloptic Devil-family monster which, like Demonite, has the medium-level spell Blazemore. Unlike Demonite, however, it does have the MP to cast it, so that means it can bring the pain! It's quite frail defensively however, and once it goes down I manage to convince it to come with us!
    [​IMG]
    Also caught a Hork!
    [​IMG]
    ...which I named Hork. I'm not great with short names...
    [​IMG]
    On the boss floor, Terry finds himself in a ruined town, with harmless poison bog and a silent monster that looks mighty familiar lurking nearby. You can interact with the counters to get some ghostly text to appear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, talking with the monster irritates him, and he attacks without a word!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time to fight another wake-up boss! Even though the king uses the phrases he says for beating the Gates of Villager and Talisman (which have much easier bosses), the Devil-family MadKnight (Knight aberrant) is no joke. He hits very hard at this point, and knows the deadly Massacre, which can hit our monster VERY hard, usually enough to kill one in one blow. Thankfully, Massacre can target the user's allies and even itself. And since MadKnight here has no other allies, he can only target himself if he doesn't hit us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's usually not enough to kill him, but it does some good damage! Of course, you can't rely on that alone, so Yeta's SleepAll and Carf's Increase help a lot!
    [​IMG]
    Eventually, he goes down like the other bosses!
    [​IMG]
    And he comes with us!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pash is an interesting name...here's his stats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not much for words, are you, buddy? Watabou eventually flies in, landing on the wall near us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He takes us back to the King.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's our team's stats for taking on the next Arena Class!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Have some monster entries, courtesy of the Library!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heading back to the Arena reveals that our friend Teto has advanced to E class while we were gone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He's pretty full of himself. We'll fix that in a bit...
    [​IMG]
    Here's the restaurant. I forgot to screenshot it earlier.
    [​IMG]
    The MadMirror has a new "pun" for us now. I still don't get it. The "know-it-all dude" has some new advice for us, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully, we do! Let's see what our monsters have to say for themselves!
    [​IMG]
    I beg to differ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, I don't see how, you're covered in fur...
    [​IMG]
    You're a knight. Medieval knights were crazy as crap, so this does not surprise me.

WILL TERRY BEAT E CLASS?

HOW HARD COULD IT BE?

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GRILL FROM BEFORE?

Stuff happens next time, so tune in!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  11. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    Ready for more? No? Too bad, I recorded more!

PART TEN - DON'T PLAY ANY SLOT MACHINES
    [​IMG]

It's time to take on E Class! As you might expect, it's a step up from F Class, but it's nothing we can't handle.

[​IMG]

E CLASS ROUND ONE
    Poisongon
    TreeSlime
    Crestpent
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From now on, most (but not all) Arena teams will have a theme, with this one being crested monsters. I've mentioned Crestpent before, but TreeSlime (tree slime) and Poisongon (Killer gila) are new to this playthrough. Like Crestpent, Poisongon can use PoisonHit, but it fails to poison us before it falls to our monsters. TreeSlime knows the spell Sap, which lowers one of our monster's defense scores. It doesn't manage to get any of those off, either, though.
    E CLASS ROUND TWO
    FairyDrak
    Dragon
    DrakSlime

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DrakSlime (Drake slime) and FairyDrak (Damselfly) are two new members of this dragon-themed team. DrakSlime can inhale and power up its BlazeAir, while FairyDrak can use Surround, which, as I've mentioned before, lowers our accuracy by engulfing our monsters vision in illusions, making it functionally identical to SandStorm. The Dragon in the middle is a bit stronger than the one we got ourselves, but it's still fairly weak.

Alright, here comes that arrogant dude Teto...
    [​IMG]

E CLASS FINAL ROUND
    Snaily X2
    ArmorPede

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's put him in his place!

[​IMG]
    When I was young, this was a hurdle I had trouble overcoming - I would use only boss monsters in my team, and only breed for fun. I would never breed said boss monsters, either, so you can see why that would have hurt me in this fight against the two Snaily (shell slime) and the lone ArmorPede (sentripede).
    [​IMG]
    ArmorPede can jump on your monsters to damage them (though it hurts the bug as well) and the Snailys can use CallHelp (rather effectively) and IceBolt. They hit decently hard (okay, ArmorPede does like 1 damage with its Berserker attack...), but in this playthrough and every other playthrough I've done since I discovered the value of breeding, they are pathetically easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pfft, "Master" Teto? Go back to training, buddy, you've got a long way to go before you're like me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The receptionist then informs us that we opened a new room in the Chamber: the Gates of Peace and Bravery! Nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's check on Teto - he's still there in the waiting room.

[​IMG]

Turns out, us beating him has humbled him, and he makes us an offer we really shouldn't refuse!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's right, folks - you can breed your monsters with an NPC's monsters, too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He genuinely seems to have reformed his attitude. We say yes, and have to pick one monster to be the pedigree, gender not mattering here. Eventually I choose Spoz, the SpotSlime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing about NPC breeding is that you get no preview on what the baby monster will be. For some people, like me, that okay, because I have most of the breeding combos down pat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This works for me. I start the ceremony (and forget to take a screenshot).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As it turns out, the result was a BoxSlime (box slime).

[​IMG]
    This orange cuboid slime is quite interesting to me. Breeding it with a material family monster leads to quite a strong monster being born...though for now we'll leave the egg as-is.

We've become quite the popular figure around the Arena, as evidenced by this dude:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Talking with BeBe the Golem's owner leads to this rousing conversation, again about Japanese words.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talking with BeBe after this shows she is still incredulous about learning this stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A lot of stuff has changed, and not just in the Arena! For now, we'll be looking just at around the Arena, though. For example, the soldier at the counter inside the restaurant is slightly drunk and makes a slightly bizarre offer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He then quickly corrects himself. Good thing too, that was creepy...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing is about NPC breeding is that if you progress the plot but don't accept the offer beforehand, they'll stop asking about it. So take their offers, you may never get them again if you forget...

I choose Seno, our EvilSeed.
    [​IMG]
    The result after the animation plays, as I find out in a bit, is a FloraMan (budding sorcerer).
    [​IMG]
    Breeding a Plant with a Beast makes this humanoid creature come into existence. I find them creepy, but they're useful in their own way, as they are competent with magic. Like the BoxSlime egg, though, we'll be leaving it alone until the next chapter.

The crazy MadMirror has some more nonsense for us, too.
    [​IMG]

For some reason, I went out to the gate of Talisman and caught a Spooky; maybe it was because our only Zombie is Hork...

[​IMG]

o look, a gost

Also, while in the first secret Gate, I found a wandering priest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "The" destiny...why did I never notice that?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let's see here...a FireWeed (flame flower), ArmyCrab (crabid), and Phoenix (firebird). All the modern names make sense, other than firebird, because that is definitely a phoenix.

The priest's monsters are nothing compared to ours, and he heals us before warping out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let's go to the Room of Peace and Bravery. It's on this side of the first floor.
    [​IMG]
    Peace is on the left, Bravery is on the right. We'll be doing Peace first. Also, here's the lore for the gates, including another secret gate!

[​IMG]
    Let's goooooo!

No new terrain this time, but there are definitely new monsters!
    [​IMG]

Like this CoilBird (name unchanged other than the B being lowercase)! Implied to be a cuckoo clock bird with a soul in the second DWM, it knows how to cure confusion with the spell DeChaos. Unfortunately we don't catch one just yet, since it fails to be impressed after we beat it...
    [​IMG]
    Wild Almiraj can appear here, but the real monster I'm interested in is BoneSlave (marrow escapee). This skeletal slave knows the games's first electrical move of BoltSlash, which does kinda hurt. We manage to catch this one, which is good as you might see later on; it's for finding a secret in GreatTree!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very nice! A treasure room! These hold six to eight chests with random items, but usually the items are scaled to where you are, so early on one can expect Herbs and BeefJerkies. TinyMedals appear here too, thankfully, and when we were in MadKnight's Gate we found two more of the medals, along with the one from this room, so we're closer to the Medal Man's first reward!

Finally, down to the boss's room! Which...doesn't look a thing like a boss room.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah. A casino. A few humans are here, but there's also a slime-like monster with a mohawk, playing at one of the slot machines. Talking with the bunnygirls reveals an important fact about this place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, we won't be hitting it rich here.
    [​IMG]
    Talking with the manager reveals that the lone customer is...a bit miffed about something.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Talking with the monster makes it show a bit of aggression, but not towards us; it's angry at the slot machine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Talk about a sore loser! He doesn't fight us at all, though, so what we want to do is make him jealous! Unorthodox, I know, but it's what the game makes us do. So let's play some slots!
    [​IMG]
    Starting with the upper-left machine...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not bad! As a note, trying to play the same slot machine again that you already played displays a humorous message for each one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, frick. Let's try the upper right machine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you try to play this one again, the machine lever goes through a sudden oxidization.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Terry must have both Lady Luck and whatever the name of personified misfortune is smiling down on him today...

Onto the lower left machine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    what the actual crap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHAT THE ACTUAL CRAP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember, if a slot machine cheats you out of your money, try and beat it up beyond repair!
    [​IMG]
    Yeah...really. The final machine we must approach from the back, because the monster won't move.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :$$$::$$$::$$$::$$$:AWWW YEAH WE HIT THE JACKPOT!!!!!11:$$$::$$$::$$$::$$$:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, the machine is not only broken, but also broke now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What say we share our success stories with Mr. Anger Issues over here?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He then attacks us out of rage!

[​IMG]

This is FangSlime (wild slime), which, while is has no visible fangs, does have a wild mohawk and claws! He also knows ChargeUP and CallHelp, as well as WarCry, which can stun each of our allies, making them miss a turn. FangSlime does have really high attack power and speed, and almost manages to kill Yeta but we soon finish him off, thanks to constant attacking and Carf's Increase spell (and savestates!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He then gets up and joins us! He's okay if you use only bosses, but there's no reason you should be using only boss monsters when you have breeding...
    [​IMG]
    The default name is almost as bad as FaceTree's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fang seems to have calmed down now, and concedes that he just had bad luck!
    [​IMG]
    He then does something some of you probably saw coming.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, I guess that's one way to achieve a peaceful resolution. Good ol' Watabou flies in, too, landing on the counter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WELL THEN
    That marks the end of this episode! Here's the Library entries for what we caught!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHAT DOES THE GATE OF BRAVERY HOLD BEHIND IT?

WHAT ABOUT THE SECOND SECRET GATE?

WHY DOES THE MONSTER CASINO HAVE SUCH IFFY SLOT MACHINES?!

Stuff!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  12. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    I had this part done in early August, but I kept forgetting to upload the pics, or getting distracted when did try to do so...in any case:

PART ELEVEN - THE KING IS A LIAR

So now we've beaten FangSlime, and have the Gate of Bravery and second secret Gate left before we take on D Class. I decided to check on stuff we missed before. That includes the Queen of GreatTree's request system, as well as her guest of choice this time: Master Mick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decide to talk to the Queen first. She asks to see a monster known as WingSlime (the requests are always the same monsters in the same order).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mick is a lot less kind to us, being more interested in staying famous but out-of-sight from his fans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He doesn't seem interested in talking to us, but from my experience we need to keep pestering him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And again...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more time...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There we go! Turns out that most NPC's you can breed monsters with have a "best result" monster that you get when it's a very specific combo! And as it turns out, LizardMan, when bred with a Devil family monster, is one of them (Teto's IceMan is one too, but we didn't have the LavaMan needed for the best result).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We'll use Bopo, our Demonite! I would get another Demonite to breed with Bopo since that also makes a new monster like two SpikyBoys do, but like I've said, if you caught a monster species recently, specimens of the same species become harder to capture.
    [​IMG]

The monsters leave us an egg, which I will reveal soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Geez, what an arrogant pile of crap he is...he's got balls saying that, so I'll give him that, but you know what they say - "the bigger the balls, the harder they fall".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeahhh, I don't think he's very sincere...

So, that best result we got is a baby Lionex (Hyperanemon), a very powerful Devil family monster which makes an excellent spellcaster!
    [​IMG]
    I went ahead and hatched our BoxSlime and FloraMan eggs with Lionex's, naming them Cube, Tuuk, and Lang, respectively.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I went ahead and bred Carf (SlimeNite) and Yeta (Yeti) together, and surprisingly got Unicorn (Ewwnicorn) as a result! This is one of the best healers in the game! Won't use it yet, since I have three monsters at level 1 to train first, but good to fall back on if we need a better healer!
    [​IMG]
    Time to train! At this point, baby monsters are powerful enough at birth to be able to fight slightly harder monsters, so I take them to the first secret Gate. After a few levels, we find a female soldier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to take a screenie of her team, sadly. She does give us a nice prize though, other than the expected WarpWing!
    [​IMG]
    This bottle of magical dew heals all three monsters to full health. It's normally an endgame item, but you can receive it earlier, like here!
    [​IMG]
    These wizards don't show up very often, but when they do, it's always nice, since they warp you to the last floor of the Gate you're in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I beat him. XD Forgot to screenshot the enemy team again, though...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's good that he teleported me there, because Tuuk was getting low on health.

Let's finish the Gate of Bravery!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FloraMan (FloraMen?) can show up now in the wild. They know an upgraded version of Firebal called Firebane, which can do quite a bit of damage to a group of monsters, but are very frail otherwise.
    [​IMG]
    This is a unique floor type that from now on we have a chance of getting - a maze. Now, you might think it's a bit annoying to go through these with monsters constantly attacking you, but they're actually really easy. Why? Well...it's probably a limitation on the GameBoy's hardware, but the layout is always the same for each of the colors in the maze, meaning the solution is always the same depending on the floor and wall's colors. That means this green-and-blue one here will have the mystic hole in the bottom-left corner - watch!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See?
    [​IMG]
    On the way there, more new monsters show up, including the Bug-family GiantWorm (wiggly). They're nothing special in this game, though one of their largest brethren is a famous monster from DQM Joker 2 - the Wormonger. These are much weaker than that beast though, and I find worms disgusting and vile in real life, so I never had much of a reason to use one...
    [​IMG]
    Another new species is the SabreMan (erazor blade). They know a few cutting attacks, but are otherwise taken out rather easily.
    [​IMG]
    We soon find the final hole.
    [​IMG]
    Terry finds himself in a strange dungeon, with a large pit separating the two rooms. It seems like there's no way across, but the solution of getting there is simple - it's an invisible floor. Trying to move just anywhere on the floor might result in falling off, but if we do it's ok - Terry just falls in from above to try again.

The solution is as follows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As soon as he steps onto the other side, a strange swordsman comes up from behind him and simply leaps over the gap, not bothering with the invisible floor. He talks to the boss of the gate, who promptly shakes his head no at whatever question was asked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He then jumps back over the gap and leaves. Talking to the monster he just conversed with has it say a familiar quote and then attack us!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remember how I said the doctor from the bottom of GreatTree's well was a wake-up boss? Remember how I said MadKnight was one too? They are pathetic compared to BigEye (cross eye), a cycloptic bear-ogre thingy with paws strong enough to take off half of Tuuk's health, an IceAir breath attack that can bring the pain, and SnowStorm, the ultimate ice spell. Believe me, even with your defense raised and BigEye under the effects of StopSpell and lowered accuracy, he can still use IceAir, and that hurts (there is a way to stop breath attacks, but no one has that skill). And since I foolishly had only one Herb going in, I admittedly had to rely on savestates to beat BigEye.

Eventually...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look at everyone's health. LOOK AT IT. OUCH.

Thankfully, he may be difficult, but he is not impossible!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kind of a lame way to name the Traveller's Gate, huh? Either way, Watabou flies in and lands on a section of invisible floor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hang on, though...did you guys catch something weird? Let's see how many of you are paying attention.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's right folks - BigEye didn't come with us! Turns out the majority of bosses are ones that do not come with you. The King, however, starts to spout the biggest pile of poo of a lie I've ever heard in a GameBoy game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out, there ARE bosses that come with you if you bribe them - at least four! The King is either unaware of this fact, or he's just a freaking liar. MEH.

Oh, yeah, after I beat BigEye, I bred a new monster: RotRaven (name currently un-modernized in English)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's about all I had recorded. We'll tackle the second secret gate next time, and maybe even D Class, so stay tuned!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    So it's been a while...and I kinda screwed up. I started taking screenshots a few months ago for the next chapter of this LP, and then I took a break. Then I started up again recently...and overwrote some of my previous screenshots accidentally (with no way of undoing it without starting over on the entire LP!). Whoops! That means I'll have to sum up what goes on for the first few screenshots that got overwritten. I did get a lower amount of screenies, but thankfully it's enough, so it's time for...

PART TWELVE - THE WEAKEST GIANT
    It's time to check out the well on Floor 3 of GreatTree again! This is the only part I lost in screenshots, so read carefully!

The professor acknowledges that we are superior to him in strength, and asks a favor of us. He is conducting experiments about reviving dead monsters, and asks for a monster with a skill embodying thunder or electricity. If we bring him one, he promises that his assistant is ours. Yes, the old lady who lives with him is our "reward".

Notice how I put that in quotes.

A bit odd, considering that Terry has no need for her, but it's a fair enough trade off, especially sine Capo the BoneSlave has BoltSlash. We go and get him and bring him back to the professor. Cue remaining screenshots!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The assistant is not happy about this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can simply climb up the rope to the next screen and come immediately back down, but I needed a third monster, so I grabbed my third current team mate and climbed back down...and the results are immediately apparent!
    [​IMG]

The cauldron is gone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Failed miserably" is putting it lightly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, that is there, isn't it? Talking with the assistant shows that you cannot trust science 100% of the time...or at least angry little old ladies...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's...um...
    [​IMG]
    you snarky little frick, I like what you did B)

In any case, it's time for Secret Gate 2!
    [​IMG]

Here we gooooooooooooooo!
    [​IMG]
    There are loads of new terrian types in these newer gates, this one being called the dry forest. At least, that's what I call it...
    [​IMG]
    And this one I call the mountain.

And yeah, that's a treasure chest there. They can show up now outside of treasure rooms in the mystic world, and usually contain nicer items than normal...though sometimes they're a monster in disguise! More on that later, though!
    [​IMG]
    Ah, I should explain the monster on the right in this foreign master's party, but they're wild here, so I will later. The one on the left is a monster you cannot find in the mystic world - LavaMan (magmalice). You can find MadSpirit (soulspawn) but only later on...
    [​IMG]
    Did I mention that the skill Dodge is annoying? Because these GiantSlug (maulusc) monsters have it, and it's really stupid having your allies accidentally hit their friends...other than that, though, they're pretty unremarkable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More foreign masters...they are exceptionally easy now with our team's strength!
    [​IMG]
    Lovewaters are pretty common now. If you've forgotten, they're a better Herb.
    [​IMG]
    This master had some things I wanted to catch - a Phoenix (firebird) on the left, and a Blizzardy (snowbird) on the right. Bred together, they make an extremely strong monster! Sadly, the meat I used didn't entice either any of his monsters...
    [​IMG]
    A duo of CurseLamps (malevolamps) are alright, but the actually-scary thing is the KingCobra (Cobra king) in the middle. Specimens owned by a foreign master know Beat, which newer DQ fans might know as the instant-death spell "Whack". If it hits, it will instantly kill one enemy it's used on, so I always target the KingCobra first! Thankfully they're kinda frail...
    [​IMG]
    More new terrain...I call this one the crag.
    [​IMG]

OK, now seems like a better time to explain the Slime recolor in the middle of this group. This is a Metaly (metal slime). They are part of a sub-group of Slime family monsters known as the metal slimes. They have a number of characteristics that make them highly desirable:
    • First off, they have amazingly high defense and agility - usually in this Gate it's in the 200s-300s! This means that you'll whiff on most physical attacks (unless you're absurdly strong, then they're piss-easy), and if you do hit...it only usually does one damage point. The trade off? ABYSMALLY low HP - under 10 in your party at first!
    • Second, they like to run away very often. The reason for this odd behavior is simple - if you KO one, you get a crapton of experience points! Think Paper Mario's Amazee Dayzees, or a souped-up Audino from any Pokemon game they're in. The best part is that the most powerful of the sub-group of metal slimes give even more EXP!
    • Third, spells and skills of (almost) any kind do not affect metal slimes! Think your Explodet spell will do massive damage to Metaly? Well, too bad. It does nothin'. This goes for status ailments, too! There is one spell that does work on them, but it's the most powerful spell in the game so we won't count that...
    • Finally, they are very hard to capture. Square Enix likes to portray metal slimes as an endangered species of monster, and although they aren't considered such in this game, they are still hard to capture - most meat treats you give them won't tame them enough. You will need a Sirloin for these!
    Sadly, I wasn't able to capture this one. They're pretty rare, too, so you have to be ready when you see it and have meat on hand if you want one!

[​IMG]
    Moving right along, a pair of GiantWorms and a lone Bullbird (bullfinch) attack. The worms aren't terribly strong, but Bullbird is - at least, physically it is. It knows skills similar to Almiraj's, in that they're ramming skills that can also hurt the user, so it's not that bad, really.

Finally, after 11 or so floors, we reach the boss floor!
    [​IMG]
    Terry finds himself in a rocky area, with a large monster right behind him. Spoiler alert, though - you can't reach him from here, since the floor is weak and certain tiles will give way, dropping you into a pit! It's like BigEye's area, though, and you'll just fall into the starting point again.

Moving forward a bit makes Warubou appear, lovely. Thankfully, as he approaches us, he makes the floor crack from under him. I think he was going after the boss, but then he saw us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    adios, you stupid loser =)

The following screenshots were supposed to have a path to the boss, but they refused to upload, so I'm skipping to the boss, who seems very...hungry.
    [​IMG]
    I think...he's referring to us.
    [​IMG]
    Some of you DQ fans might recognize this one, but for those of you that do not, this is Gigantes, a one-eyed giant with a hulking club and ridiculous strength. In games like DQ8, it is absurdly strong physically (though it cannot use magic). It's quite an iconic monster, really (though to this day I still don't know how to properly pronounce its name...)!

However, forget any preconceived notions that you may have about it here, because this one is a weakling...because I raised my defense so high with two or three casts of Increase that it could only do one damage point per hit. Not only that, but most gigantes are health sponges, soaking up hits like crazy. This one...
    [​IMG]
    ...isn't. Laaaaaaaame.

At least he didn't do squat to our team, though after the battle he's still complaining about his hunger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Watabou flies in and lands on our starting point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I...I didn't really...I have the path memorized...and yep, Gigantes did not come with us. Shame, really.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean, y'know...he's not wrong...

That's about all I had this time. I'll try to be more careful with the screenshots in the future. Next time, D class awaits us!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. Pikang

Top Poster Of Month

RePG:
    Profile:
    Finally, after an early return from Florida, I am able to continue this! The screenshots were going to be hosted on Flickr instead of Imgur, since the latter didn't want to upload all of these images at once...but that didn't want to give me the proper format for the "img" tags, so I said "screw it" and uploaded all 181 screenshots ONE AT A TIME. Ugh...

PART THIRTEEN - THE "D" IS FOR "DON'T MAKE FUN OF WARUBOU'S NAME"

As you might remember, we haven't beaten D Class. Let's fix that, and put that asshat Mick in his place! Better be prepared for it though, so we ask the dude who can reveal teams for us what our foe's team is like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No duh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, seeing as how we already had fought a MadCat, it seems we have nothing really to learn from this dude.

Just for lulz, though, I spoke with my monsters at that one table:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a demon that likes violently ripping things apart in DQ5, you sure are nervous.

The other two are just...asleep.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About as exciting as you'd think, really. Let's forget any of that happened and go to the registration desk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

D CLASS ROUND ONE
    Saccer
    Florajay
    MadPlant
    [​IMG]

These plant-themed monsters (that aren't all plants) are pretty easy. Saccer (known as Minon in Dragon Warrior Monsters 3, and then as Bagworm currently) likes to raise its teams' defensive stats a lot, but usually doesn't last very long. Florajay (kingfisher, IIRC...have I mentioned this before?) seems to be the main attacker every time I play this class. MadPlant (mental pitcher) is probably the weakest, not much to say there.

D CLASS ROUND TWO
    MedusaEye X2
    MadGopher

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This team doesn't appear to have a theme, other than being very blue. MedusaEye (Madusa) is a very interesting monster, but doesn't bring much to the table here. Neither does MadGopher (mad mole) though it's quite strong under circumstances that aren't available in this game, but are in other games (namely the tension system).

FINALLY! Time to beat up Mick!

D CLASS FINAL ROUND
    RogueNite
    MadCat X2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mick struts in, probably as extravagantly as he acts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then we fight!

[​IMG]
    No need to discuss MadCat - what we should be worried about is Mick's RogueNite (restless armor). This animated armor is super annoying in most any game it appears in; in Dragon Quest 3, for example, it can call allies that heal it, and it does so endlessly. It can't do that here, but I'm pretty sure this one knows the EvilSlash skill, which is a very hit-or miss sword attack...literally! Most of the time EvilSlash misses, but if it does hit, it deals critical damage automatically. If you know the skill known as Hatchet Man in modern Dragon Quest games...this is that skill. So we should be mindful of Mick's RogueNite!

Or should we? As it turns out, even though it's the last to fall, RogueNite is a breeze to beat with our current monster team!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before we can do anything else, the kingdom's minister appears, congratulates us, and beckons for us to follow him back to the throne room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back in the throne room, the King congratulates us on beating D class, but when he permits us to compete in C class and beyond, he almost immediately takes it back, highlighting a dilemma that's been going on since we've been training...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The King takes his leave, and even though we unlocked new gates, the lore jester is too busy panicking to give us any info. So, yeah...we'd better solve the problem in the Room of Strength and Anger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We'll need monsters better than what we have now to deal with the threat. I bred my own MedusaEye, as well as a WingSlime (same name in modern games, as far as I know) egg, since the Queen of GreatTree wanted to see one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided I wanted to use the WingSlime for now, but I want to be sure it's a female for breeding purposes, so I head over to the Egg Evaluator. Thank goodness I did, too, since it would have hatched male if I hadn't.

Also now seems like a good time to show you what craziness the Evaulator's BLESS option does...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So remember, everyone! You can change the sex of a chicken or some other creature that hatches from eggs if you sing scream at it loud enough! :)

Right, right...I also bred a Mimic (same name, though weaker variants in modern games are called canniboxes) egg. Requiring our BoxSlime and a Material monster, Mimic is normally absurdly strong in main series DQ games. It's been nerfed quite a bit here, but it's got a ton of potential, especially in its ATK stat, so that's great!

[​IMG]

I go ahead and hatch the MedusaEye and WingSlime eggs, as well as the Unicorn egg we've had laying around. Like I said before, it is one of the best healers in the game! I name them Pifa, Ting, and Twis, respectively.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Twis is definitely the best one so far!

I figured we'll do the next Gate in the next episode. For now, let's do some more exploring of GreatTree! The areas do change after some Gates are cleared.

First, I decided to check how many monsters we've owned thus far:

[​IMG]

At this point in the game, we could be doing better, but that's still a decent amount.

Going back to the Bazaar, I decide to talk to the miffed merchant who won't sell anything to anyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Geez, dude, who pissed in your cornflakes? Don't worry, he'll get his just desserts soon...and I do mean "soon"!

I find some ladies talking about Watabou, but the conversation quickly turns to me being asked if I know about Warubou.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As she says this, who else should jump into the scene, but that bastard Warubou himself? I think he was eavesdropping or something, because as Terry runs up to confront the elemental spirit, he kicks the lady over the edge of the leaf and leaves!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't worry, if you leave the screen and come back, she's fine, mentioning how she won't ever forget Warubou's name! I mean, I wouldn't either...

[​IMG]

In the Arena, I talk with the old men in front of the large Watabou statues. One mentions that I'm becoming quite good at training monsters, but reminds me not to get too cocky, lest I end up like Mick...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wait...what? This is news to me...Mick is still around?

[​IMG]

Oh wow, he is! I didn't know this! Let's talk to the Queen first to show her Ting the WingSlime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Woot, a free chance at a monster we really want! I think I know what I'll use it on, too...

Right after that, Her Majesty already has a new request for us.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a bit tougher - KingSlime (king slime) does show up later, but it's quite a bit later. Ah well. Talking with Mick has him offer to breed once again, but this time without his previous attitude...?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I accept, but I can't get the optimal monster from this pairing - I need another DeadNite myself...

The egg is our very own Skullroo, which as you'll remember was used on an enemy team in F class. Not bad!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hmmm, y'know, maybe he's not so bad after all...

I decide to train in Secret Gate 2 for a bit, and found a monster I may have forgotten to mention: SabreMan (erazor blade). They're actually really frail for being a living sword, as we often target them first from them having low HP.

[​IMG]

I bring them up in particular because I managed to obtain one:

[​IMG]

Back on Floor 1 of GreatTree, the ArmyAnt blocking the Stables has moved, granting us access to it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lets go talk to them I did something with Pifa and Twis, though I can't remember why I put them in the Farm...I think I wanted to use different monsters for a bit.

[​IMG]
    When we go down, there's a Toadstool who works in the Stable, a groggy Stubsuck, and Watabou, who is definitely awake and snacking on a huge piece of meat! I think it looks appetizing, myself...

Talking with the Toadstool reveals that Beast and Dragon monsters are generally weak to sleep; I forgot that Dragons were so susceptible to that...apparently, the drawers are laced with SleepAir, too...and a TinyMedal, too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Stubsuck reminds us that sleeping monsters gain no experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talking with Watabou at least three times brings up a humorous converation:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've never said no, so I say yes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where's...where's the capital "Y"...? He jumps away before I can question him.

[​IMG]

I swear the game designers didn't proofread the script.

Anyway! Moving to the left shows that there's a FaceTree here, who apparently "knows everything".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I remember mentioning this info before, but whatever. Heading into the room up north of here brings us to a Demonite, two giant candles, and two filled coffins.

[​IMG]

The candles are actually monsters!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interacting with the coffins makes two Horks pop out, annoyed that we woke them up. I dunno why, but this always cracked me up as a child:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heh...it still kinda does seem funny. The Demonite just tells us how to help change a monster's personality without any items (order the same command they don't like until they listen).

To the left of the FaceTree's room is another room, with a DragonKid who talks about metal slimes, and two sleepy Slimes it. They don't really have much to add.
    [​IMG]
    In the room north of here is a throne-room-themed stable, with a KingSlime on the throne. It looks really neat if you ask me!

[​IMG]

Finally, I went ahead and hatched Mimic's egg (naming it Mimo), caught another 1EyeClown in the wild with that Sirloin we got earlier, and bred both 1EyeClowns in my possession together, making the egg of a ChopClown (prickly prankster) a Devil-family ninja/jester monster with three-pronged knives and glaring eyes. It's actually quite good! I named this one Nobo.

[​IMG]

Here's what we're going to investigate the monster outbreak with:

[​IMG]

Even more finally, here's the Library entries of what we obtained in this episode!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHAT IS CAUSING THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF MONSTERS IN GREATTREE?

CAN TERRY STEM THE TIDE OF THEM?

WILL THE GAME'S GRAMMAR EVER IMPROVE?!

That's all for now!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017